Cashew Chicken

Options
cattiemac
cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
I absolutely LOVE cashew chicken and tried for a long time to find a recipe that compared in taste to one that you would find in a Thai restaurant. Here's a yummy Cashew Chicken recipe I got from the Rachel Ray 30 Minute Meals cookbook and I changed it around a bit based on my own likes/dislikes. It's prefect served over basmati or jasmine rice - not included in nutritional information.

Rachel Ray - Cashew! God Bless You Chicken
4 servings

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
2 Tbs sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced & mashed
2 Tbs rice wine, rice wine vinegar or dry sherry
A couple of shakes crushed red pepper flakes
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 Red pepper, seeded and sliced
1 Green pepper, seeded and diced
1 medium onion, sliced
3 heaping tablespoons-size scoops hoisin sauce
A couple of handfuls unsalted cashews

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine chicken with 1 tablespoon sesame oil, garlic, rice wine, crushed red pepper and black pepper. Set aside and let it hang out.
2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil in wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat until it smokes. Add red pepper, green pepper and onion and stir-fry for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the coated chicken and cook another 4 or 5 minutes. Add the hoisin and toss to coat evenly. Place chicken on a bed of jasmine rice and top with cashews.

This is in the database under "Rachel Ray Recipe - Cashew Chicken".
Nutritional Info:
Calories - 262
Total Fat - 10.6g
Cholesterol - 10.7mg
Sodium - 223.7mg
Total carbs - 38.2g
Fiber - 9.2g
Protein - 10.5g

Replies

• kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! I love Rachael Ray recipes; generally easy and fast. Next time you make, please post a picture; I'm eager to see what it looks like. I'll try making it myself the next time bell peppers go on sale. :happy:
  • sudzie88
    sudzie88 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    bump! this sounds yummy :) maybe ill try it next week
  • ciciquick
    Options
    cashews are my weakness! great idea...bump
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I just tried this tonight. I didn't care for it at first; thought it was kind of bland, but when I added an extra sprinkle of red pepper flakes, it got a lot better. I made it with rice wine vinegar, noticing that it had less calories than a comparable amount of sherry, but maybe next time I'll try the sherry; might have more taste. I also made it with peanuts instead of cashews, since that's what I had on hand. I really liked the taste of the cooked veggies. All in all, not bad.
  • loritas
    loritas Posts: 51
    Options
    bump
  • ktidman
    ktidman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump