Advice about snacking at work

Options
I have a desk job, that sometimes i really do enjoy but it can be boring. I'm relatively busy at work but Im still sitting so for some reason hunger bothers me more when Im sitting than when im up and moving. This has made dieting a challenge for me. I followed all the advice, I eat high fiber, high protein, whole food meals for lunch and bring high protein snacks to work like organic nuts or dried edamame. I still get hungry and there is candy everywhere in our office, Has anyone else been able to overcome this dieting obstacle with a desk job? Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would say snacking is ok for you since you barely eat 1000 calories a day. Snack more. You are probably hungry because you aren't eating enough. And if you are active (like you workout), you will need more calories.

ps- I have trail mix or a protein bar when I get hungry.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Haha Oh no, I often dont finish my diary because when I do snack and eat poorly I have the all or nothing attitude and then tossing the day. If i track everything i always eat at least 1500 calories. I eat much more than that....maybe thats the bigger problem...
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, too and there's a popcorn machine, cookie dish, candy bowl, and honor box downstairs. So I usually have several pieces of fruit on my desk, a bag of almonds in my drawer, and a bag of jerky on the desk. I bring my scale with me to work every day to measure things so I know I'm logging them accurately (for the fruit) or eating the appropriate portion (for the nuts and jerky). I'm kind of a loner, so I don't leave my office much so I'm not tempted, but I'm very happy with the success I've had so far and I don't want to sabotage myself, so it's easier all the time to pass up the cake and donuts and stuff that people bring.
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I love my job and my coworkers, but I've never been around a group of people that eats so much so often, lol!!
    I keep cottage cheese in the fridge, Old Fashioned Quaker oatmeal in my desk, I pack a daily bag of edamame, cucumbers, red and green peppers, boiled eggs, greek yogurt, etc. daily. That way, if I HAVE to snack, I just tell myself I'm not going to eat anything that I didn't bring, and I get into my bag. It's worked for me so far. Also, I always try to keep water on my desk. :-)
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    you could try bringing fruit to work. i keep apples and bananas at the shop for snacks, i also keep berries in the fridge to mix with yogurt and protein shakes.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...I keep a stash of healthy snacks at work (protein bars, fruit, cereal, yogurt).
  • svanzile
    svanzile Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Fruit or veggies! I swear I'm eating grapes all day long :) Or find some rice cakes that you actually enjoy the taste of... makes you feel like you're snacking on a bag of chips but doesn't hurt you so bad calorie/fat wise! Good luck!
  • adk88
    adk88 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem. I usually cut down my calories a little for breakfast and lunch to allow myself a small snack every 1-2 hrs while working. I try to snack on things like celery, apples, light cheese strings, almonds, and I am a hige fan of the 100 calorie Thinsation snack packs. I always get my diary ready for breakfast and lunch the night before so I know I allowed myself the calories for these things. I find that generally works for me. I'm not the kind of person who can go from breakfast to lunch without anything. I just have smaller meals, more often. I find this works best for me and helps with keeping on track.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    What you are probably feeling "boredom hunger". I have a desk job myself. To curb the hunger I drink TONS of water and hot tea. I also schedule 2 snacks daily, 1 at 10am and 1 at 2pm. Normally they are either beef jerky, almonds, protein bars or fiber granola bars.

I'm pretty good at resisting other people's food temptations because I'm prepared.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I snack ALL DAY. literally....ALL DAY. I'm sure my office staff thinks I'm a fat*ss lol
    I pre-log and break items up so I can eat.
    For example:

7:30AM (home): string cheese=50
    2 cups water
    9:30AM (work): Breakfast sandwhich =250
    2 cups water
    1:00PM: Soup =140
    somewhere in between I drink hot chocolate = 20
    2 cups water
    3:00PM: Sandwhich=150
    2 cups water
    5:30-6: Dinner.... whatever it may be
    2 cups water
    8:00-8:30= snack... 100-200

I eat more if I'm hungry (or working out) and less if not. All depends...
    I usually know how much calories r in our candy, and I don't want to "waste" my calories.
  • Alast
    Alast Posts: 33
    Options
    I have the same problem. What works best for me are fruits (currently bananas and oranges) and/or simply a slice of cheese with a slice of ham. The fruits are good for your sugar level and the cheese/ham combination helps against hunger. Ok, a banana does that, too, so i guess its the perfect fruit. Also i heard bananas are good against low mood due to the lack of sunlight in the winter :)
  • Cherylpie77
    Cherylpie77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job and my calorie allowance is 1500 a day, but I always make sure I have a drawer full of low cal snacks that I really like. 90 calorie bags of crisps like Wotsits or Skips, small chocolate bars around 100 cals, or lower calorie biscuits like Rich Tea. That way, I can have a treat if I really feel I need one (and eating a small chocolate bar really kills the hunger for me), but it won't ruin your calorie counting. Nuts are much healthier, but pretty high in calories and don't always feel like a treat :-)
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The one thing that I do to avoid the sweets and candy at is work is to go in and add them and see how many calories they are. I wanted a bigger size tootsie roll the other day. When I looked at its calories and saw that it was 50 calories I decided that I didn't want to waste 50 calories on something that wouldn't satisfy me. I chew gum all the time, that way I don't feel like I need to eat something just because it is there. Like today when one of our foreman brought in donuts, I was so proud of myself for walking away from them. I like the following snacks:

celery with laughing cow cheese
    string cheese
    boiled egg
    cucumber slices
    beef jerky
    banana or apple slices with peanut butter
    almonds (I buy the toffee glazed ones)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of tea.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a desk job as well that requires me to be at my desk or somewhere in a 3 ft radius for about 9hrs a day. Fortunately, we have the luxury of bringing in our own mini fridges if we want. When I didn't have a fridge, I would load up on almonds. You can even stash an ounce of semi-dark chocolate at your desk for "emergency" cases.

Now that I have a fridge, I eat the same snack at the same time everyday and I drink TONS of water. AM snack is greek yogurt and my PM snack is an EAS Low Carb Shake. Try eating every 3hrs and have your food at the same time everyday. That way your body doesn't get that "urge" to snack inbetween meals.
  • alaty211
    alaty211 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too it is very challenging not to get bored and wanna eat something thats why I keep full stock of water, preztels, granola bars, apples, oranges, rice cakes,snackwell 210 calorie cookies. Alot of low calorie snacks you may need to up your water intake to curb your hunger.
  • Juliechilli
    Juliechilli Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too. I work at a Firm where there is ALWAYS food left over in the conference rooms. We're talking good stuff! When I'm in the mode of losing. I basically do not allow myself to eat any of the leftover food. I bring my lunch, which I prepare on Sundays usually, and just stick to that. It's not easy. I am also doing a 12 week 'challenge' with some coworker who also want to lose. We weigh-in and report to each other every Monday. So that keeps me pretty accountable during the week. I also go to the gym at lunch and drink green tea whenever I have a craving. I tend to eat when I'm bored too. I feel your pain!
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and I eat sunflower seeds all afternoon 2/3 OF cup is only 200 calories and full of healthy fat
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I work for a produce company and still can't deal with the constant need to 'snack'. LOL

There are days I wanna chew my arm off an then the next day I could go all day without even thinking about eating.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Haha Oh no, I often dont finish my diary because when I do snack and eat poorly I have the all or nothing attitude and then tossing the day. If i track everything i always eat at least 1500 calories. I eat much more than that....maybe thats the bigger problem...

Maybe if you don't keep track of everything you eat, then you will never know what the problem is. Not logging is cheating, and you are only cheating yourself and hindering your own goals.