chinese take out!

Options
Already got you drooling over it :P

Anyway on Friday I am going down home to stay with my parents for the weekend as it's my birthday on saturday and i haven't been down in quiet some time due to working extra hard in uni but lately it has been a bit on and off with my parents regarding my eating habits as I am vegan. I am ordering a chinese to basically prove that i have not changed and do not have an eating problem but the thing is i don't know what is vegan to order! also i don't want rice, i had some last week and got serious stomach pains from it also i do not want to order chips because they are fried and I haven't eaten friend food in 5 years lol :D go me :P would be it rude to ask for my meal to be with bean sprouts instead of rice and chips??

I was thinking mixed vegetables in sweet chili sauce or sweet and sour sauce with bean sprouts??
any other ideas for the sauce and make sure it's vegan :)

many thank yous and hugs!

Replies

• spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think both the foods you have suggested sounds delicious, but will that be enough to convince your parents? I know when my parents get a bee in their bonnet about something, it's difficult to get them to see my point of view.

Anything involving Black Bean would also be yummy!

Good luck!
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried because I know that a lot of the sauces are made with animal based stocks :/ I really don't know if the local chinese is vegan friendly, i live in a very small village and 90%of the locals i know are giant meat eaters hahaha
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    ring them up now and ask? this way your parents will never know and you may be able to prearrange a vegan friendly dish with them.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I think I'd offer to cook instead, that way you know it's vegan, THEY know you can take care of yourself and you can prove to them vegan doesn't mean just vegetables.
  • tishka11
    Options
    I am vegan too! and have eaten chinese take out....aaannnd strangely enough i am allergic to rice and potatoes so i had almost exactly the same issues as you when looking at the menu!

the best thing to aim for is anything that has a bean curd product in it...and then generally things like their stir fries
    Im not the biggest fan of oil so i tend to stay away from ones like that but found a very nice garlic, ginger and soy tofu stir fry at a chinese take out. a lot also have things like sweet and sour eggplant which is really nice - they just soak the eggplant in the sauce and it absorbs it all...they dont fry it or anything
    but yeah....just look for stir fries...or soups....even random things like ling yu balls are delicious!
    Im also allergic to mushrooms though so i can remember if theres really nice mushroom based meals too ...sorry...didnt take any notice of those ones haha
  • tishka11
    Options
    Also....just askhem to make it the way you want...i always do...personally i think that i am the one giving them my money so they shoould make it right for me within reason of course...not asking them to change the entire dish or anything....but often i ask them to leave out a certan vegetable or sauce, or to have vegetables in stead of rice...and i think thats ok...they are usually pretty kool with it

and dont always believe them when they say the sauces are vegan...a lot of the tim they dont know and just want to make a sale...i have ordered a meal before that they said had no meat....it came out with bits of pork in it!