Gym Help

Options
Hi... I have finally decided that its time to head back to the gym but Im struggling with what to do now Im there. I am unable to do high impact exercising like running due to an ankle issue. I am looking to lose weight... 54lbs (or more depending on how I look!!!) But my main aim is to get back into the habit of exercise and enjoying going to the gym so I dont have a set timescale for the weight loss... anything off a week will keep me happy!!! Just wondering if anyone can suggest anything that I should be doing... I keep hearing about making sure I do weights but really unsure of how to start that... :-)

Thanks
Lyndz

Replies

• RoxySherwood89
    RoxySherwood89 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm sort of in the same boat. I used to go to the gym 4x a week and in the last 3 months I haven't set foot in it! For low impact however I used to use the cross trainer as its good cardio less the impact. Xx
  • Medwayguy
    Options
    You can also use Row/Cycle ( both are cardio ). Just drink fluids, plug in some music and enjoy the burn ;)
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My husband and I like the row machine if you have one. Does your gym have the weight machines. You could start on those for weight lifting and then move on to some free weights when you feel comfortable.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    We can't tell you what you'll enjoy doing.

The best exercise is one you enjoy and will do regularly. Does your gym have classes? Try one. Do you like walking? Yoga? Swimming? Ask a PT to come up with a program for you.

Yes, weights are fantastic, I suggest you read up on NROLFW or StrongLifts... But really just start. It gets easier after that.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi... I have finally decided that its time to head back to the gym but Im struggling with what to do now Im there. I am unable to do high impact exercising like running due to an ankle issue. I am looking to lose weight... 54lbs (or more depending on how I look!!!) But my main aim is to get back into the habit of exercise and enjoying going to the gym so I dont have a set timescale for the weight loss... anything off a week will keep me happy!!! Just wondering if anyone can suggest anything that I should be doing... I keep hearing about making sure I do weights but really unsure of how to start that... :-)

Thanks
    Lyndz

I would check at your gym and see if they offer a free personal training session, or a mini class to show you how to use the machines. I am a YMCA member and they have "fitstart" classes to get you comfortable with the fitness area. At my particular Y, they have a personal trainer on duty during certain hours...as long as he doesn't have a client, he is more than happy to help you with stuff--yesterday I asked him to help me do squats with a barbell ( I have been using the assisted machine).

I would suggest seeing if they have a seated elliptical.
  • lyndzmcg84
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...

Its a basic/budget gym that Im at so the very few classes they have don't suit with my work hours. They do have loads of weight machines which just look a bit scary... never liked them even when I was smaller and went to the gym loads I used to do Body Pump 3 times a week for weight but that not an option anymore :-(

I think Im going to brave it up and use them at my next session... I love cycling so the bike is a must for me and I will be giving the rower a try as well!!!

Not looking at using a personal trainer mainly due to the expense involved... Too poor for that now!!!

XX
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...

Its a basic/budget gym that Im at so the very few classes they have don't suit with my work hours. They do have loads of weight machines which just look a bit scary... never liked them even when I was smaller and went to the gym loads I used to do Body Pump 3 times a week for weight but that not an option anymore :-(

I think Im going to brave it up and use them at my next session... I love cycling so the bike is a must for me and I will be giving the rower a try as well!!!

Not looking at using a personal trainer mainly due to the expense involved... Too poor for that now!!!

XX

If they have a PT on staff, you *should* be able to ask him/her to show you how to use the strength machines to ensure that you have good form to prevent injury. This should be free.

I don't have the $$ for a trainer either, but I want to get one BAD. Until then, I totally listen in on his training sessions with private clients, or when he does fitstart classes. When I saw a woman doing the leg press in the free weight area, I asked her about it, and she showed me how to use it. Monday I decided to try barbell squats again now that I am stronger...so I went up to the trainer and said " hey Justin, do you have a couple minutes free to help me? I want to do squats again and need you to check my form so I don't hurt myself" he was more than happy to do so.