How do they lose so much weight

Options

Replies

• MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I have been at this since May of this year, and I have lost a total of 21 pounds. Some people loose weight faster than other. Loosing weight is not gonna happen over night it's gonna take time and patience and a whole lot of effort. Just keep doing what you are doing and the weight will fall off.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I lost 45 lbs in about 4 months, honestly just busting *kitten* and I really didnt research how to properly lose weight so i had a huge caloric deficit lol, but now I really dont care what I weigh - and im starting to believe the calories in< calories out. I'm just addicted to LIFTING and its addicted to making me stronger and more muscular (ie. skinnier)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also keep in mind that fast weight loss isn't good for your body. A lot of the time, you end up losing muscle, your skin's elasticity won't compensate as much so you will be saggy, your joints won't have as much protection as you lost muscle as well, and as a women your boobs can become more saggy. Keep in mind fat loss > muscle and fat loss.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Not to be a light weight whiner but the real kicker is people who started out obese then lose 100 lbs and pass me up in the same amount of time I've been trying to lose weight. :-( Congrats to all you ex +200 pounders who are now 125, but I started out at 155 and now I'd give my baby to just to be 135 lol
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've lost an average of 1.75 lbs a week since starting and I'm thrilled :flowerforyou: especially since I've been able to do it with net calories at 1600 - 1800 per day. Seems like the only way I could go faster would be to either work out twice as long or eat less and I'm not willing at this point to do that. What I'm doing is almost...easy! I could do this indefinitely. Works for me.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing. I started MFP in August. It is now November, and I am down only 12 pounds. I guess it all depends on a lot of things....age, weight, gender, metabolism, exercise...well, you get the picture. Anyway, I'm sure you didn't gain all the weight in a week (at least I didn't), so you can't expect to lose it that quickly either. Just keep at it and you WILL lose. You could probably lose faster by cutting your calories to an unhealthy amount, but you couldn't keep doing that for long, and would probably gain it all back again when you stopped. So make this a lifestyle change you can live with forever and the weight may come off slower, but it will stay off permanently, and that's the important thing! Good work on your weight loss so far...you can do this!!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Don't be so quick to compare yourself with others....everyone is different, and I'm sure they didn't gain weight the same as you did either. They aren't all the same age, sex and don't have the same genetic makeup. Be happy for what you have lost and keep up the good work!

As long as you're eating right and exercising, it will come off.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I see people on MFP who have lost 45-65 pound in just around 3 to 3 and half months. I have been on here for 40 days and I am only down 12 pounds. I have been doing very well counting every calorie that goes into my mouth and trying to walk every day. Should I be doing more I want my weight to come off that fast. The only time I ever lost weight that fast I was doing a diet pill.

I wonder if maybe the strong desire for the weight to come off fast is actually hindering your goals? Personally, I have been eating 20% fewer calories than my TDEE and exercising 3 times a week. I think there is such a thing as trying too hard.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think we're losing around the same rate. I've been on 60 days and lost 14 lbs. I would love to lose faster as well, but everyone seems to say that slower is better. At least we're going in the right direction!
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I lost 42lbs in about 4 months, but was eating too low of cals for my needs and working out 2 hours a day everyday. I didn't have energy, kinda felt like crap, but the weight came off. And there was no way it was sustainable for me, I had to push myself hard for those 2 hours lol I have been stuck on the scale now going on 3 months. But I upped my cals to where they should be, and I have lost inches and bf even if I haven't lost lbs. Don't just go by the scale, the inches tell a way bigger story!!

I just starting heavy lifting and lowered my cardio days and seeing if this will get me moving. I agree with everyone else, the bigger you are, the quicker you will drop weight, but those people usually even out too and start to lose slower the smaller they get.

Hang in there, it will come off and even if the scale isn't moving, take pics and measurements and you will be pleasantly surprised at how much your body is actually changing!! :happy:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've lost an average of 1.75 lbs a week since starting and I'm thrilled :flowerforyou: especially since I've been able to do it with net calories at 1600 - 1800 per day. Seems like the only way I could go faster would be to either work out twice as long or eat less and I'm not willing at this point to do that. What I'm doing is almost...easy! I could do this indefinitely. Works for me.

^^^ This is an important point.

