DL, Calves, and Thighs..

Right now my week looks something like this:
Mon: Chest + Calves
Tues: Legs (Quad Focus) + Back, 30-40 min HIIT leg routine
Weds: Cardio (Usually 30 min steady state) + Glutes
Thurs: Arms (Bis/Tris) + Core (20 min HIIT core routine)
Fri: Legs (Ham focus) + Shoulders

I throw in additional cardio when I have time/feel like it. I know, I'm working on adding more.

Today was squats, calf raises, leg ext, lunges (all heavy weight) then the standard back workout, and
Booty Builder (36 min HIIT focusing on legs/glutes). I threw up.. hah

Now my questions: I had planned on doing DL today- but I am hesitant to do both DL and squats on the same day- so should I just tack DL on tomorrow (Cardio, Glutes)? Or when would be an appropriate time to get it in? I wouldn't mind a short Sat or Sun workout of DL, hang cleans, along with a quick run..

On Fri (the leg (ham focus)/shoulders day) I do SL DL, bulg split squat, and wide stance squats along w/ others so that's not a good time do DL either.

Also, I'm missing the abductors/adductors machine and calves here... any at home subs that I can make HEAVY. I have some seriously powerful thighs. As far as calves, I do calf raises and bent calf raises but it's not cutting it... ideas?

Replies

• RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    I would do your dead lifts in with your glutes, though it wont hurt your to do them on the same day as you do squats. You really don't need the abductor/adductor machines. There are plenty of squat and lunge variations that hit those without needing to specifically isolate them.

My leg day is typically - leg press, leg extension, lying leg curls, split squat, squats, and calf presses on the the leg press machine.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I usually do my deadlifts on Friday and do more of a total body type work out...deadlift, front squat, clean and press, sumo DL etc...
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    I would do your dead lifts in with your glutes, though it wont hurt your to do them on the same day as you do squats. You really don't need the abductor/adductor machines. There are plenty of squat and lunge variations that hit those without needing to specifically isolate them.

My leg day is typically - leg press, leg extension, lying leg curls, split squat, squats, and calf presses on the the leg press machine.

I'll look into more variations and see what I can pull for thighs. I have a great setup, but I work out at home, so I don't have a lying leg curl machine or a leg press machine. I've started doing bent knee calf raises on a yoga ball with extra weight on my hips, but it's a bit of a struggle to finagle the right position...
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    I do stiff legged dead lifts front squats and regular squats the same day. That's also the day I eat a big breakfast. I do regular dead lifts with my back workout. So I do dead lifts twice per week. If I'm not feeling the dead lifts on leg day I replace them with weighted back extensions.
  • FitandFab33
    I usually do my deadlifts on Friday and do more of a total body type work out...deadlift, front squat, clean and press, sumo DL etc...

I honestly don't think I could ever do front squat.. my wrists are TERRIBLE little bird boned things. I tore them up with years of volleyball and carrying trays (server) through college. There's not much about me that's delicate, but my wrists certainly are. *grumble grumble*
  • FitandFab33
    I do stiff legged dead lifts front squats and regular squats the same day. That's also the day I eat a big breakfast. I do regular dead lifts with my back workout. So I do dead lifts twice per week. If I'm not feeling the dead lifts on leg day I replace them with weighted back extensions.

I do weighted back extensions on Tues (today) as well... I don't do front squats at all (as previously mentioned, my bird wrists make it difficult to make them heavy enough to make it worthwhile).
  • ndj1979

I honestly don't think I could ever do front squat.. my wrists are TERRIBLE little bird boned things. I tore them up with years of volleyball and carrying trays (server) through college. There's not much about me that's delicate, but my wrists certainly are. *grumble grumble*

I use a different kind of grip...you cross your hands in front of you and lay the bar across your arms...I have jacked up wrists too..about a year ago I was hurdling benches in a park and caught my foot on the bench and WAM came down on both my hands and severly sprained both wrists....took like a month for them to get back to normal....LOL sucks I know but kind of a funny story...
  • ndj1979
    if you google different grips for front squat I am sure you will see what I am talking about..not sure I am explaining it right...
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member

Raise your arms in front of you and create a shelf with your front delts. The bar rests on that shelf, so you don't actually hold it. You just stabilize it with your fingers. As far as deads and squats on the same day, start out slow and work up to the volume. Today I did squats, box squats, deadlifts, stiff leg deadlifts, and good mornings, all heavy. Introduce the exercise with a light weight and few reps, then up the volume as you go until you get used to it. Safe and steady. Just be prepared to allow yourself plenty of time afterwards to recover. In other words, you won't be hitting those muscles again for at LEAST 2 days, if not 3 or 4.
  • FitandFab33
    I did the DL today- with calves and cardio.. and it worked out really well. However, I tore my hips up with barbell hip thrusts- is there some kind of padding for that?