People that have run a MARATHON

Options
I'm hoping there are some of you out there that can give me some insight as to how you decided you were ready to train for a marathon.

Over the latter half of this year, I've done two half marathons and I have another on Sunday. I felt pretty good during my first 1/2, felt like crap during my second 1/2 (it was a lot hotter that day and the heat got to me), I've been feeling really good lately and am feeling pretty good about Sunday's race. My husband (who is not a runner), thinks I should attempt a marathon.

I'm considering signing up for one in June '13 (I'm already committed to another 1/2 in April). This seems like ample time to prepare, if I start now. How did you know you were ready? What were your personal driving factors that ultimately led to you successfully completing a marathon?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm considering signing up for one in June '13 (I'm already committed to another 1/2 in April). This seems like ample time to prepare, if I start now.
    Yes, it should be enough time. Most marathon training programs are 12 to 16 weeks. You'll need to start increasing your mileage now to give yourself a head start.
    How did you know you were ready?
    This is like knowing when you are ready to have kids. You just never know for sure, so you have to take a leap of faith. From a running perspective, I always say that you should be running 20 to 25 miles per week consistently for 9 to 18 months before starting marathon training. I waited until I was in my 6th year of running before I decided to do a marathon.
    What were your personal driving factors that ultimately led to you successfully completing a marathon?
    I didn't go into the marathon with the mindset that completing it was the only barometer of success. I approached it as a race with the goal to run it as fast as I was capable. I trained for it with the same tenacity that I did any other distance. I didn't allow the aura of the distance become a factor. It was just another foot race, albeit a much longer one than I had ever raced.

Bottom line is, if you put in the time, get to the line healthy and find a training and race day plan and execute them, you have a great chance for success. If you don't do these things and don't respect the distance for what it is, there is a great chance that your experience will be less than pleasant.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thank you CarsonRuns! I appreciate your insight. I would absolutely follow a training plan to prepare myself. I also have a huge amount of respect for the distance - I've lived my whole life believing that I could NEVER run a marathon and now that I've done two halfs and have two more on the horizon, I'm feeling like the ellusive marathon might actually be in my reach if I make the decision to train for it. So far, I've actually surprised myself with what my body can do it I only ask it to.
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    I'm hoping there are some of you out there that can give me some insight as to how you decided you were ready to train for a marathon.

I had been running about 25 miles / week when I made the decision to start training. I told my coworker that I was thinking about doing it and he told me to go for it. In committing myself - I went home and signed up for the race before I hit the teeth of the training and I believe this was instrumental, in terms of sticking with my training. My roommate (who said he was going to do it) -- never signed up and faded in the training when it was time to crank the 16, 18, and 20 milers on Sunday mornings. Needless to say -- he wasn't toeing the line on race day with me.
    Over the latter half of this year, I've done two half marathons and I have another on Sunday. I felt pretty good during my first 1/2, felt like crap during my second 1/2 (it was a lot hotter that day and the heat got to me), I've been feeling really good lately and am feeling pretty good about Sunday's race. My husband (who is not a runner), thinks I should attempt a marathon.

I'm considering signing up for one in June '13 (I'm already committed to another 1/2 in April). This seems like ample time to prepare, if I start now. How did you know you were ready? What were your personal driving factors that ultimately led to you successfully completing a marathon?

I would say you have PLENTY of time to get ready. The most conservative marathon plans I considered were 18 weeks long (and I think I saw some that were 20 weeks long). I ended up settling on a 16 week training program. Your body already has an understaning of distance running and fitness, which puts you way ahead of the 8-ball.

Also - if you do the training (as prescribed), there is no doubt in my mind that you can do a marathon. IMO - the training is harder than the race.

