Binge eating

Options
13»

Replies

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is one of my biggest challenges for weight loss. I get the night time munchies, and I get them bad!

One thing I have found that helps is that after I eat dinner and I clean everything up I cut up a fruit (apple usually) and I eat that. Something about the sweetness about 20-30 minutes after dinner tricks my mind into thinking that I just got "dessert". Try that and see if it helps! (Sometimes I have to do that at lunch time if I am craving sweets)

Speaking of sweets here is something to help keep you on tract: It is Crazy advice, but ... when you're thinking about sweets and trying to fight the urge (at home) to eat everything in sight walk to your pantry pick up a 10 LB bag of sugar (Seriously!). Walk around the house for a few minutes holding that bag and imagine that almost ounce per ounce of sugar-filled foods you consume, you are almost ounce per ounce placing that heavy bag of sugar back on your body. It will make you think twice!

That sugar bag example, I'm going to grab one next time...and think about how much sugar I would be putting in my body, and how much insulin would be going through my body. I don't want young diabetes.

I've been watching my sugar intake, and limiting it a lot.... it's helped me so much, Sugar triggers binges for me... eating too much makes you hungry /crave .

Join the BED support group like someone else mentioned
  • milleyea
    milleyea Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me at night is peppermint tea. It's really comforting and the peppermint makes you not want to eat!

^^ this!

I keep a peppermint tea bag on hand at all times. When I have those sudden urges to binge I just put one in a bottle of water drink up! :drinker:
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed that all the posts here saying they have a problem with this or have had in the past are women. The men seem to be saying "have mental strength" or "concentrate on your goals" which is good advice but part of me thinks that they just don't have the same problem with this that we do. Am I wrong?
  • katkrak
    Options
    bump-will read later
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed that all the posts here saying they have a problem with this or have had in the past are women. The men seem to be saying "have mental strength" or "concentrate on your goals" which is good advice but part of me thinks that they just don't have the same problem with this that we do. Am I wrong?

It could always come back to the emotional side of why some women binge. Alot of us comment saying it's related to our emotions while I haven't heard many men say that. I know that there ARE men who are emotional eaters, and women who aren't, but I'm just thinking in general that men seem to have an easier time kicking the emotions out of the eating. I try not to buy into strereotypes but I do think they are sometimes based on fact that gets over generalized. Like all women eat a pint of ice cream after a break up.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I agree about emotional eating. If we could just learn to deal with the emotions rather than reaching for the chocolate we could conquer this
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    http://jezebel.com/5934499/binge-eating-is-a-big-problem-among-men-but-none-of-them-want-to-acknowledge-it
    The title says it all: "Binge Eating Is a Big Problem Among Men, but None of Them Want to Acknowledge It"

Simply put, it's more socially acceptable for men to overeat, and therefore they're less likely to admit a problem or notice a pattern.

I'm a man; I read this article back in August and it was a wake-up call for me, and it's what eventually led me to MFP. I decided to look for other articles (like this one http://abcnews.go.com/Health/10-men-binge-eaters-considered-womens-disorder-study/story?id=14814034#.UKMrtGcqnsU) and realized they were describing me. I would eat sensibly in the daytime, but once 9 PM rolled around, I turned into a monster and ate everything. Like some kind of Jekyll and Hyde. It didn't help that I was drinking 6 nights a week (which ruined any good decision making I might have had) and lived alone, and so I had nobody to be accountable to.

also, I love this joke:
    When the imaginary doctor that Louis C.K. invented for the purposes of our amusement asks, "How much do you eat before you feel full?" Louis answers incredulously that he doesn't just stop eating when he's had his fill. "The meal isn't over when I'm full," he says. "The meal is over when I hate myself."
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Many if not most of us are that way; sometimes due to the additives they put in these foods that make us crave more.... but I digress. The best fixes I have found are.

1. Minimize access to the items. Not in the house... etc.
    2. Exercise. Exercise, for me, helps me regulate my intake. For one thing, it is hard to treadmill and eat a pie at the same time.. But also, it changes my appetite...

Best wishes on your success.
  • jryan83
    jryan83 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love my sweets. They surely have led me down the dark path I walk now. Dramatic, but true.

Best advice I can offer is:
    1) Plan to eat 1 treat daily (or as often per week as you desire). Calculate it into you log first thing in the morning, so you'll know exactly what you can do with the rest of the day.
    2) Take charge of your snacks. Bake your own deserts and mix your own snack mixes. My favorite is regular cake mix made with applesauce (oil substitute) and egg beaters (egg substitute). Get recipes and make small substitutions that can help make them healthier.

These are two things I do everyday. They have helped me. Yes, I finally have my cake and eat it too (just healthier versions).
  • BiancaR1
    Options
    Binge eating is one of my biggest challenges for weight loss. I get the night time munchies, and I get them bad!

