White noise for sleeping

Options
I've slept with a fan running for as long as I can remember. I tried to break that habit this weekend. The first night went great actually, but each night since progressively worse until I had to turn it back on last night because I could not sleep at all.

The fan is a little too loud though, and kind of unnecessary. Do any of you use any kind of white noise to help you sleep? Radio and TV are no good. I need something pretty subtle to help me make it through the night with a good night of sleep.

Any suggestions? Real ones of course. Thanks.

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I sometimes need some background noise to rest. Household noises are too distracting - kids, dog, etc.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, you could use something like the following app, which has been helpful to me at times:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mizusoft.relaxandsleep

It has a nice variety of sound effects.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I've used a fan for a long time. If it helps you sleep, I wound't call it unnecessary. If it's too loud, get a quiter one. They even make little white noise machines for just this purpose.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I use an app on my Android phone called "White Noise Lite". It has all kinds of white noise sounds you can use. I use one called "crickets" which basically sounds like you are camping out.
    The cool thing is, if you travel, you always have the same white noise, no matter where you sleep.
  • prinlea2000
    prinlea2000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have used a fan for as long as I can remember. I would agree with the PP - if it's too loud, get a quieter one or just turn that one down to a lower level.

If I am somewhere & don't have a fan available, sometimes I will leave the fan in the bathroom running to have some sort of noise.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I use a big noisy fan pointed at my head! Love it! Sleep like a baby!
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have slept with a little fan forever and will never stop. It helps me sleep. I see no reason in stopping. :smile:
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I have used a fan for years, just find one that is more quiet than the one you have. I also like the soft flow of air, so just a white noise machine wouldnt work for me.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options

If I am somewhere & don't have a fan available, sometimes I will leave the fan in the bathroom running to have some sort of noise.

Me too. But I always try to make sure to bring my fan with us to hotels or where ever but If I forget it, I will try to leave some kind of fan on.
  • Argent78
    Argent78 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Dohm-DS Dual Speed Sound Conditioner by Marpac

This is the best thing!!!! I love it
  • sylwheat
    sylwheat Posts: 125
    Options
    I have to have "noise"....but not TV or radio. I bought a sleeping machine from JC Penny...Actually bought 3 at the same time - thru the catalog. It is great..just what I need to sleep. When I travel, I use the white noise app on my smart phone...not as good - but it works.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I've used a fan for white noise AND because I like cool air on my face. I'm bundled up from my neck down, but I like cool breeze on my face. I tried to skip in on vacation and was wickedly tired all week because I didn't have it!! Lesson Learned!
  • lynnacuff
    Options
    i sleep with the fan on and i have one on my alarm that has chimes i fall asleep to that.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    just my husbands horrible snoring....
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    Computer on my desk has fans that run most of the time, it's just enough to break the silence.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, there are all sorts of Apps for smart phones or tablets. There are also "Noise Machines" you can buy. I have one from Homedics (I bought it at Bed, Bath, & Beyond several years ago). I initially purchased it when I was in college and worked nights in the summer (11 PM to 7 AM), and it helped to drown out the sounds of the neighborhood kids playing while I was trying to sleep. Now I use it in my classroom during Journal Writing time.

ETA: I think I paid around $20 for it. It has 6 "sounds" and a volume control. It also has a timer, but I've never used it with the timer.
  • Scott_Chaput
    Options
    I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Conditioner-Marpac-formerly-Sleepmate-980A/dp/B000KUHFGM/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1352816028&sr=1-1&keywords=sleep+mate

It uses a fan inside that you can adjust the pitch by twisting the base and top to adjust the air flow and change the sound. Unlike the digital ones it uses real air noise which I find to be more natural... It doesn't act like a fan at all it just makes noise.

I bought an outlet adapter I plug it into that is turned on and off with a wireless switch that looks like a lightswitch. I put it on the wall where I can reach from bed and turn it on when I'm ready to go to sleep. So you never see the white noise machine and I still get the white noise.

When I'm on the go I use the iOS app "Ambiance" and it has a sleep mate sound you can download.

I don't see a problem with using white noise to sleep. No need to kick the habit in my mind.
  • IzzyBmydog
    IzzyBmydog Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've slept with a fan running for as long as I can remember. I tried to break that habit this weekend. The first night went great actually, but each night since progressively worse until I had to turn it back on last night because I could not sleep at all.

The fan is a little too loud though, and kind of unnecessary. Do any of you use any kind of white noise to help you sleep? Radio and TV are no good. I need something pretty subtle to help me make it through the night with a good night of sleep.

Any suggestions? Real ones of course. Thanks.
    I too use white noise. I have a white noise table top machine that I purchased from JcPenny years ago. I am a light sleeper and cannot listen to the noise outside.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    This isn't the most practical option for the sole purpose of white noise, but I just run the filter to my fish tank.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have a little desk fan on the floor next to my bed. I was on sleeping pills for years and finally got off them in the summer and found that the fan helps a lot. It doesn't bother my boyfriend at all. Why is it unnecessary? Is it bothering someone? If not, I don't see why you should stop using it.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I need white noise most nights and I use Sound Oasis. I love it because you have a choice of 6 different sounds and you can also buy different sound cards. I have lived alone most of my life and other people's noises drive me batty so when I have company I use the Sound Oasis AND a fan.