Anyone annoyed with ppl asking you to eat out?

Options
I wasn't totally sure where it put this, this seemed like the best fit.

Everyone I work with and most of my family knows that I'm losing weight, eating right, working out 6 days a week. Not because I go around gloating about it but because they clearly see that I bring my lunch in every day at work, I don't go out to eat, I change at work into my gym clothes, etc.

EVERY day it seems like someone at work is asking me to go get lunch somewhere, somewhere entirely unhealthy or after lunch, "Hey, wanna go get ice cream?" No! I don't! Quit asking me, I'm not going to change my mind!

Maybe I'm just being *****y (that time of the month) but if you know someone is trying to lose weight and eat right, why would you go up to them and tempt them with Burger King, McDonalds, beer, ice cream, etc? It just seems rude.

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Were you going with these same people before you started to diet and workout? Food is such a big part of what we do with our friends and it takes time to make new routines and I am sure they will get the hint. You could always suggest somthing a little healthier. I haven't cut going out to eat but I do make my gym time come first before friends. I believe everything in moderation so for the most part my friendships are doing okay with this change. I really don't do mcdonalds or bk anymore guess not everything in moderation. I don't really drink except for once in a great while so that's not an issue.
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Meh. It doesn't annoy me. I just politely decline and go about my business. It's not anyone elses responsibility to make sure that I make good food choices, so why blame them for asking? If you say no enough times, they will get the hint and stop.

Just as a side note... I'm not sure how far you are into your journey, but you should know that there will probably be times when you WILL have to eat out. It's pretty much inevitable. It took me a while to realize that eating out is not the enemy nor is it going to undo all progress. You just have to manipulate menus and make good, sensible choices. It CAN be done!

Good luck to you! :)
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I mean, before I started dieting and working out, sure occasionally I would grab something to eat for lunch with them but for the most part I've always tried to bring my lunch in because it saves me so much $$.

I'm totally not a sweets girl either, I don't crave sweets so for people who work with me for the last 7 years to go get ice cream, it's like, "are you just doing this because you know I'm trying to eat better? you know I don't even really like going out and eating that kind of stuff.."

IDK. It just seems rude to tempt someone with something that they are trying so hard to stay away from. Sure, I'd love to go out and eat a cheeseburger and french fries every day but unfortunately for me, my body doesn't stay thin when I do that, lol.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I do eat out, I eat out almost every Friday, as my cheat day. I allow myself to eat a little bit more than I normally do and eat stuff that isn't as good for me as the stuff I eat the rest of the week. I just don't want to eat out at lunch, it's expensive, I work in a downtown atmosphere, grabbing a bite to eat downtown for lunch where I work is a $10 a day meal.

I have no issue with eating out, I can make proper choices when I do but when you know I bring my own lunch in every day or you know I don't ever really eat ice cream, why ask me?
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get irritated, but I really don't think people do it to be intentionally ugly. I think that eating out is just such a way of life for people now, that they don't think about how this affects you and the better choices you are trying to make. Most people eat out every day, or close to it, and don't even realize how unhealthy most of what they are eating is.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I do get what you're saying but I don't consider it rude. It's life. It's ingrained in most of us to associate social gatherings with food. Doesn't mean you have to go, or you could go and get tea or water. More than likely they just want your company, they don't care if you eat or not. Don't expect them to change their lives because you did.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    eh, people wanting to include you and that is upsetting you?

Granted, no one should eat fast food everyday but eating out with people is a part of life - and good part I might add. You can fit in McD's or Burger King into your daily caloric allotment, ya just can.
    McD= 1 cheeseburger and 1 small fry is 550 calories (i think). This is doable
    Burger King = 1 whopper jr and apple fries is less than 500 calories
    Chik-fil-a sandwich w fruit cup is a little over 500 calories

More than likely it is a chain ice cream place to which you are invited. They prob offer yogurt or other low call offerings. Check their website and see.

If you've brought your lunch just say, thanks but I've brought my lunch.

