BMR, TDEE and MFP settings?

Options
So, MFP had me set at eating 1440 calories per day at sedentary. Then I made it lightly active and it gave me 1640. But I added it all up and my BMR is 2046.2. Why is MFP setting me too low? Should I manually adjust that? And how would I do that. Should I just do what MFP says?

I've been mostly, except for a few really bad days, been trying to do what MFP says to do, most of the time I don't even eat enough by their standards, and I'm certainly not eating enough by the math for BMR. At first I was losing fine. Then, when I started doing the 30 Day Shred, I stalled and even gained 2 pounds. I thought exercising more would make me lose weight faster!

Can someone who understands all of this tell me how much I'm actually supposed to eat?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    MFP does math. You put numbers in, it spews out whatever it gets from doing the math. It's up to you to know if it's a good number or not. You should be eating above your BMR and below your TDEE but if you are very heavy the BMR numbers can be off because the calculations don't work well on the either end of "normal".

It's up to you how you want to set it. If you can eat at 1600 and feel alright then I'd stay there for a bit and see how it goes. That's more than enough calories to pack in some good nutrition and get you going on some substantial weight loss.