About the join the gym....help!

Options
I've finally quit procrastinating and commited myself to going and joining the gym tomorrow.
I'm feeling a bit confused about what kind of plan to set for myself, last time I went to the gym I used to aimlessly do a bit of this and a bit of that and never quite got the results I was after.

I've made a big improvement in my diet this time around and I'm hovering pretty close to my goal weight at the moment but really want to tone up the wobbly bits (my butt and thighs are shocking, blerk). I know I need to do strength training - everytime I see it bought up on this forum everyone seems to be talking about free weights. I'm a little afraid of free weights at this stage, will I get the same effect from using all the machines (various arms, legs, abs etc)?

And how about mixing up cardio and strength? Should I do both at the gym, or just strength at the gym and cardio at home (at the moment I jog 4 - 5kms 3 or 4 days a week), and do the 30 day shred on the alternate days.

Any suggestions or advice about how to set myself up an effective workout schedule very appreciated. Cheers :)

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I started with weights by having one of the trainers at the gym set up a progam for me. It was a standard line up of machines but it got me thinking in that direction. Bit by bit I moved over to free weights, starting with bicep curls and triceps. I read and learned a lot from the forums here and eventually worked out my own program using all free weights. So, IMO, starting with machines is a fine way to start. As for doing cardio, totally up to you. At the gym, at home, not as often, it's all a matter of what you can do and what you want to do. For me, I do 3 days of full body weights followed by about 20 minutes of cardio and then two other days a week I do 45-60 minutes of cardio. If I'm already at the gym, I'm not leaving to do my cardio somewhere else.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you are training toward a performance goal, then the answers would be different from what I'm about to write, which is based on losing body fat while retaining muscle.

In the beginning, when you are just learning, there's nothing wrong with using machines. They will help you get the rough idea of what the exercises are supposed to feel like and remove the worry of dropping the weight on yourself when you are still learning.

It might sound extreme, but if you are there for the first time, you could start at one end of the row of machines and do a set or two on each machine. There will be multiple machines that work a muscle group. Find the machine for each group that you like. They will all help you to get stronger.

Don't be afraid to lift heavier weights that feel kind of hard. Unless you are taking steroids, you won't look like a body builder. If you are doing a classic 3 sets of 10, your muscle should be pretty uncomfortable by the last repetition of each exercise. (there are almost limitless possibilities for numbers of sets and reps and I won't go into that this time)

Once you have the moves down, give dumbbells a shot. They help you build a little more balance, which requires a little more core strength. Yes, they will give you better results (by a couple of %, not by huge leaps and bounds). No, you don't have to do them right away (or exclusively.... you can do some free weights and some machines)

There's no one exercise you can do that will firm up any body part. The real goal is to drop your body fat percentage, which means exposing the muscle that you have underneath.

Some people do cardio only days and lifting only days. Some people mix them up. It depends on what you are doing. If you are planning on doing intervals, I would not lift on the same day. You're going to be tired and won't be able to lift as much. Also, if you plan to do a long workout (like an hour run), I would not lift on the same day. Again, you're going to be tired going into lifting. If you are thinking of doing a 15 to 30 minute run to warm up, then go ahead and do both.

For cardio, I'd recommend that you start looking at your time, not your distance. It's a totally different psychological approach and encourages you to go farther as you get fitter. It's also easier to plan and schedule. Like most people, I'm guessing that you know you have 30 minutes or an hour that you can spend working out.

More than anything, going to the gym and getting in solid exercise on a regular basis is the most important part.
  • Scott_Chaput
    Options
    The biggest thing for me was finding a gym that had regularly scheduled group exercise.

I take a spin class Monday and Wednesday
    Body Training System's Group Power Tuesday and Thursday
    Body Training System's Group Kick on Saturday
    Fast paced and competitive racquetball on Sunday

I burn between 800-1000 calories a workout.

My gym is $93 a month for my wife and I with lockers combined.

This way all you have to do it go to the gym, show up and give it your all... You don't have to stand on a treadmill alone and push yourself to do something. The workout is planned you just have to show up and give it your best... Considering you don't want the instructor to see you half assing it you will try harder.

