Weight going no where but motivated as hell

Options
Hey all,

Im a cancer survivor and determined as all hell to lose about 18 kgs. My aim is to get fit and strong and be around for quite a few more years. Having had chemo twice, i have been told that this can really affect your metabolism. Now im not complaining as im healthy and I'm alive and will not let this beat me. Having been told it will take at least 2 months to start seeing any change and for my metabolism to kick in I am about 4 days away from the 2 month mark.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated or if you just want a new friend, Im a 36 year old fulltime working, part time business owner, mum of beautful twin 5 year old girls.

Peace and Pushups all.

Lina

Replies

• CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You go girl. If you have beat cancer 3 times you can do anything! Good for you. You kicked cancers a** now time to kick some in the weight loss arena :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    To give you hope, my 58 year old mother who battled breast cancer 3 years ago was able to drop 35 pounds this year after undergoing 16 chemo treatments and months of radiation. They told her she'd have trouble losing the weight she gained with chemo and had to be very regimented, but she did it.

BTW, great job kicking cancers *ss.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, those girls are CUTE!!!! I don't know anything about chemo and metabolism, but I had a sister who had leukemia so I know the treatment is unimaginable unless you have been through it.
    I love your post title! Stay that way and when it gets tough, think of those two little angels you have!
  • LinaS1976
    LinaS1976 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    thats is awesome. Thanks for telling me that. Gives me hope im on the right path
  • LinaS1976
    Options
    Thanks cedarghost. That is one of the main reasons why i am doing this and also because i went to an endocrinologist who said that cancer feeds off fat cells. The less you have the less likely it is to return. Um enough motivation for me i say. 3 times is seriously enough.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You are clearly a fighter and sounds like you have all of the motivation that you need to make it happen!! Good luck on your journey!
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love the title of your post! I can tell you are strong and are going to do it!!!!!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I really recommend Jamie Eason's live fit program on bodybuilding.com it's a free 12 week program that lists out workouts and nutrition plan into 3 phases. Building muscle helps up your base metabolism, and weight lifting helps change your shape where as cardio tends to make you a smaller version of you.

It's a great introduction to weight lifting, and there are guides on how to do each exercise if it's something you are unfamiliar with.
  • LinaS1976
    Options
    thank you. by far my twins are my greatest accomplishment, second is beating cancer 3 times .

success i have started seeing some weightloss. 0.6kgs down in a few days
  • LinaS1976
    Options
    thanks so much. All i can do it try
  • LinaS1976
    Options
    thanks ill check that website out
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I am so very proud of you and congrats on being a survivor! Woop woop!!! I loooooove your topic title and post you are SO motivated!
    You've got the motivation so as long as the doctors say it's ok to push along I say give it a go and keep it steady and logging lovely girl. :)

(((HUGS))) from across the pond...
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Also take measurements, sometimes the scale doesn't fully reflect the changes that are happening. Lifting has made me lose inches, but not a whole lot of pounds.

You sound like a pretty amazing and strong woman, you can totally tackle this challenge too!
  • beaudrydasha
    beaudrydasha Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I put off "dieting" for a few years b/c I thought a chemo-changed metabolism would make it impossible. After chemo and a hysterectomy (?) and without hormore repacement I rapidly put on 45 pounds and it just seemed to keep creeping up. ALL I did was to follow MFP's calorie guidlines, for me that included keeping my daily food journal, staying under my calories and hitting the gym to give myself another 200 cal or so a day. I was shocked when I started losing that 1 pound per week! I didn't log in until I had lost some initial weight but now I have lost all those 45 pounds. My encologist was very pleased with me at my last appt. He also recommended weights to keep bone density.

The long and short of this: I psyched myself out for years that it would be too dificult to lose weight. It turns out I just had to get started. Now I feel 100x better and look years younger. Good luck with your goals, stay healthy.