Walking and Running

Options
Hi, i´m brazilian, from Rio de Janeiro.

I started my exercices walking (40 minutes), everý day.
I want run on two weeks.

i´m thirty pounds overweight.

Is possible?

i´m back play soccer on every Saturday!

Replies

• zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it, but C25K is used by alot of people to get into running. It is an app you can download onto your phone or Ipod Touch that is a virtual coach. You start out doing periods of walking then jogging until you are running a 5K in 30 minutes. Or you could just do some HIIT. Walk for a few minutes to warm up, then run as fast as you can for 30-60 seconds, then walk for 1-2 minutes.

Good luck!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Anything you do is good for you. Try and run a bit during your walk. 4 minutes walk, 1 minute run. For 40 mins. Next week 3.5 minute walk, 1.5 minute run.....etc....
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When you first start running, don't try too run fast and don't try too run far! Just start at a steady slow pace and when it starts to get hard to breathe, run another 10 seconds, then walk til you are ready to try again. When I first started, I could barely make one lap at a high school track! Now I can run 14 laps non-stop but when I do this, I am running at a slow steady pace. I got to 14 laps 5 months after I was dieting and exercising and after I had already dropped 33 lbs.
  • LorMuldoon81
    LorMuldoon81 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm using the 'couch to 5K' app. I'm on week one and it encourages you to run for 60 seconds then walk for 90. You do this for 30 mins and by the end of the podcast you have ran for 8 mins.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    All good advice!

30lbs Overweight shouldn't stop you from running....when I started out losing weight, I chose running....why? I dunno, I just did.

However, I was 225lbs, I'm 5'9.....that's pretty damn overweight. I'm now about 167. Don't let a number on a scale tell you what you should do! Just listen to your body and take it slow!
  • runwithmike
    Options
    Yes it is possible. Slowly add segments of running during your walk. I hear a lot of success stories using the Couch to 5k.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    Hi, i´m brazilian, from Rio de Janeiro.

I started my exercices walking (40 minutes), everý day.
    I want run on two weeks.

i´m thirty pounds overweight.

Is possible?

i´m back play soccer on every Saturday!

Don't be afraid to stretch your limits - but listen to your body too.

Start with a walk, or stretching - jog as briskly and far as you can - walk some more while you recover - jog again. It is the sustained effort that burns the fat, not the sprint. As you get stronger, your "jog" will naturally speed up without you even noticing and you will be walking less and less. Always try to run just a bit longer or faster than you did last time.

Sore muscles from working harder is good, but sharp pain (in knees or in your side because you are not geting enough oxygen) is bad and you are going too hard for just now. Do more than you thought you could, and soon you will be able to do more than you even imagined.