Use of Energy Drinks

Options
2»

Replies

• Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I know it's not good to take and as long as I'm not taking it excessively I'm not worried... I don't drink them all the time, just once in a while(IF THAT) if I MUST and cannot get through the day. I just bought 2 today as I plan(ed?) to pull an all nigher to finish a paper or drink it tomorrow morning. I'm sore now so I don't feel like doing much of anything.....anyway. it taste aweful, and unhealthy, but I'll continue.

*5 hr energy shot*

ETA: coffee and other energy drinks (and I just about tried them all that's carried in my area) doesn't and never worked for me. 5 hr energy is the only one that does (thank god I found someting!) plus, I don't get up early enough to make coffee (not a morning person) and I simply don't know how.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to coke zero, that's just for general everyday use. I sometimes use caffiene pre-workout and find it makes my workouts better. Before I started taking it I read a bunch of peer review studies about the use of caffiene (pure form) and exercise and found that most of the studies said that it is effective for boosting performance in endurance type activities and to a lesser degree short term high-intensity efforts. I also found some studies saying that taken in tablet form it does not significantly dehydrate you (energy drinks might though). I decided to give it a go and it seems to work for me, especially for longer runs and when I play football.

If you want to have the boost without the crap, take the caffiene and avoid the energy drinks/coffe and the additional sugar/fake sugar and potential dehydration. Usually take about 1/2 an hour before a run to give time for absorption.

Links to a few extracts to give you an idea but there are heaps of studies and the evidence is fairly conclusive

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/8426941/reload=0;jsessionid=sd3LJ3lZ6MNsjpkobUdp.6

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/adis/smd/2001/00000031/00000011/art00002

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I prefer organic energy drinks.

-6oz purified water
    -1 tsp honey
    -1 tsp cinammon

Swirl the ingredients together and serve chilled. I have one of these every morning.

100 internets for you.
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    I prefer organic energy drinks.

-6oz purified water
    -1 tsp honey
    -1 tsp cinammon

Swirl the ingredients together and serve chilled. I have one of these every morning.

derp.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    If you're using energy drinks to wake you up in the morning, then coffee is a lot cheaper and healthier. If you use energy drinks for pre-workouts, then pre-workout supplements would also be cheaper and more effective. Either way, I wouldn't waste my money on them, especially the ones loaded with sugar.

Agreed. Coffee is the way to go.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I typically drink 2-5 ultra zero monsters a day. One in the morning, one pre work out, and possibly a few more during the day or if I hit the gym more than once that day I drink another.