Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    too much sugar
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Not quite oatmeal, but I have started making quinoa with chopped up apples in it. Then, I put it in my fridge for the week, and heat it up in the mornings for breakfast. I put the recipe below, but I ALWAYS multiple the recipe by 4, make it on Sunday, and eat it for the week.

Add 1/4 cup dried quinoa and 1/4 apple, chopped, to 1/2 cup boiling water. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Top with 2 tablespoons sliced almonds and 2 teaspoons honey.

Nutrition facts: 288 calories, 8g protein, 47g carbohydrate, 8g fat (0.7g saturated), 6g fiber
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    It makes about as much sense as instant lettuce.

hahahaha true!! anything instant...can it really be good for you???
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    to much sugar !!! get the big container and make yourself. add a little something to sweeten, i like to mash bananas in mine but they say bananas cause belly fat :( also.. instant oatmeal is processed, not good

Yea, I definitely don't buy into the ad that shows up on nutrition sites that bananas cause belly fat. I doubt that anyone gained weight due to the number of bananas they were eating. For me, it was more candy bars, cheeses, and other not healthy stuff.

Edited: I should point out that cheese is not unhealthy on it's own-- just the amount I was eating.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I eat the instant Quaker "Weight Control" because it has less sugar, more protein and still tastes good.

I have better things to do with my life than figure out ways to make bland things taste good for such a miniscule difference in health benefits.
  • tummytonya
    Options
    it would be good if it didnt cause spike in insulin for me. i find myself hungry after i eat any kind of oatmeat.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I buy the Quaker lower sugar instant oatmeal to take with me when I travel for work. I use steel cut oats when I'm home. I think it just depends on what your needs are and what product fits best.
  • jiz35
    jiz35 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Is oatmeal the same as porridge oats?

I make my porridge up with water and add 5g sunflower seeds, 5g pumpkin seeds, 5 g raisins or goji berries and 1tsp flax seeds. I try to use Waitrose porridge but if I can't get it here I use Mornflakes. Both only takes 3-4 minutes to cook so very easy to do in the morning, especially if like me you make up bags of weighed ingredients in advance. Easy, straight from the cupboard into the pot.

You can "friend me" & check out my diary if you want to see nutritional value.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Loaded with sugar and crap. Oatmeal is so easy to make. Sub 1/2 water for a little apple cider and add apples and a few pecans. Delish and SO much better for you...

Woah, you just blew my mind. That sounds so amazing.

It is totally amazeballs- I promise!

4mhvp.jpg

Recipe here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/CarrieStL/view/recipe-fall-harvest-oatmeal-445772
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I eat the instant Quaker "Weight Control" because it has less sugar, more protein and still tastes good.

I have better things to do with my life than figure out ways to make bland things taste good for such a miniscule difference in health benefits.

I'm with you. It's better than donuts! However, I did recently buy a big container of oats just from the $ aspect!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    People seem to think instant oatmeal = sugar. There is plain instant oatmeal
  • martintanz
    Options
    I buy the Quaker lower sugar instant oatmeal to take with me when I travel for work. I use steel cut oats when I'm home. I think it just depends on what your needs are and what product fits best.

Pretty much my position, though I don't travel much for work. Still, there are times when I need something quick, and instant oats fit the bill. I usually mix it with some milk and protein powder. Not as healthy as steel cut oats, but healthier option than a muffin, or even most cold cereals.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I grew up on the instant stuff (mostly for camping - after my little brother was born, my mom went all natural on all our foods!), and on regular oatmeal fixed with butter, half & half, brown sugar, and the occasional raisins. Delicious, but not the healthiest. :bigsmile:

Now I eat oatmeal three times a week - I love the Trader Joe's Multi-Grain Hot Cereal, and I fix it with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of plain 2% Greek yogurt (also Trader Joe's - theirs is the BEST!), 1 Tbs honey, 1/8 cup walnuts, and some fresh fruit (blueberries, pears, apples, bananas, peaches, or raisins if I don't have any fresh fruit), and top it with cinnamon. Tastes like dessert, creamy and delicious, but not mushy, and just sweet enough. My favorite breakfast after a run!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I eat the instant stuff. It's a lot easier for me to throw it in a bowl for myself when my kids want something different. I'm not a morning person at all and it's hard enough to even make myself eat breakfast...
  • rjansara
    Options
    It's not bad. Mix a regular packet with an apple cinnamon one and you're still only at 230 calories for breakfast. That's using water, of course. If it had too much sugar, it wouldn't be low cal. I ate it a lot in the past 8 weeks and lost 16 lbs. In the end, it's all about the calories.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Completely agree. Sugar doesn't scare me either
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Let's just say this much. If you had the decision between a donut or instant oatmeal, you should pick the oatmeal. But plain is better. Sugar doesn't scare me and lost 40+ pounds while eating "Weight Control" instant oatmeal almost ever day for breakfast at work.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Steel-cut oats for the win
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    http://cancerdietitian.com/2008/11/quick-oats-steel-cut-oats-or-regular-oats-whats-the-difference.html

There is also a link to a pdf on there titled GRAINS and LOSSES that compares quite a few oatmeals.