how does anyone lose more than 1 pound a week?

Options
So I'm trying to lose 1 pound a week and MFP has me eating 1280 calories a day, which is barely above the recommended YOU BETTER NOT GO BELOW THIS OR YOU WILL DIE amount. Now, I realize that I'm at the lower end of the weight pool, but how does anyone possibly lose 5 pounds a week or more and still be above the minimum? How many calories do you get to eat each day and have you been successful? I'm just curious because I've been reading threads over the past two weeks when i decided to get serious about losing a few pounds because my pants are all too tight, and people all seem pretty religious about the 1200.

Replies

• Wanderinglanna
    Wanderinglanna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you exercise your calorie allowance goes up, so if you keep eating the same amount and increase your exercise that should help. There's also some natural health suggestions such as drinking a cup of green tea in the morning (no sugar or milk).
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit achieved via exercise !!!

do not eat back your exercise calories, and stay in the - 300 to -500 deficit range in your exercise to make it tolerable. If you can get past your first week or two of maintaining the calorie deficit your hunger pangs should drop off.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Try this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You won't be losing over 1lb a week unless you are very overweight though, if you only have a bit to lose it is going to be slow, as it should be.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Most the time those large numbers are due to a difference in water weight. Basically a 500 calorie deficit a day is what's required to lose 1 lb. in a week. If your BMR is 1280 then that is your minimum recommended. Add your exercise calories and your minimum should go up to equal that. To truly be healthy you should eat for your exercise calories or else you start to break down protein mass.
    Really you want to boost your metabolism by doing this and your body will burn fat naturally.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I or someone I could reach to strangle, would be dead if I ate nearly as low as 1200 in a day.