couch to 5k--anyone starting now or success stories??

Options

Replies

• SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Starting week nine tomorrow. I love it.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My running buddy and I got as far as week 7 (I think) and then had a 5K. We started with similar abilities, and went from not being able to run at all to being able to run 20 minutes straight, without stopping. We also went from a 16 minute mile to something a little more respectable.

This past weekend, we managed to do a 5K in just over 43 minutes, in 48 degree weather, one with a tummy ache and the other with cramps and traces of a respiratory infection (TMI, but I KNOW we would've done better if we were both 100%), and the course was up and down hills. Not too shabby for two girls who weren't really "runners" and who trained mostly in the warmer evenings, on flat surfaces. :)

I drink the C25K Kool-Aid and would do it again in a heartbeat. :)
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
  • the_new_robin2016
    the_new_robin2016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have never been a distance runner, or could ever run outside. I heard about this and decided to do it. I could barely run a min back on Aug 27. By Oct 15th i could run 5 k (on the treadmill) in 31 min. I did the program in only 7 weeks because i was supposed to do a 5 k run on sept 30, so i ran 6 days a week instead of the 3. But i wasn't able to enter the run due to some family issues, so i eased up and did the last 3 weeks the way it was supposed to be done. Anyways, great program! And i HATE running haha, but i always wanted to be able to run a 5 k and i can now say i can! don't be discouraged by the longer runs, just pace yourself at your own pace and Don't Stop! It's not sprinting!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I started it in March of this year, and since then I have run several 5ks, two 10ks, two triathlons and yesterday I signed up for my first half marathon! I would NOT have gotten started without it and definitely would not have kept going, so I'd like to think I'm a success. Keep at it, the program sure knows what it's talking about!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Run slow... this is the BIGGEST RULE of C25K.

If you cant complete a run segment because you are too tired or out of breath, slow down

Just to give you an idea of how slow I was running.... most people could walk faster than I was "running" but that was what I could manage.

I started at 260lbs and just as I was about to start week 9, I ended up having to have surgery but by that time I had lost over 30lbs and I attribute that to C25K and MFP combined.

I have not seen significant loss since that last week of C25K so its time to get started on it again.

Trust the program, it works. Literally thousands of people can testify to that fact. If you don't think you can do it, just try. Repeat weeks if you really dont feel like you are ready to move on. Lots of people have repeated weeks, no shame in that at all.
  • matchpoint312
    matchpoint312 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    that's awesome! I love your user name...wombats rock. :-)
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am not the world's best runner but I know I can, my knees hurt and I do not pace myself very well. Anyone been successful on this program? Anyone starting now???

I had the pacing problem, but I think it teaches you how to pace without realizing it.
  • winniebago
    winniebago Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I haven't followed a programme but a few weeks in to doing brisk walks and then seeing if I could run 100 yards without dying, i heard of someone else doing a couch-5K programme and realised this is what I had been doing instinctively.

The prog I heard of was Couch to 5K in 8 weeks, or something like that. Well, I've taken quite a bit longer than that - more like 3 -4 months but at 54 years old I ran about 3.3 miles the other night (In 38 minutes) which I find is about 5.4K. Still smiling to self 'cos i could probably have gone further. My knees did hurt a bit when i first started out in the summer and I assumed it was arthritis but that seems to have passed off now.

Reading this thread inspires me to try and stretch a bit further, although I don't have much spare time to run for more than 30-45 mins and get bored anyway (can't keep earphones in my ears).

Keep up the good work.
  • brittanyholocker
    brittanyholocker Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rhonswan
    Options
    I started running a year ago with this program. I timed it to finish with my first 5k last December and have been hooked on running ever since. I have ran numerous 5k's and 10k's, 2 half marathons and 1 relay team on a full marathon. I am now training for my 3rd half marathon and planning on completing my first full marathon in 2013.

This is a great plan to get started. Good Luck!
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just started week 1 day 2. I have really tight calves and Im feeling it today. Then again I probably shouldnt have done 2 days back to back without a rest day in between.

