Spaghetti squash spaghetti

Options
My 4 and 7 year old could not tell the difference. They ate 2nds!!

Cut the spaghetti squash in half long way and put it face down in the oven on a cookie sheet for 1 hour at 350 the use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and a fork to take out the shreds. The number of calories in spaghetti squash in less that 1/4 the calories of regular pasta.

Number of servings 16
Serves people 8

Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Protein
Generic - Spaghetti Squash, 1 container (4 cup (155g) ea.) 168 40 2 4
Johnsonville - Ground Mild Italian Sausage, 1 container (12 oz ea.) 1,020 6 78 60
Kroger - Italian Style Stewed Tomatoes, 1 3/4 cup (123g) 123 28 0 4
Great Value - Chunky Mushrooms & Green Peppers Pasta Sauce, 1 container (2 1/2 cups ea.) 400 65 13 10
Generic - Onion (Raw Chopped 2 Tbsp.), 4 tbsp 16 4 0 0
Oil - Olive, 1 tablespoon 119 0 14 0
Beef - Ground, 80% lean meat / 20% fat, crumbles, cooked, pan-browned (hamburger), 1.5 portion ( yield from 1/2 lb raw meat )
608 0 39

Replies

• cdub78
    cdub78 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just tried this 2 weeks ago and it was amazing! Not only does it not taste bad but it looks just like noodles! I cooked my squash in the crockpot on low all day. poked holes in it with a knife and put about 8 ounces of water in it and went off to work. When it's done cut it in half width wise and get out all the seeds and shred the squash up. My husband and son didn't want to try it so I made them regular noodles but made them try a bite of mine and they said it was great. I had lots left over so i froze it...not sure how that's going to be but I will know tomorrow!
  • crickette0435
    Options
    I just tried this 2 weeks ago and it was amazing! Not only does it not taste bad but it looks just like noodles! I cooked my squash in the crockpot on low all day. poked holes in it with a knife and put about 8 ounces of water in it and went off to work. When it's done cut it in half width wise and get out all the seeds and shred the squash up. My husband and son didn't want to try it so I made them regular noodles but made them try a bite of mine and they said it was great. I had lots left over so i froze it...not sure how that's going to be but I will know tomorrow!

Glad to hear it. I tried it with, I can't believe its not butter and some salt & pepper. It is the bomb!! Now if I can find a replacement for rice :sad:
  • Kprete1979
    Kprete1979 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a great short cut for you incase you don't have a full hour to cook up a squash. Cut the squash in half ( not long ways). Place the pieces upside down in a glass cake pan (Pyrex). Add about 1/4 cup of water to the bottom of the pan. Cover with Saran Wrap and place the dish in the microwave for 12 minutes ( for a 1.5 lb squash). It comes out just as perfect as it would in the oven. If buy a bigger squash increase the time by 1 - 1 1/2 minutes per lb. I wouldn't go past 15 minutes on a large squash. Hope this helps.
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Even faster.... I just stab it with a fork, leave it whole and microwave 6 minutes...roll it over and microwave 6 more. then split it, remove seeds and scrape. Toooo simple!
  • sunnyinaz78
    Options
    i Looooooove spaghetti squash and prepare it at least once a week all different varieties. MY recommendation....add a can of amy's organic tomato bisque soup with any type of veggie, Delicious!
  • wharkins
    wharkins Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Rice! It's the rice replacement you're looking for. I actually like it better than rice. Take a clean head of cauliflower and grate it. This can be done with a box grater or more easily with the grater attachment of a food processer. Take your grated cauliflower add a tablespoon or two of water and heat in the microwave on high for two minutes -season and serve.
  • Silly_Sara
    Silly_Sara Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing so much about spaghetti squash. Excited to try this!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I made this last night and it was sooo easy and delicious!
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    yummmmmm, going to try this tonight!
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's delicious with basil, chickpeas and feta : )...amazing with pesto sauce too but need to find a healthier alternative for that!
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Even faster.... I just stab it with a fork, leave it whole and microwave 6 minutes...roll it over and microwave 6 more. then split it, remove seeds and scrape. Toooo simple!

Beat me to it.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wifey has been doing a couple of different things with spaghetti squash. Each time equally as yummy. Sometimes seasoned with garlic and pepper, other times with smoked salmon, etc. It is becoming more and more of a staple for us in our meals. Quite yummy!!
  • abbymalby
    Options
    Ohhhh. Tell me more about this cauliflower rice. What would you use it in? Can you make stirfry, rice pilaf, burritos? I'm excited to try it, but I don't want to be discouraged if my first try is a flop...
  • mirasolabeille
    Options
    Ohhhh. Tell me more about this cauliflower rice. What would you use it in? Can you make stirfry, rice pilaf, burritos? I'm excited to try it, but I don't want to be discouraged if my first try is a flop...

I like to make "fried rice" with cauliflower rice. Sauté diced onion, minced garlic and finely chopped fresh ginger in a tablespoon or two of coconut or sesame oil. Dump in the "rice" and a teaspoon of low sodium soy sauce or liquid aminos. Toss and cook for a minute or so. Add whatever else you want - scrambled egg, green pepper, salad shrimp, diced cooked chicken, steamed broccoli from one of those microwave steamer bags. Toss to mix, season to taste (I like sriracha sauce), boom, done. And the leftovers are great the next day in a tortilla.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Love spaghetti squash! It's such a great replacement for spaghetti! Also, another vote for the easy microwave method!

I had a fantastic idea yesterday....I'm going to try making tacos with it instead of hamburger! After Googling, I am apparently not the culinary pioneer that I thought I may be, but it sounds like too great of an idea not to try at least once.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-tacos/
  • Mandas13
    Mandas13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The cauliflower rice and spaghetti squash sounds really good, I will have to try this!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Rice! It's the rice replacement you're looking for. I actually like it better than rice. Take a clean head of cauliflower and grate it. This can be done with a box grater or more easily with the grater attachment of a food processer. Take your grated cauliflower add a tablespoon or two of water and heat in the microwave on high for two minutes -season and serve.

I just chunk it up and throw it in a food processor- comes out awesome. I hate grating stuff.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Love spaghetti squash!! had for dinner last night!!! Can't wait to try the "rice" idea!
  • jjj1988
    jjj1988 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I have been searching for this. Someone said it would be with the vegetables. I found regular squash, but I assume spaghetti squash is already pre cut into something that looks like spaghetti right?