For professional development you should plan to eat out w coworkers once a week or so and just factor it in.
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do get what you're saying but I don't consider it rude. It's life. It's ingrained in most of us to associate social gatherings with food. Doesn't mean you have to go, or you could go and get tea or water. More than likely they just want your company, they don't care if you eat or not. Don't expect them to change their lives because you did.

This.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me to get asked but it does bother me when I decline and they get upset with me, feelings hurt, etc.

I think if you are in a social group that revolves around food you are going to experience this and people will resist the change in expected behavior from you, especially if you're the listening ear in the group and everyone wants to meet for coffee, lunch or drinks to talk.

Keep offering other alternatives and see what happens. I had offered to meet the gals to go hiking, rollerskating, bowling and not much luck as they still want to just eat. But, I've finally gotten one person to start meeting me at the track to walk during lunch instead of going out.
  • gmad87
    gmad87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wasn't totally sure where it put this, this seemed like the best fit.

Everyone I work with and most of my family knows that I'm losing weight, eating right, working out 6 days a week. Not because I go around gloating about it but because they clearly see that I bring my lunch in every day at work, I don't go out to eat, I change at work into my gym clothes, etc.

EVERY day it seems like someone at work is asking me to go get lunch somewhere, somewhere entirely unhealthy or after lunch, "Hey, wanna go get ice cream?" No! I don't! Quit asking me, I'm not going to change my mind!

Maybe I'm just being *****y (that time of the month) but if you know someone is trying to lose weight and eat right, why would you go up to them and tempt them with Burger King, McDonalds, beer, ice cream, etc? It just seems rude.

It's not that they're being rude or deliberately trying to sabotage you. It's because they think about eating out differently than you or I. They're not thinking about how to account the restaurant food on in their daily calorie account, and probably honestly don't fully understand how "bad" that burger is for them like we do. But we do think about these things and that just another part of the burden of losing weight or trying to become healthier. I'll admit I sometimes resent the fact that 99% of my social outings with friends revolve around food in some way, but I make due by figuring out the "potential damage" ahead of time and try to make smart food choices when I do eat out with them.
  • Adamanda5
    Adamanda5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Could be innocent; it could be that they don't understand how bad cheeseburgers and ice cream are for them/you. But it is also absolutely possible that they are (consciously or subconsciously) trying to sabotage your efforts. If you eat junk with them, then it is acceptable for them to continue with their unhealthy lifestyles. If you are eating differently, you bring light to the dissonance between what they are doing and what they believe they should be doing. That means they either have to change how they eat or change how they think. Of course, if you happen to eat junk with them, that's not something they have to acknowledge. :) I'm not saying it's DELIBERATE, but it is possible. If you tell them it bothers you that they are food-pushing, maybe they will realize they are hindering your progress and be more supportive.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Maybe they just want to spend time with you :)

Why not offer up a place that has healthier options? Or find something there that's reasonable for you! It can't be fun saying no all the time.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend asks me to eat out every night.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I love -going out to eat-. Eating out, not my thing. >.>
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    People ask me about ordering lunch too. I think they're being polite by including me; it's not to rub it in my face about watching what I eat. I think I might actually feel bad if they left me out. Once in a while I say yes, and find a healthy choice so I can be part of the group. Food will always be there, and like it or not, it's a major part of our culture. Find a way to make it part of your healthy lifestyle.
  • allisonistrying
    Options
    Maybe they are worried that if they don't make the offer, they'll come off as rude...
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Your probably just having a good day.

People like to eat, and they want to spend time with you. I agree you should suggest healthier options as far as dining establishments.
  • axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend asks me to eat out every night.

Hey-oooo!
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    They just want the pleasure of your company, they're not trying to sabotage you.

You can still make healthy food choices, but if you want to save money by bringing your lunch, simply explain that to them, but don't make them feel bad because they asked you.
  • SofaKingRad_
    Options
    With the exception of one week out every month, I generally don't mind when my wife asks me to.