No Time, Still Eating Healthy

Options
I run around from place to place because I have 2 jobs that are about 30 miles away from one another.

My solution?? A car box called the "Don't you dare waste money or calories on fast food" box. Catchy, right ;)

Name aside, this box has been HUGELY helpful.

I bought a large bag of dry roasted almonds and divided them into 100 calorie servings and put them in tiny tupperware containers.
There's 70 calorie string cheese sticks (which keep cold just fine in the November air)
High Energy Protein bars - around 20 grams of protein for 180 calories
Wheat Goldfish crackers - again, bought a larger bag and divided into 100 calorie zip locks.
Fruit leathers
Campbell's Tomato on the go soup
90 calorie containers of tuna (18 g. of protein, but this is just a thought. I can't have tuna)
no-sugar added applesauce
whole grain cereal (again divided into tupper ware)
Instant oatmeal (made my own packets from 1-minute oats pulsed in the blinder 4 times)
Microwave pack of brown rice

Now I'll grant you that this is not 100% ideal, but man it is sure better to make a meal of a couple items from this list than to drive through McDonalds and waste money.

So this is my budget friendly and tummy friendly assistant. I bought all the stuff about a week ago and have used it nearly every day. Really eliminates unhealthy snacks.

Of note? I also have a box of Caramel Delights (Samoas) in my car that have not been touched- thanks to this box.

Any one else do this? Have ideas for other things to keep in the car box (I'm vegetarian, occasionally pescatarian)?

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I like your conviction. I've been on the run for the last week and had to go the drive through route for some of my meals and realized how I got so heavy. One sandwich 650 calories. I normally eat that many calories with breakfast, snack,lunch and snack and it tastes better and makes me feel much better.

Keep up the good work.
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I stay put most of the day, but this is how I do healthy/cheap lunches at work: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/795756-my-lunch-is-bringing-sexy-back
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Wht a great idea! I don't have to worry about this much as I am able to pack my meals and keep them in the fridge(s) at work(s) (I work two as well, only mine are closer together). I do keep almonds on hand though. They are my "new" addiction versus the chocolate I used to scarf down. maybe if you need something sweeter you could add the dark chocolate almonds from Blue Diamond...
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Great List. Here are some additional things that keep well at room to cool temps:
    pickles
    olives
    carrot sticks
    apples
    nut butters
    rice crackers
    hard boiled eggs
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I think this is a GREAT idea. I don't have a car box, but I always try to make sure that I have healthy snacks like bananas,nuts, etc available to me.
  • kellyreynolds14
    Options
    Great List. Here are some additional things that keep well at room to cool temps:
    pickles
    olives
    carrot sticks
    apples
    nut butters
    rice crackers
    hard boiled eggs

I second the carrot sticks and hard boiled eggs. Carrots are so filling and so low in calories!
  • Shellsmiley
    Shellsmiley Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hmmm now if only I had a car - GREAT IDEA!! Too bad walking and busing around we can't do that as easily or with such a large variety (cold things). I LOVE my veggies though. :) You seriously gave me some awesome ideas!! THANK YOU!!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Nothing of importance to add, but....

Can I have those Samoas? Seriously. Best Girl Scout cookie ever invented!
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Lololol. Bought them from a friend's daughter for the man friend. But otherwise- yes.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    This is a really good idea. My husband is always on the go too with school, work and taking the kids to their various activities. This would be good to have snacks for them in it as well so he doesn't stop at Sonic all the time and get them (and himself) fried cheese sticks or tater tots, lol.