Staying on target for Thanksgiving

Options
Hi all, I am looking for great ideas to stay within my calorie goals for Thanksgiving, I am currently consuming 1200 cal /day 50%carb 35% protein 15% fat. ANY cooking tips would also be great... :)

thanks!

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Okay....well personally Ithink if you're trying to lose almost 150 pounds total then 1200 a day is not really enough....but that's another topic.

For Thanksgiving my plan is to burn more calories daily by doing extra little things like: take a walk before/ after dinner with the family, play with the kids more. not even worry about parking a mile away while shopping, always taking the stairs. Then I plan to work out more I usually do 3-4 dyas week for those couple weeks around thanksgiving I want to do at least 4 and hopefully 5-6. Finally calorie cycleing I know what days will be high so I'll plan for that and make a couple other days on the low side so that my goal for the week stays in check. As long as I don't gain I'll be happy. But that's just me.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/238096.php

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/11-healthy-thanksgiving-side-dishes/

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1408

Or you can search HEalthy Thanksgiving Dishes and should yield results that way too. I intend to let Turkey day be my free day. I ahve really been very strict these past couple since Halloween so I CAN allow myself to just enjoy the holiday. Will I just let completely go? No, I will keep portions smaller and will enjoy every dish in small quantities versus the gargantuan ones I used to enjoy. BUT Thanksgiving and Christmas are times for feasting and enjoying with family and friends. I will be very careful for breakfast and IF I should need to eat after the feast (I work the midnight shift at my part time job so I may need to eat before I go in to work..) but I intend to fully enjoy our feast.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    just dont lol one day wont kill you and we live once. enjoy the day, and then get back at it right after :D
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    One day is not going to hurt you and I think obsessing about it will only lead to a binge later.. however, trying to portion control is not a bad thing...

but turkey is pretty healthy
    sweet potatoes instead of mashed potatoes
    lots of veggies
  • ladytxn
    ladytxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the local Turkey Trot to help with the calorie burn. Thankfully (hehe) we're not having it at my house this year so I won't have all the extra dishes to make (sample....) AND I won't have all the leftovers in my fridge.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm going to enjoy myself that is my plan. I know that I won't over do it but if I do, then I'm not going to stress over it. This is one day and ok..maybe the day after with some of the leftovers...hahahahaha. However, it won't be a week long feast of over eating. I'm going to still track, drink more water then usual that day and make sure that I eat breakfast. The main part for me is not stressing over if I go over my calories. I will not feel bad...none the least...!!!
  • Fit2Skinnyme33
    Fit2Skinnyme33 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Still exercise each day. I plan on it :) even if the gym is closed. I have insanity video's I can do.

You know what is good and what is bad so stick to your guns.

Turkey is a great protein so don't worry about that.
    Cranberry sauce - too much sugar, pass.
    Make Cauliflower mash instead of mash potatoes... No one will know. Trust me!
    Sweet potatoes are better!
    Have sauteed veggies around or veggie's for pre snacking.
    Stuffing, have a little :) if you make it with vegetable stock, and watch the "fats" you put in it, its a nice carb :)

AS far as deserts, you SOL. UNLESS you make a change to your menu. Instead of apple pie, make an apple crumble OR baked Apples with a little brown sugar (watch how much you use) or for Pumpkin Pie, make a Pumpkin Parfe, layering pumpkin moose (homemade) with FF whip Cream, then sprinkle ginger snaps in between only using about 1-2 cookies per parfe. SUPER light, not too guilty.

All in all, Don't over eat and you should be just fine enjoy the one time of year!!! So you don't binge later :)

I agree if you are working out and wanting to lose weight, 1200 is NOT enough and 50% carbs... way high. I work out 5 days a week and am at (per my personal trainer) 1750cals, 197g crabs (I think 35%) 49g fat (15%) and 131g protein (20%).
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I plan on enjoying the Holiday, but not necessarily over-eating. I'm having surgery after Thanksgiving and will be banned from running, biking, aerobics, and weight-lifting for 6 weeks. I will be able to swim two weeks after, and my Dr. told me to count on afew pounds (maybe up to 5). I'm really just thinking, moderation but still enjoying. I think this is the first Thanksgiving in many years I haven't had the stress..weird considering I won't be able to do much. I just have found a happy place in my new eating I guess. Maybe I should post in January and let you all know if it worked out as I think it will. LOL
  • michmill98
    Options
    Mix things up a little! There isn't any reason why you have to have ALL the heavy, creamy dishes when there are alternatives available:

Green Bean Casserole becomes steamed green beans with sauteed onions and a little bacon

Sweet Potato Casserole/Mash becomes baked sweet potatoes with a pat of cinnamon butter

Cranberry Sauce - skip the can and try your hand at making a recipe from scratch. Yes, a lot of them may have a lot of sugar but that is to counteract the tartness of the cranberry.

Stuffing - I love stuffing (my hubby hates it) so this is the only time of year that I get it. I'll skip the roll (see below) in order to have seconds on stuffing!

Bread/rolls - do you really need it or are you just eating it because it's there?

Pie - I'm not a pie fan, so if it is just the hubby and his parents, I'll make wine poached pears instead. Add a small dallop of real whipped cream (not that crappy cool whip or aresol stuff). My MIL is pre-diabetic (plus it runs in her family) so she'd rather have fruit instead of a super sugary pie anyway.

Gravy does not have to be poured over the entire plate!

Only eat until you start to feel full. No need to stuff yourself. If your family is anything like mine and my husband's, there will be plenty of snacks/food around.

Activity - spend more time moving around than on the couch. Plan walks before/after. Are there going to be kids there? Bring out a football or basketball. Volunteer to help set the table, do dishes, etc to keep your hands busy.
  • charver35
    charver35 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks all,

As for the calorie levels - I am working with a personal trainer and a doctor- I'm in the middle of a biggest loser competition that will conclude on December 04, 2012... I am following thier guidlines... and am being monitored,

Thanks for the ideas.... I'll check out the links.