seems ive hit a wall..

Is it normal to either gain weight or just be harder to lose in the winter? Obviously I'm not sweating as much with the cold weather, and maybe water retention is a cause. I'm still meeting my calorie goals without fail but haven't dropped any weight in a while. I haven't been cycling as much because it dark too early, but have added more running and weights to the mix trying to shake things up a bit. I'm just wondering if this is normal for this time of year? Or if it's just time to up the intensity again.
I keep looking at the overall picture and realize I've lost 50 lbs in the last 9 months or so but the bulk of that (no pun intended) came off pretty early. What can I do to stimulate fat loss? My new goal weight is 190, I am currently at hovering around 208.....
Maybe it's just a lesson in patience!
James

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Is it normal to either gain weight or just be harder to lose in the winter? Obviously I'm not sweating as much with the cold weather, and maybe water retention is a cause. I'm still meeting my calorie goals without fail but haven't dropped any weight in a while. I haven't been cycling as much because it dark too early, but have added more running and weights to the mix trying to shake things up a bit. I'm just wondering if this is normal for this time of year? Or if it's just time to up the intensity again.
    I keep looking at the overall picture and realize I've lost 50 lbs in the last 9 months or so but the bulk of that (no pun intended) came off pretty early. What can I do to stimulate fat loss? My new goal weight is 190, I am currently at hovering around 208.....
    James

It's quite possible that one or both of the following are occurring:

1) You have lost weight and therefore have a reduced total expenditure and need to reduce intake.
    2) With weather getting crappier, your non exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) has reduced. You are simply expending less non-exercise energy.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    I took a full diet break and lost four pounds in 3 weeks. It definitely seemed to "nudge" my body out of it's complacency:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I know it's frustrating... but just stay the course. Your body is doing things right now. Metamorphosing, if you will. Give it a chance to do what it has to do. It is also possible that you worrying about the scale is causing an additional release of cortisol so just stop worrying about it and focus on your program. The weight will come off once your body has worked everything out.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I took a full diet break and lost four pounds in 3 weeks. It definitely seemed to "nudge" my body out of it's complacency:

This is where my thought went too. When was the last time you took a break/ reset?
  • jeep4james
    jeep4james Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks,
    I think the hard part is ive seen pretty steady results for a while now and the lack of it now is somewhat demoralizing. I realize it's there, I just need to stay motivated. Mentally convincing myself that fitness/health is the priority not the scale. In that case I feel pretty good, but if there is something I can change to keep it going I'd try it.
    james
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    James

1) You have lost weight and therefore have a reduced total expenditure and need to reduce intake.
    2) With weather getting crappier, your non exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) has reduced. You are simply expending less non-exercise energy.

I would also like to add, that it's quite possible at this moment that the deficit is too large which could cause hormones to "go out of whack" causing a prevention in weight loss. The link danasings recommended would be great as it can help regulate the hormones.

Additionally, when coming off of a diet break, set a smaller per week loss (if it was set at 1.5 lb per week, drop it to 1 lb). It's quite possible you are not getting enough calories. By your diary, you are pretty consistent around 2000-2200 calories and if you are active, you might need another 200-400 calories. I am 30 yr old, 194, desk job and workout 6 days a week for an hour and I cut at 2600-2800 calories daily. So if you want to post your workout routine, we can run your numbers.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Me and my scales have had a disagreement. Im not even looking at them for a fortnight. Im going by measurements instead because the scales are just bloody spiteful atm.
  • jeep4james

This is where my thought went too. When was the last time you took a break/ reset?
    I haven't really taken off, but I don't usually work out on Sundays. As far as excersize goes I really just try to stay moving, eliptical in the morning for about 20-25 minutes, and either cycling (10 - 12 miles) or running (2 miles) in the afternoon (one or the other at least 3 times a week). If I'm free on the weekends I will take the road bike out and do between 30-60 miles depending on time available.
    If I'm not home or something I will generally try to go for a walk after dinner.
    I'm not much of a "grey area" person and honestly seems that after taking a break or not doing something for a week I find myself thinking about it years later saying, "I need to get back to working out"
    I think I just fear going backwards.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    please be careful walls are hard and you could get really hurt

as best I can I try not to hit walls
  • jeep4james
    James

I would also like to add, that it's quite possible at this moment that the deficit is too large which could cause hormones to "go out of whack" causing a prevention in weight loss. The link danasings recommended would be great as it can help regulate the hormones.

Additionally, when coming off of a diet break, set a smaller per week loss (if it was set at 1.5 lb per week, drop it to 1 lb). It's quite possible you are not getting enough calories. By your diary, you are pretty consistent around 2000-2200 calories and if you are active, you might need another 200-400 calories. I am 30 yr old, 194, desk job and workout 6 days a week for an hour and I cut at 2600-2800 calories daily. So if you want to post your workout routine, we can run your numbers.

As far as excersize goes I really just try to stay moving, eliptical in the morning for about 20-25 minutes, and either cycling (10 - 12 miles) or running (2 miles) in the afternoon (one or the other at least 3 times a week). If I'm free on the weekends I will take the road bike out and do between 30-60 miles depending on time available.
    I just recently started hitting the gym, like I'm 3 workouts into it. But I'm really just getting started trying to develop the habit of going and doing it. I try to get in a few hundred miles a month combined cycling running and hiking. Last month was about 180, month before was 230 miles, with the weather it's getting harder to get them in.
    james
  • jeep4james

Reading the article, thanks for the link.
    james
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I just recently started hitting the gym, like I'm 3 workouts into it.
    james

How long has your weight been stalled?
  • jeep4james
    I just recently started hitting the gym, like I'm 3 workouts into it.
    james

How long has your weight been stalled?

I havn't lost anything for about a month and a half. This seems to be normal for a few weeks maybe a month. I'll stall at a weight then drop 2-3 pounds at once. I've never gone up though? and although its not much when your expecting a drop and you see a couple of pounds more it makes you wonder. Heck, it's all pretty much new to me and I don't have a trainer or coach, so I was starting to think I might be just putting on some "winter" weight. not that I plan on hibernating.. lol
    james
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    You are putting some substantial miles on while riding a bike. I have feeling you will need to up your intake. And since you are consistent, why don't you set your account to moderately active and 1 lb per week. Should put you around 2500 calories daily. Also, adjust your macro's to around 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. Hopefully the increase in calories will fuel your body a bit more.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    I am a real believer in weight training. I saw that you do not lift in your routine.

When you lift weights you build a little muscle, it makes you look better firmer and toned but it also burns just a few more calories than fat to maintain so you get a continous slight increase in your TDEE.

People here sometime think this is a big difference in calories but it is not - the vast majority of the calories we burn on a daily basis actually are used to maintain basic body functions like liver, brain, kidneys, heart etc

I would also re-check all you goal numbers got to http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/ and re cal your numbers you may have lost enought that you couls re-set your goals manually the MFP numebrs are very generic.