One thing I have found that helps is that after I eat dinner and I clean everything up I cut up a fruit (apple usually) and I eat that. Something about the sweetness about 20-30 minutes after dinner tricks my mind into thinking that I just got "dessert". Try that and see if it helps! (Sometimes I have to do that at lunch time if I am craving sweets)

Speaking of sweets here is something to help keep you on tract: It is Crazy advice, but ... when you're thinking about sweets and trying to fight the urge (at home) to eat everything in sight walk to your pantry pick up a 10 LB bag of sugar (Seriously!). Walk around the house for a few minutes holding that bag and imagine that almost ounce per ounce of sugar-filled foods you consume, you are almost ounce per ounce placing that heavy bag of sugar back on your body. It will make you think twice!
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too...my trouble time is after dinner...one thing that REALLY helps is to not have unhealthy food available to eat in your house if it's possible. Just don't even buy it. That way if you do feel a binge coming, your only options are healthy foods. Although I have been so tempted as to drive to a fast food joint to get my "fix" at times but with it getting cold, I don't want to go through the trouble of having to go out and warm my car up just to go eat stuff I know I shouldn't being eating that time of night anyway!!
    ALSO ....try drinking hot tea at night (or even hot chocolate!...its still better than a full out binge, right? plus it will help satisfy your sweet tooth, and you'll have to take your time drinking it since its hot and that will give you time to hopefully get past the urge/craving...they even make diet hot chocolate now!! Like 25 calories or something like that)...something about drinking hot liquid is very soothing and comforting and I think with most binge eaters , like myself, the binges are about comfort and comforting ourselves......so finding another source of comfort helps...
    ALSO, ..if you know you binge at the same time every time, start preparing for that binge urge beforehand. Try distracting yourself with a book, games, call a friend, anything that might take your mind off of it...Good luck...a lot of us are dealing with it just like you are so keep trying. :smile:
  • runningfataway
    Options
    -Go to your room.
    -Listen to your favorite music.
    -Do yoga or any exercise to keep you busy.
    -Talk to someone.
    -Put on nail polish.
    -Write down how you feel in a diary, what you are craving and what the cause could be.
    -Drink water or make yourself tea.
    -If you find yourself truly hungry; make yourself a big salad with some filing protein.
    -Dont deprive yourself.
  • getitgirl11
    getitgirl11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Binge eating can definitely be a rough thing. Feel free to add me or message me if you ever want a friend to talk to or someone for support--I would love to help you through this! You can do it! ( :

My first thought is this, are you consuming the right number of calories at the right increments throughout the day? You're best way to avoid "binge" temptations is to eat 5-6 meals per day, pretty evenly spaced out and drinking enough water to hydrate your body.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

This is a great site to figure out your caloric intake based on your height, age, weight, and activity level.

Snacks are also a MUST to avoid potential binge pitfalls. Here are some great ideas for snacks that I split up into proteins, carbs, and healthy fats ( :

Protein
    Beef/Turkey Jerky
    Protein bars (Pure Protein brand--I'm telling you, the Chocolate Peanut Butter ones are only 200 calories and will help with ANY sweet craving! DELICIOUS!)
    Shakeology (with Shaker-cup) *I love the Chocolate Vegan--add in some almond milk and 1 TB all natural peanut butter and it's as good as Reeses (:
    Tuna (in easy-tear pouch)
    Greek Yogurt (stays fine almost all day with fridge)
    Whey protein drinks (with Shaker-cup)

Carbs
    Pita Chips
    Instant Oatmeal (if you can make water hot, you can poor it into the pouch)
    “Cliff” bars (they are organic but be careful about carbs)
    Whole wheat crackers
    Oranges
    Bananas
    Apples
    Cherries
    Blueberries
    Raisins (careful about eating too much – they are high in fructose)
    Rice Cakes
    Granola* (careful about eating too much – it can be high in calories)
    *NOT Granola bars, just granola cereal, low in sugar

Healthy Fats
    Almonds
    Peanuts
    Cashews

Remember, a healthy deficit is about 500-1000 calories a day to loose 1-2 pounds a week. Just remember, you are eating to fuel your body and your body thrives off clean eating! ( :
  • peanutbutterpretzels
    Options
    I'm a binge eater too! I've gained like 5 pounds in the past 2 weeks and only lost 1 so far :( add me if you wish!
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I am the same at times! I usually binge when I am feeling emotional, stressed or tired. The only way I seem to overcome it is by distracting myself - so usually I try to do the opposite - rather sit down and eat in whatever of the above moods, I try and distract myself with gym or exercise. It usually works. When on holidays, and I have already done gym, my only other distraction is shopping (not so good for the savings account!).
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    Binge eating can definitely be a rough thing. Feel free to add me or message me if you ever want a friend to talk to or someone for support--I would love to help you through this! You can do it! ( :

My first thought is this, are you consuming the right number of calories at the right increments throughout the day? You're best way to avoid "binge" temptations is to eat 5-6 meals per day, pretty evenly spaced out and drinking enough water to hydrate your body.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

This is a great site to figure out your caloric intake based on your height, age, weight, and activity level.