Group exercise is the way to go IMO.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Get a personal trainer, even if just for a few sessions. Well worth it.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness where I live will help you set one up..
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Ive been through it..the nerves, fear of free weights.

dont be afraid.

SMASH things at the gym
    here are 2 simple programs...easy to understand
    youtube mark rippetoe videos for form.

SQUAT SQUAT SQUAT.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

New Rules of Lifting for Women is also good, but a little more complicated routine wise.

OH...and i prefer to do my cardio on the days i do not lift.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I know I am just touching on one of your concerns here but don't be scared or free weights. Start at a low weight and get the form down properly. You will start getting stronger quickly if you carefully nudge yourself up on weight with free weights. I have also found that free weights engage more of your muscles than just the machines. Respect your limits and don't push too hard right off the bat but I think you should make an effort to use free weights.

Best of luck getting to your goal and being a toned up lady!
  • mawahlst
    Options
    I like to do some type of cardio every day (even if you just walk, do at least 20 minutes, just because your heart thanks you!). Then I usually alternate my upper body and lower body strength training each day, making sure to include a day or two of rest throughout the week.

For upper body try doing 3 moves of pulling and 3 of pushing, 3 sets of 10 each"

For push movements - Try doing assisted tricep dips (ask someone at the gym where the machine is, and you can figure out how much weight assistance works for you), shoulder presses, and push-ups or chest presses.

For pulling movements - Try doing upright rows, assisted pull-ups (this is the same machine as you'll use for tricep dips), and tricep pulls

For lower body try doing dead lifts (also great for your abs), squats, lunges, step-ups, and side lunges (great for that annoying inner-thigh)

The gym isn't as scary as it seems at first - and everyone who works there will be more than happy to help you and show you the different machines! Once you're comfortable and have figured out a routine, you'll really enjoy your workouts! It also might not be a terrible idea to hire a trainer for a couple sessions just to get a feel for a variety of movements and workouts. Good luck!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Congrats! you are going to love it. a lot of gyms will give you a complimentary fitness assessment, and hopefully you get one with a good trainer. tell him or her your goals. if you don't have any solid goals yet, make some. "being fit" is an okay goal, but some specific things like "i want to do pull ups" or "i want to dead lift 1.5 times my body weight" are better.

yes, you should be using as much free weights as possible. dead lifts, squats, and chest press are your friends. don't be afraid of them. every woman that i've met through here that has picked up a barbell has not regretted it at all.

here are some links that helped me out in the beginning.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/08/09/infiltrating-the-empire-how-to-workout-properly-in-a-commercial-gym/
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    it depends on your goal me I did not have any personal trainer do my diet or training I watched videos on youtube and tried with lighter weights it was a learning curve with mistakes on the way im still learning. I think its best to try and make mistakes so i can improve.
    Go online do research it will pay you of in big ways.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've finally quit procrastinating and commited myself to going and joining the gym tomorrow.
    I'm feeling a bit confused about what kind of plan to set for myself, last time I went to the gym I used to aimlessly do a bit of this and a bit of that and never quite got the results I was after.

I've made a big improvement in my diet this time around and I'm hovering pretty close to my goal weight at the moment but really want to tone up the wobbly bits (my butt and thighs are shocking, blerk). I know I need to do strength training - everytime I see it bought up on this forum everyone seems to be talking about free weights. I'm a little afraid of free weights at this stage, will I get the same effect from using all the machines (various arms, legs, abs etc)?

And how about mixing up cardio and strength? Should I do both at the gym, or just strength at the gym and cardio at home (at the moment I jog 4 - 5kms 3 or 4 days a week), and do the 30 day shred on the alternate days.

Any suggestions or advice about how to set myself up an effective workout schedule very appreciated. Cheers :)

Good morning! I've been feeling the same way and just went to a new gym this morning. What has been really helpful for me is planning a workout before you get started so you know what is expected. I've been doing these at home as I was self-conscious. Pinterest has some great workout from bloggers about circuit and weight training. I've been following toneitup.com; there are free workouts and a great community of supportive women.

Good luck!
    Kat