Ughh weigh in is not fun today!

Options
So I've been working out now for two weeks straight...60 min cardio plus weight training. My recommended caloric in take is 1200 calories per day and I've come in under every day so far. I've almost completely cut out caffeine and am drinking lots more water and I'm making much more healthily food decisions. I finally weighed in today and found my weight to be more than it was before I even started working out. I understand the whole muscle weighs more than fat...but its sooo frustrating! I want to see those numbers go down, not up! Anyone going through the same thing? Have any advice? :sad:

Replies

• swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You are starving. Eat more. Read the post for newbies they will explain it better than I can.
  • sheilalindner
    Options
    I also started back to lifting weights and have been sooooo good with the calories, but didn't lose last week or this week (barely)....My pants do feel better though around the middle and my arms, chest, and abs feel strong...
  • Kirst30
    Options
    Keep your chin up!

My main advice is to always make sure your calories are as close to 1200 as you can, and rather eat 50 cals more than 50 cals less... when you are doing that much exercise, your body may be holding onto its energy (or fat), wondering when its next meal will be, thus no weight loss.

Don't get disheartened though, you'll see the benefits soon! xxxx
  • sarina87
    sarina87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    How long is your weight training
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    eat more
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I agree... I think you may need to eat more... it sounds completely opposite of what you are trying to do but you're body is probably going into starvation mode and when this happens no amount of exercise will stop it until you get enough calories in your body... this has to be an everyday thing... consistant!!! Good luck...
  • gator2010
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! As far as the calories go...I honestly feel satisfied with the amount of food I am eating. I eat a couple hundred calories 3 or 4 times a day and usually come in close to 1200. I like how I no longer eat a huge meal and then feel stuffed. But then I go to the gym and burn off 7 or 800. So that leaves me with a deficit. As far as weights go...I alternate days between legs and arms. Depending on which body part, I do a few machines 4 sets of 12 reps. And I do abs everyday. I can tell somewhat of a difference in my clothes so I don't know if it's muscle or if my body is going into starvation mode. Thanks for any advice!
  • wendyrezvani
    Options
    I always gain at first. My best advice is stay off the scales for few weeks and measure. I would do lighter weights and more reps. Put on a happy face :wink: your up off the couch... Cheers to you for that...main thing stick with it and be proud of yourself for what you are doing....
    wendy
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 pounds my first week, then 1 pound the 2nd week... This is my third week and truly - I gained 2pounds. YUCK! But it's true, it may be the water weight just shedding. I talked to my friend who's a fitness instructor and she told me not to panic. The first 4 weeks usually puts your body in a confused mood so naturally it has to cope. And afterwards it will stabilize and build lean muscles and then you become a burning machine. I trust her experience. She used to be waaaaaayyy more overweight than me and now she is my very inspiration. She even competes in weighlifting and all that fancy stuff. But when she is in her relaxed mode, she does go back to just being the fit girl everybody wants to be.

We will get there. Don't despair!
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a couple hundred cals 3-4 times a day, then yes you are getting to about 1200 calories per day. That is the minimum amount of calories your body needs to normally function. Then you are working out, burning 700+ calories. That means your body is running off of about 500 calories. Remember, your body NEEDS 1200 calories in order to function, so if its getting starved, its going to shut down the burning ability for excess fat and save it! So try to get in the 1200 calories (eat your workout calories) and you should see a difference! :flowerforyou:
  • gator2010
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input! It's so nice to have people to talk to who know what I'm experiencing. I will try and up the calories...hopefully that will help!! It's just hard to get that thought of eating more to lose weight through my head, even though it does make sense! :smile:
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more with that amount of exercise!