When you accidentally exercise too much... What to eat?

Options
So, i left the car at home today, and my public transportation pass decided it was the best day to get its data erased. So i ended up walking all day for every errand I had to do. i have to say that I live in a very small city, and I've always LOVED walking. I can walk miles without noticing any pain or strain on my legs and feet.
When I came back home I decided to track how many miles I walked in total using Google Earth and a calculator. I ended up burning like a thousand calories according to MFP (I left the heart rate monitor at home and my heart rate is lower than normal because I'm hypothyroid, so let's think I burned a lot less calories than that) and I walked around 8 miles (13 kilometers approx.)

Of course I skipped the gym (I couldn't go anyway, I'm on one of those days of the month that force me to stay away from any tight clothing :P) and I know that even when I walked at a slow-moderate pace I overdid it.

According to MFP i have yet to eat like a thousand calories today to eat back my exercise calories. It's almost 9PM and there's no way I can eat that much.

What do you do when you go over your calories? You eat fatty foods? Sugary snacks? I have to say that I had to have lunch at a restaurant today and I ate a high calorie meal, with a pancake with syrup included for dessert. So it's not like I can just have a burger for dinner. I feel stuffed!

Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I think thinking too hard about it is counterproductive. I'd call it a day, if you're truly hungry eat something but don't sit there and scrutinize every calorie thinking you have to compensate for it. Also, walking 8 miles wouldn't burn 1000 calories...I've run a 10 mile race before with an HRM and didn't burn 1000 calories. So I would say you are ok.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Lol, thanks! I live in Spain so we have yet to have dinner, but I don't feel I can't put many more calories in my body after the generous lunch we had today :)

I was told here on MFP that I exercise too much (two hours per day) and I was eating too little for the amount of calories I burn so I've been watching my calorie intake more closely than usual this week. That's why I came up with these worries and decided to post this thread. But yes,I do tend to get obsessed by anything lately.

Thanks a lot again :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I usually fill in those extra calories with beer. Mmmmmm...beer.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hehehehe ;)
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. I closed my diary tonight with calories left over - to be honest I don't entirely trust MFP's exercise calorie estimates. If I was hungry I'd have eaten some of them, but I'm not so I haven't.

It seems to work for me.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    So, i left the car at home today, and my public transportation pass decided it was the best day to get its data erased. So i ended up walking all day for every errand I had to do. i have to say that I live in a very small city, and I've always LOVED walking. I can walk miles without noticing any pain or strain on my legs and feet.
    When I came back home I decided to track how many miles I walked in total using Google Earth and a calculator. I ended up burning like a thousand calories according to MFP (I left the heart rate monitor at home and my heart rate is lower than normal because I'm hypothyroid, so let's think I burned a lot less calories than that) and I walked around 8 miles (13 kilometers approx.)

Of course I skipped the gym (I couldn't go anyway, I'm on one of those days of the month that force me to stay away from any tight clothing :P) and I know that even when I walked at a slow-moderate pace I overdid it.

According to MFP i have yet to eat like a thousand calories today to eat back my exercise calories. It's almost 9PM and there's no way I can eat that much.

What do you do when you go over your calories? You eat fatty foods? Sugary snacks? I have to say that I had to have lunch at a restaurant today and I ate a high calorie meal, with a pancake with syrup included for dessert. So it's not like I can just have a burger for dinner. I feel stuffed!

Any ideas? Thanks!

Tacos. All you can eat tacos.
  • TrixieTN
    Options

Sounds like a great plan to me! :drinker:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Any ideas? Thanks!

^^It's what I do.
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When I end the day with a major calorie deficit, I call it a win :)
    Why try to force yourself to eat if you aren't hungry? Isn't mindless eating how most of us packed on these extra pounds in the first place?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I think thinking too hard about it is counterproductive. I'd call it a day, if you're truly hungry eat something but don't sit there and scrutinize every calorie thinking you have to compensate for it. Also, walking 8 miles wouldn't burn 1000 calories...I've run a 10 mile race before with an HRM and didn't burn 1000 calories. So I would say you are ok.

Yeah, I doubt you burned 1000 calories walking 8 miles. I'm 200 pounds and burn about that much running that far.

But:
    And if you're drinking the right kind of beer about two should do it.

Or one beer and two Snickerses.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Any ideas? Thanks!

^^It's what I do.

:drinker:
  • jaforgie
    jaforgie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did this on Sunday, and tried to eat back the calories I had burned (about 1100), but I was stuffed at the end of the day, even though I didn't eat that much more. Plus, because I had eaten more than normal I was starving all day on Monday. I don't think that is a mistake I will make again.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree... don't overthink it. The estimated calories on MFP are exaggerated when compared to an HRM. If you're not hungry, don't eat! If you are hungry, eat sensibly and stop when you're satisfied. Your body will let you know if it needs more fuel!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry, I'd say save it for tomorrow and have an awesome lunch or dinner. Or eating low on a rare day won't hurt you.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Cache them later for a chicken wing expedition!

Congrats on all your weight lost. You are a rockstar. :flowerforyou:
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Lol, thanks! I live in Spain so we have yet to have dinner, but I don't feel I can't put many more calories in my body after the generous lunch we had today :)

I was told here on MFP that I exercise too much (two hours per day) and I was eating too little for the amount of calories I burn so I've been watching my calorie intake more closely than usual this week. That's why I came up with these worries and decided to post this thread. But yes,I do tend to get obsessed by anything lately.

Thanks a lot again :)

I typically get in a 90mins to 120 mins of workout time about 4 times a week over the course of the day between cardio and strength training and walking. I make sure I fuel up after the cardio/strength workout with some carbs and protein. When I walk all over town I just make sure I drink plenty of water. I think it's okay to exercise for 2 hours or more in a day just as long as you match it with food and water so your body can take the pounding. Great Job. Keep it up with the Super workouts and walking!!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference between having one day that's crazier than planned, calorie-burning-wise, and doing it habitually. If it was me, I'd maybe enjoy an extra treat I wouldn't otherwise (assuming you can do this in moderation and not go overboard), and get back to business as usual the next day. If you find yourself doing this more often, I would be much more concerned about hitting your calorie goals. Everyone has weird days, but I think you can maintain a healthy lifestyle much more easily if you don't overreact to them.

On a related note (and since you said Spain, maybe you can commiserate), how on earth can you record tapas in MFP? Yeesh, I just give up. Sometimes having a good time and eating awesome food trumps my food goals :)
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I only eat if I am hungry.... If I do a hard workout or walk allot I do drink a cup and a half of fat free milk that has a protein whey powder mixed in
  • yep call it a day, no to late to worry about eating your calories.
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, as long as you take in 1200 calories it doesn't much matter what your deficit is, so long as its a rare occurrence. I think it is the weekly counts that matter more anyway.