Feel free to add me in case you have questions or are looking for support along the way.
  • dorianaldyn
    Options
    Thank you culley34! And, yes, I agree, signing up for the race definitely helps keep you on task. If I sign up, it'll be the full version of the first half marathon I ever did, so it would be nice in that respect.... first half completed the first year, the full completed the second year. The first half is hilly and harder so the second half might feel like smooth sailing in comparison? That's probably too much to ask for, but mentally I think it'll help a little knowing I already made it through the "hard" half.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    How did you know you were ready? What were your personal driving factors that ultimately led to you successfully completing a marathon?
    I knew I wanted to do one, but had no idea I was ready. I just dove right in after completing a half. The full was set for 7 months from the mini, so I figured I had plenty of time to adjust myself. My best friend, his fiance, and I all agreed to hold each other accountable, and that drove me to keep up with training. I can't remember exactly how many miles I was logging each week, but I wasn't really following any set plan. I ran when I had time through the week, and set Saturdays as long run day. Never got over 17 miles for a long run though...

I set high hopes for a 4-hour finish time since I ran the half in 1:52. I ended up not training enough with long runs and speedwork to hit my goal time, but I knew I wasn't NOT going to finish. I walk-jog-shuffled the last 8 miles, but it was worth it. Ended up finishing in 4:41
  • lesliep107
    lesliep107 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi! Let me just preface this whole thing with this--I've run 6 marathons so far with widely varying times. Some I felt reasonably well prepared for, and some not really at all. But the sense of accomplishment at all of them was equally outstanding.

I encourage to to sign up and run. If you end up killing it- great. If you end up walking the last 6 miles, 3 miles, 2 miles whatever (which by the way I seriously doubt will happen given the amount of running you do) you still finished.

I love what @carsonruns said about knowing when you're "ready".

"This is like knowing when you are ready to have kids. You just never know for sure, so you have to take a leap of faith."
    (how do you get one of those nifty quote boxes to pop up?)

That just about sums it up.
  • HendricksGolfGirl
    HendricksGolfGirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My sister in law talked me into it. We were drinking wine and eating high fat fettuccine Alfredo. It seemed like a good idea at the time. We looked at timelines and figured 6 weeks for a couch to 5k, then at least 18 weeks to train after that. Needless to say, it was both harder, and easier than we thought. If you follow the formulas (we used Hal Higdan), it's pretty much a no brainer on how to train. That said, a walking fracture of my left foot, taping that, training through, etc., etc. was hard. The marathon itself was actually a little embarrassing. She and I were the last ones to finish with a TERRIBLE time. However, I finished, and it's an achievement no one can ever take away from me. Because of my training (including the final 20 mile jog), I know that I can do anything with enough preparation and tenacity. Just do it. Give yourself the time in the training program, plus a couple of weeks in case of accident, and pick a race that is very close to your training environment (e.g. if you are running in 50 degree weather to train, it is very difficult to complete a marathon in 85 degree weather...trust me, I know). I look forward to following you and encouraging you on your journey.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I agree with Carson, I just knew. I honestly can't explain it either...but deep down I just knew it was something I needed to do, for me though no one else.
  • dorianaldyn
    Options
    Thank you everyone! You've all been so helpful.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    (how do you get one of those nifty quote boxes to pop up?)

{quote}
    Put stuff here.
    {/quote}

Replace the curly brackets with square brackets (the ones on the same keys).
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't remember what prompted me to decide to do it (it was 10 years ago) but I trained with Team in Training and thought it was a great experience. I actually enjoyed the training more than the marathon itself. Training took up a lot of time for me though so as long as you think you can make the committment, sign up and cross it off your bucket list.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    wow I was a late bloomer to this marathon party...I never thought abt doing ever until one day I watched that tv show "the biggest loser"...they had a challenge that including running a marathon. Im like you got to be FN kidding me so the 3 finalist finished it. I had been running for abt 10yrs never had that in my mind at all...the next day I signed up for my local marathon which was 6 months away. 2 marathons later with my 3rd next yr....you just never know what inspires ppl to do it....did I think I could do it...wasnt sure but if they could try (((and they were still kinda big))) I had to at least make the effort.........good luck to you
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It was kind of a bucket list thing for me - 1) Skydiving, 2) Run a marathon, 3) Commit the perfect murder ..... a friend of my mom's ran a marathon and I thought, well if she can do it...

