AGH! Ruining my day be eating at night - HELP!!!

Options
Good grief! My daytime eating, water intake & workout are GREAT however, I continue to eat whatever I want at night because I am HUNGRY (especially after my workout). My downtime is at night to watch my DVR'd shows...real housewives of, walking dead, duck dynasty, etc. I need to get out of the habit of snacking at night & ruining my daily calorie intake. I choose 100 cal snacks but I eat too much of them. Suggestions??? *I do NOT want to give up my TV time!

Replies

• dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, as once I put the kids to bed, I want to have my treat while watching "my shows". My solution is just to eat a pretty small lunch to allow for the calories at night. I've tried giving them up. All that does is make me not sleep well and feel very anxious when going to bed. That's my solution.
  • shell22holmes
    Options
    Maybe your thirsty? Try having water before eating......that helps me. I usually end up being more thirsty at the end of the day. I also forgo those 100 calorie packs of anything. I have cereal or oatmeal as a snack, depending on my food consumption for the day. Except yesterday when I has a pudding snack cup (which was so gross ill never do that again).
    And I love your pvr shows......big fan of The Walking Dead (love Darryl). :happy:
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's chilly where I am at. If it is where you live, sip on a cup of hot tea or even just hot water with lemon (yes, I know the "just water" sounds weird!). Keeps my hands and my mouth busy and hydrates at the same time!!

There is always air popped popcorn in a pinch!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Do you pre-plan your meals?
    I would see where I can shave of calories through the day and use them in the evening.
    Maybe make your snacks through the day smaller?

At night, I would suggest a hot snack, one with protein is even better.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem, but I would suggest that you try to drink hot tea instead. It is a habit (munching in front of TV at night), and you just have to try to break it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    It's a habit. I used to do the same thing. Now I'll snack on some cottage cheese. I make sure to save that 100 calories for the TV snack. I also had to limit my night time TV to no more than two hours.

TV is inherently a mindless pasttime. I think we get bored, or wound up by the show, and that emotion gets tied to needing to cope by using food. But it is a habit. You could also stand up and do jumping jacks or do planks or pushups. That is a redirection of the habit onto something postiive. Or knitting....you get the idea.
  • mom2chrisandnadia
    mom2chrisandnadia Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is a habit that you just need to find a way to break. My eating during the evening is usually pretty bad too, I think my only saving grace is that with an 8 month old at home, I go to sleep not too long after she does. That really limits my ability to do too much snacking. You just have to do something else during that time. Maybe you could munch on something with a bit more nutritional value (veggies, fruit). I also like the tea idea. I can now drink plain green tea, especially if there is lots of lemon too.
  • wjleffi
    wjleffi Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My husband really loves to snack at night, too. Saving some calories for a light popcorn or a fruit dessert might help. What really helped him was having a large supper, really bulked up with vegetables and sipping on hot tea at night. It really replaced the evening sweets for him. Otherwise he just kept going back for more. My problem time can be in the afternoon so I have had some success with eating a snack just before my normal lunch would be, then having my lunch later so I am full for my "danger" time. Good luck!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I pre-log my food for the day, including some snacks AFTER dinner bc I know i'll eat anyways...with or without calories left. So I plan for them. I don't usually eat the 100 calorie snacks (unless its something I really like or popcorn) bc I find I just keep eating more of them.

I workout after dinner with my hubby which has put a big dent in my eating (since I'm busy you cant eat)... But I eat something I want...usually special K cereal. and then I drink a couple glasses of water... or eat a pickle and then put myself to bed!

Maybe do something while watching T.V. like fold laundry to keep u from snacking as much?
  • talaysia3
    talaysia3 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I really like to snack at night while watching my shows as well. I'm a big ice cream eater though. So I make my own now with frozen bananas. I may add some fruit to it or some nuts and top with some whipped cream...cures my sweet tooth. If I want something kind of crunchy then I'll air pop some popcorn..
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    For awhile, I tried to switch over to more appropriate snacking, like carrot sticks or air popped popcorn. Before too long, I was putting butter on the popcorn and using dip with the carrot sticks.

Ultimately I decided that the only remedy was to break the snacking habit. Now I have 4 meals per day and 1 bedtime snack. I'm feeling a lot better about myself.

Husband will bring a bowl of snacks with him sometimes when we're watching Netflix, and if I can't stop myself from reaching into the bowl, I go do something else (maintenance on the aquarium, hot bath, anything I can think of). I just don't want to be that kind of person anymore - always munching, standing near the buffet at parties, etc.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I love to snack at night after my workouts too - but I always pre-log everything. I log all my exercise and food before I do it and force myself to not stray from it. Plan your snacks. Take them out of the cupboard in the pre-planned portions that fit into your calorie goal for the day and don't let yourself get up for seconds.
  • nicosland
    nicosland Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I try to save some calories for my night time snacking as I do like to have something at night. However, if I start to get hungry early on in the night I have a glass of Blue Diamond Chocolate Almond Milk (the light one at 45 calories a glass) and I find that curbs some of my cravings until I do have my snack later on.
  • madworld1
    Options
    Great topic. I want to come back and read this later--- I suffer from the same issue.
  • Nukkers
    Nukkers Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! It's usually after I take my sleeping medication. I seem to lose all resolve after that. I'm going to try eating smaller lunches so I can have cereal or something at night.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It would be good to open your diary, but I believe maybe making dinner or lunch your biggest meals would help or maybe intermittent fasting. I used to have problems with eating after work, but intermittent fasting has solved all that.
  • Michshellars
    Options
    Same here! I usually have this problem after I take my sleeping pill too. I've been trying to drink more water, and if I am really still hungry, I will try and eat something healthy. Good luck, I struggle a lot with this too!
  • AliceMpls
    Options
    I try to do my nails or something if I watch TV. Also brushing your teeth earlier than usual could help. I also go to bed pretty early and I now feel more comfortable with a less full stomach when I fall asleep. And it probably changes from person to person, but if I have a strenuous workout it makes me less hungry.
  • desiree7hanson
    desiree7hanson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am a huge night snacker while watching my TV as well. My nutritionist is always saying "eat without distraction" meaning don't eat your snacks while watching TV. Well... I still like to have my snack, so I choose 3-5 cups 1/2 salt Colby Ridge Popcorn. Since it isn't that bad for you, you can have a lot, and the volume was a big deal to me. I also allow myself some candy like a fun size reeses peanut butter cup or 2 pieces of salt water taffy. This has worked for me. I just know that once I finish, I'm done and can't eat any more, even if I still have TV to watch. I know some people can't eat the same snack every day, but until I reach my goal, this is it. Hope this helps!
  • evolutioner
    Options
    Try eating a salad with a bunch of greens and veggies as healthier alternative, and some water with it that can also do the trick.