Snacks are also a MUST to avoid potential binge pitfalls. Here are some great ideas for snacks that I split up into proteins, carbs, and healthy fats ( :

Protein
    Beef/Turkey Jerky
    Protein bars (Pure Protein brand--I'm telling you, the Chocolate Peanut Butter ones are only 200 calories and will help with ANY sweet craving! DELICIOUS!)
    Shakeology (with Shaker-cup) *I love the Chocolate Vegan--add in some almond milk and 1 TB all natural peanut butter and it's as good as Reeses (:
    Tuna (in easy-tear pouch)
    Greek Yogurt (stays fine almost all day with fridge)
    Whey protein drinks (with Shaker-cup)

Carbs
    Pita Chips
    Instant Oatmeal (if you can make water hot, you can poor it into the pouch)
    “Cliff” bars (they are organic but be careful about carbs)
    Whole wheat crackers
    Oranges
    Bananas
    Apples
    Cherries
    Blueberries
    Raisins (careful about eating too much – they are high in fructose)
    Rice Cakes
    Granola* (careful about eating too much – it can be high in calories)
    *NOT Granola bars, just granola cereal, low in sugar

Healthy Fats
    Almonds
    Peanuts
    Cashews

Remember, a healthy deficit is about 500-1000 calories a day to loose 1-2 pounds a week. Just remember, you are eating to fuel your body and your body thrives off clean eating! ( :

I get a little confused about BMR. Is that the amount of calories we should eat daily, no matter what? Even when I did Turbo Jam/Fire I would eat around 1,300 calories. Here I eat 1,200-1,700 depending on how much I work out.
  • jayjayingram
    Options
    I have a cup of tea with sugar or sugarine in bed. Get up brush my teeth and go to sleep. If I am sitting around watching telly in the lounge I want to eat. So sleeping works for me!! Plus try not to buy all those yummy items, if it is not there then you can't eat it. Stock cupboard and fridge with healthy foods that way you do not feel too bad if you want a snack
  • getitgirl11
    getitgirl11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Your BMR stands for your basal metabolic rate, meaning this is what you need JUST to survive.

Once you know that, you can figure our your caloric needs through the Harris Benedict Equation, which brings into play your activity level. See the link below.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

For example, my BMR is 1372.65. Because I'm doing Insanity: the Asylum (a HARD workout program that is done 6 days/week) but because I'm more interested in toning up, i use the "moderately active" calculation--taking 1372.65 X 1.55 = 2127.6075, so roughly about 2100 calories a day.

However, because I am more interested in loosing a little weight and toning up, I subtract 500 calories for a daily intake of 1600 calories/day. See the link below from that same site in reference to subtracting calories to loose weight. Remember, like I mentioned the healthy deficit is 500-1000 calories/day to lose 1-2 pounds a week!

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php

Hope this helps! ( :
  • well same is the problem for me. I always save a few calories from my daily intake target for my binges lol. Plus I keep only healthy food in my house so nothing sweet to binge on.
  • upferadoption
    Options
    My whole life has been on and off binging! I think my advice would be to make sure you are having very healthy low calorie snacks available throughout the day so you can eat something at least every 2 hours. That way you can still feel like you get to eat and that you aren't depriving yourself. Snack in between meals so you don't feel as hungry, but there is a difference between having a snack and grazing all day. I find that when I make a more conscious effort to be more in control of the portion sizes and how I plan my food day, and make sure to snack well in between (maybe a snack every 1-2 hours), I'm less likely to eat my house out of food. Also, don't skip meals. You will want to eat more of what you crave later. I think it's important to have options around the house similar to what you are craving that are low calorie, so you can get the taste without the calories. EX: I started buying the Mousse Temptations for the chocolate craving. 60 calories barely will put a dent in my day, EVEN if I had that at night in the evening and even if it bumped me over on my goal a little. If your craving is something salty, COUNT IT OUT. If 130=17 chips, count out 17 chips. 130 calories is really not that big of a deal. Put the rest away, find a hobby, get busy. You have to train yourself to realize what a portion size is, and when you get your portion, eat it slow and one at a time. I would not say to deprive yourself though or not have foods you like in your house to avoid temptation. Part of a lifestyle changing is learning to eat in moderation and being aware of what you put in your mouth.