The idea sounded crazy until I'd done my first few half-marathons and then I figured, "It's only another 13.1 miles .... why not?"
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm another adult onset runner. I've now done 25 marathons and I'm honestly trying to figure out whether or not I like the distance. I really like racing halfs.

I ran halfs for a couple years before I decide to run a marathon. I knew I would run one, but I knew I wanted to go in well trained and do it right.

To me, nothing is more exciting than training for that first marathon. Each week you have to run further than you ever have before and you have no idea how you are going to do, but you do it. Then you do it again and again. Next thing you know you are saying things like "I'm only running 15 this weekend..."

I see way too many people in a huge hurry to "finish" a marathon. I say slow it down and take the time to become a runner.

Anyway, it sound like you are ready to rock, so train hard and kick some marathon butt out there.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

i decided i was ready to train for a marathon because it seemed like a natural progression. i started 'running' 20 months ago, after my 3rd baby in 4 years, and i was weighing about 230lbs. i started with c25k. after that it seemed natural to move up to b210k. as i was never fast but seemed to do pretty well with endurance, i moved up to training for a half. when i finished my 1st half , i though what a ridiculous idea that was! why would i run 13.1 miles ever again? i lost the running plot briefly, but then an idea started to germinate in the back of my head- if i could do a half, why not a full? so, i signed up for a full about 6 months later, and signed up for a bunch of halves in the meantime. i did a 20 week training plan, and gave myself space for ****-ups.

i think that when you're training for a half, a 10k run seems a really nice distance- far enough to be a proper run, but not too far to nearly kill you. when i train for a marathon i feel that way about the half. these days i know i can go out and run 13 miles off the cuff and not feel like i was dying. every single long run past 13 miles is further than you have ever done before- it is daunting when you look at the training plan and think '****! how am i going to do that?' but you do it.

fwiw, my first half marathon a year ago was the same run as the marathon i did 2 weeks ago. last year i thought the half was soooooooo hilly, and really challenging. took me 2hrs50 to complete. this year i realised that it really wasn't that hilly at all, and i got to the halfway mark in 2hrs30. finished in 5hrs 38. if you can, fit into your training some of the halves you have already done and have comparison times for- it will help with your confidence.

just get a training plan that you like the look of, and make sure you do the long runs.

you're so ready!
  • gollyitsmolly
    Options
    After finishing a half and thinking "that's it? I think I could keep going!!" was the first part. Then when knew I could/wanted to train consistently for a full 12 weeks and it would feel like an accomplishment not a burden! Good luck!!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    After finishing a half and thinking "that's it? I think I could keep going!!" was the first part. Then when knew I could/wanted to train consistently for a full 12 weeks and it would feel like an accomplishment not a burden! Good luck!!

Exactly!

At then end of my first few halfs I remember thinking "no effing way could I turn around and do that again!"
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon after completing approx 10 half marathons. I felt I was ready. I ran with a friend who had run hundreds (literally) of marathons. We did 2 twenty mile runs before the big race and a ton of speed work on the track and hill work (which sucked!). I ended up getting 5th place in my age group during my first marathon. There is a lot of great training info out there. Good luck in your first marathon. They are fun and its a great accomplishment!!
  • CaptainSwab
    Options
    I ran several half marathons first. Then my dad joined a running club that was training for the la marathon. I liked the idea of the club and once I joined I got sucked into the marathon schedule. That was 10 years ago, and 10 marathons and 3 babies later the club still sucks you in. Lol

I would say you know if you are ready if you have enough time to devote to a training schedule. I think I saw Hal higdons name mentioned already amd I would agree with that. If there is a running club in your area I would suggest that because it makes the long runs feel easy.
  • dorianaldyn
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies!!

I think I'm going to take the plunge and register. My preferred race (San Francisco Wipro Marathon) unfortunately won't be an option because it's the same weekend as my father in law's 90th birthday for which we'll have to travel to. So, I think I'm going to sign up for the Surfer's Path marathon in May - that should still give me ample time to train AND it happens to take me along the coastline of one of my favorite places on earth - Santa Cruz, CA :-).

I'm still so nervous to click "register"!! But it's a good nervous.