I think people try to lose weight TOO fast by increasing their calorie deficit and only eating a tiny amount of food. That isn't the best way, neither is it the easiest way. I have also been between 1600-1800 calories since I started. I think that eating at a smaller deficit makes it a lot easier. What I eat now is roughly the amount of food that I will eat to maintain my goal weight.
  • msmotivated86
    msmotivated86 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who are saying heavier people tend to lose weight quicker. I wish it was the same for everyone but I'm not complaining. I've been doing this consistently since the end of Feb/beginning of March and I'm down 38 lbs. This is a lifestyle change for me so I still eat breads, pastas, pizza, fries, and occasional soda. It may be taking me a little longer than others but I haven't gained a lb back yet so it works for me! Keep up the good work and trust me it'll pay off.
  • crickette0435
    Options
    I don't know about other folks on here but I have a lap band. It is an aid but trust I have to do the work. My surgeon has me concentrate on a loss of 2 lbs. a week. Trust that is healthy you do not want to lose any faster than that remember you need to balance fat loss with muscle gain. When I first started losing weight I weighed 400 lbs. I got a gastric bypass but believe I was in the gym every morning. I got down to 175 lbs which for my body type was the bomb!! With my sons birth and severe depression I put on 100 lbs. Thus far since January I am down 52 lbs. and loving it. Yes I have a ways to go but as long as I have permanently altered my eating habits it's all good. It did not take us over night to gain it and it wont take over night to lose it. Keep it up you are doing awesome.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I see people on MFP who have lost 45-65 pound in just around 3 to 3 and half months. I have been on here for 40 days and I am only down 12 pounds. I have been doing very well counting every calorie that goes into my mouth and trying to walk every day. Should I be doing more I want my weight to come off that fast. The only time I ever lost weight that fast I was doing a diet pill.

BTW, you are doing TERRIFIC!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The real question- since everyone is different, how long did it take you to gain that weight? I have never gained 60lbs in 30 months, I can't imagine taking it off that quickly.

We are so quick to pay attention to the loss and ignore the realistic issues of the gain- focus on that, because your body is like no other here.

For me, an extra 150 lbs took about 5 years to put on- and kept on an additional 3 years, up and down within a few pounds, telling myself I weighed less than I did- and refusing to get on a scale- then, dr visit (which also avoided) showed I was 330 lbs! At 5'9 I was able to hide it from myself I think, but how I fooled myself. So, that process took much longer, focus on how you gained, why you gained, and how long of time did you gain, then you'll know what your body gains at. I also did a average diet entry on MFP a couple months ago- (since when I started the weight loss I wasn't using this tool), my diet would range from 3000-4000 calories a day!!! And I was a carb addict- big time!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I get discouraged sometimes too...last time I seriously tried to get fit and lose weight it seemed to come off much more quickly. BUT, since then I have had two children, aged 15 years, and the weight is much slower this time. I am losing about 1lb a week, but my fitness and overall health has greatly improved. Since I'm in this for the long haul, I'm pretty content :). Those weeks when I don't lose at all are still hard. It's all relative I suppose--two pounds would seem like a whole lot to me :).
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It's all relative to you.

I've lost 57 pounds since March 13th, 2012... but I've lost 10 pounds since August. That means in 4 1/2 months I lost 47 pounds, and in almost 4 months I've lost 10 pounds. I still have 80 to go, but I used to have 140 to go. When I was 270, the weight fell off quickly, and it was hard not to lose hope when that stopped.

It's actually almost a psychologically worse thing to be that overweight and lose weight. You watch 3-8 pound losses every week for a few months, and then it all but stops and you get 0.4 pounds here, 0.6 pounds there. This is where most people give up, when it slows.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are like me.

I started losing weight in January, when I was 238 pounds.

I didn't join MFP until June, when I was 214 pounds.

A couple of weeks ago I reset my ticker to reflect all of my weight loss, including that since January.

But I cannot change my MFP start date.

And that is why it looks like I have lost 63 pounds in 5 months. It's actually been going on 11 months.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 pounds in going on 9 weeks. I have my calories set to 1400 and then sometimes I eat my exercise calories back and sometimes I dont. I know this "extra" defiicit is whats making up for the over 2 pound a week loss.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The faster you lose weight the looser your skin gets...I'm taking my time!