Crazy abs?!

Options
Any of you peeps with sick abs.. How often and to what degree do you work them?

Replies

• mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    *le sigh* I haz no abs..... :sad:
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    No crazy abs here but I've heard it's one group of muscle that you can work every day and unless your FB is very low you hard work won't show through.

I want some abs!!!
  • flabbyjay
    flabbyjay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Right exactly what I've heard..
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    No visible abs yet but I've lost inches in that area and am feeling mighty firm!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    No crazy abs here but I've heard it's one group of muscle that you can work every day and unless your FB is very low you hard work won't show through.

I want some abs!!!

not true.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Mine are just starting to show a *tiny* bit, I've gotta lower my BF% more. I don't work them that often though, once or twice a week. I've heard people with great abs say they never work their abs directly; they do a lot of heavy compound lifts that cause their core muscles to engage, naturally making the abs stronger. So that's what I tend to do. Sometimes I'll do some hanging leg raises as well, those seem to help. Goodbye crunches!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Dude you look kinda ripped, but if you cant see your abs i recommend doing a ton of sprints, and revamp your diet. Abs are always there, most people are skinny-fat (high body fat %) and all you need to do is lower that (body fat)

And i do abs once a week, i do compound weights and i have a pretty decent pack (not completely there yet haha!)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I've always had a fairly solid core, but my abs didn't start showing until I started training for my half marathon. The long slow runs seemed to really help me burn through the fat. I could see a hint of a six pack, but still it wasn't quite enough.

In February 2012, I started boxing - which is crazy work on the obliques simply in the act of punching, but we also do a crazy amount of crunches, planks, medicine ball work. This has helped big time. It's also a massive caloric burn when I hit my boxing classes (anywhere from 900 - 1500 cals).

Note: I only box once a week - so therefore, I only have targeted ab work once a week. The rest of the week, I focus on keeping my core tight - when walking, when sitting, etc...

I started watching my diet in earnest around May, and that seemed to be the topper that has gotten me here.

so in summary... long slow cardio, crazy *kitten* burns, watching calories.. all three were needed to get me to where I am.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    In February 2012, I started boxing - which is crazy work on the obliques simply in the act of punching, but we also do a crazy amount of crunches, planks, medicine ball work. This has helped big time. It's also a massive caloric burn when I hit my boxing classes (anywhere from 900 - 1500 cals).

Note: I only box once a week - so therefore, I only have targeted ab work once a week. The rest of the week, I focus on keeping my core tight - when walking, when sitting, etc...

You look amazing! Glad to hear boxing helped you so much. I've started kickboxing once a week and my abs are always sore the day after!
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ln0n1gIL4J1qc1alho1_400.gif
  • Cougarita65
    Cougarita65 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I work my abs every day I workout. I usually workout 7 then take a rest day. I took an extra rest day yesterday because my neck is in a bad crick,,,,lol
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    All night long.

alandancing1.gif
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    i have em. they are just white and i have stretch marks there fore i do not show them. :wink:
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

I want some abs!!!

From what I have read and experienced abs are just like any other muscle group. They need to rest to build. Doing abs 3-4 times a week is plenty. But everyone body is different.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    i have em. they are just white and i have stretch marks there fore i do not show them. :wink:

who cares if they're white with stretchmarks... SHOW EM OFF!

And, as far as I'm concerned... you have even more to be proud of - since the stretchmarks are likely due to baby, which means you had to work THAT MUCH harder to get them! :-D

Being a mom of two (age 5 and 7) myself, I'm that much happier with where I am.
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    Lean eating is a big part for me. Running every morn and at least 100 crunches on top of my daily workout. Ripped in 30 seemed to really help to.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Treat them with real resistance, not doing crunches or this planking nonsense.

L-sits/V-sits, dragon flags, ab wheel, etc....

You don't build big strong legs with little pink dumbbells, why would your core be different?
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    not a huge fan of crunches... but I'd keep the planks... you need a solid core, and the planking gives you that. Plus when the core tightens up, it helps suck the rest of it in.

don't toss out the planks!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I want some abs!!!

So less time on Facebook? Or just less friends?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    not a huge fan of crunches... but I'd keep the planks... you need a solid core, and the planking gives you that. Plus when the core tightens up, it helps suck the rest of it in.

don't toss out the planks!

When you can hold a plank 45-60 sec, continued holding ceases to have any strengthening effect.

A 45-60 sec plank is the ab equivalent of doing 15 pushups. Some might consider this high resistance, but many will find this laughably low.

A straight arm/leg, chin to floor ab wheel rep OTOH is like benching 2x BW. You need to be freaky strong in the core to pull it off.