Feel free to friend me if you want some support!!
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm also giving this thing a try because as much as I enjoy walking, I really want to be able to run, but safely. I've completed week 1 already, but I've stalled going into week 2 because of personal issues (no, nothing health-related, but having to help family and work-related). I'm going to be on it today, tomorrow, and Saturday. Just need the temperature to warm up a little bit.

I do like this C25K program because it's a good way of slowly learning the correct jogging methods without getting injured. I really want to be able to run 30 minutes by the time the new year rolls around. :wink:
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just finished it last month. When I started, I could barely run to my mailbox without getting winded and I got a stitch in my side for the first few weeks of the program, but I stuck with it. Now I run every other day (yep - even in darkness and 30 degree weather now that it's turning into winter). I have three events I'm registered for in the next four weeks and have completed four 5k runs, a 3 mile obstacle course run, and my first half marathon.

The biggest thing for me was that I found out I enjoyed it. I was happier and felt better after my runs even though I didn't necessarily feel like starting the run that day, I always felt better after I finished it. I'm not a fast runner by any means, but I am absolutely proud of the fact I can run at my pace and keep it up for miles and miles.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    When I first started I could barely finish the 90 seconds of running. I graduated about 3 weeks ago or so and I've run for an hour straight twice since then. My runs now are between 30-60 minutes and I run 5 days a week. The program really changed my life. I couldn't live without running now. It also doesn't hurt that my legs are now rippling with solid muscle. Pretty awesome lol.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    I have ALWAYS hated running. I didn't play basketball in high school because of the running aspect...lol. This past spring I started the C25K plan. It took some time but I started to LOVE it. Don't get me wrong it wasn't overnight. I struggled to stick with it and it wasn't easy. I ran my first 5k in June then a HALF MARATHON is October. Now I have to run. I don't run every day now because I'm not training. I run usually a mile+ on the treadmill and lift 3x through the week then on Sat and Sun I run outside, long runs. This Saturday I am running 8miles and I can hardly wait:) Sunday I will probably only do around 4:) Yes now I say only 4...lol At the beginning of this year 4miles may have well been a marathon. I love it! Feel free to add me for support and any questions you may have on your journey. Oh...and I've lost 31lbs. I still have about 15-20 to go but I'm doing it. Running has changed my life!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just started week 1 day 2. I have really tight calves and Im feeling it today. Then again I probably shouldnt have done 2 days back to back without a rest day in between.

Feel free to friend me if you want some support!!

Definitely DON'T overdo it. You're training and strengthening your leg muscles by easing into it with short intervals and if you do too much too soon you can tear something. When I first got into weeks 4-6 I thought I could start doing back to back days, but got that painful tight sensation in my legs. Luckily my stepdad is a marathoner and he told me to stay off my feet for a day then ease back in with an easy day so I didn't hurt anything. You are essentially putting your entire body weght on one leg when you fun and the impact of the landing is more than 2x your body weight on that leg, so it's not going to gain strength quickly - it is a slow process and I still have to take a rest day after two days back to back. Try switching it up with a training run day, than a light walk/slow jog on day 2 with rest on day 3 and alternate your workout that way.
  • metram
    Options
    Glad to see so many positive posts abot C25K...I plan on starting C210K in January after ankle injury is healed.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    I am not the world's best runner but I know I can, my knees hurt and I do not pace myself very well. Anyone been successful on this program? Anyone starting now???

yes i did it last year, finished my first 5k race in 5 years last October

it works great, but i had to redo several weeks because I wasn't ready for the next week sometimes if I couldn't run the times i should have been running and every time I skipped a day it put me back.

I'd recommend it to anyone, after years of trying to find something that help me get me past 1 mile the couch to 5k app worked wonders.

i'm still running, ran a 5k race last weekend and have another one this weekend
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it. I just did my day 2 of week 1 yesterday. Feel free to add!