Is too much protein bad?

I just realized that I am almost over my protein intake for the day and I havent even had dinner yet! I just started on Myfitnesspal the other day, so I am just learning what is ok and what is.

I have done weight watchers in the past, but it gets expensive and I got really tired of trying to determine everything's point value.

I am just trying to make sure I am not doing something wrong right off the get go!

Replies

• BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    I'd like to know the answer to this one too....I am over the goal value & havnt had dinner yet :huh:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    No, MFP sets the protein goal a bit low anyways.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    No, MFP sets the protein goal a bit low anyways.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    too much protein is hard on the kidneys
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    too much protein is hard on the kidneys

:huh:
  • MFP has a low default setting for protein, so it isn't bad at all. If the red numbers are bothering you, you can customize your setting under Goals - Change Goals - Custom. 30 percent is a good figure to aim for.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    I eat a LOT of protein.. think something like 200g/day. I hit protein everyday.. then worry about the rest of it. Too much of ANYTHING is bad for you- but the original MFP setting for protein def isn't over-doing it for the average healthy individual.

As far as difficult on the kidneys- yes protein is a little more work for the body to breakdown/dispose of, but you have to consume an EXTREME amount of protein for that to be an issue (unless there is an underlying medical issue).
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Good question. Unfortunately I can't help much. I have upped my protein intake by using protein powder a lot. I eat about 80-100g protein powder per day right now and was wondering myself if that's a bit too much. I can just say that it certainly did not hinder my weight loss, but I am not sure if it is actually still healthy.

I have been told by friends who know a lot about nutrition that I don't need that much protein, but that it does not do much harm. And it is just so convenient. I am happy to hear any opinions.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    It depends on what you define as too much protein.

There is a condition, know as rabbit starvation, also referred to as protein poisoning or mal de caribou, which is a form of acute malnutrition. However, it is my understanding the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.
  • its a lot better than too much carbs or fat.

yes the MFP level is way too low. I set mine at 40% carbs and 30% for the other 2. I work on the theory that if i meet my daily net I could never have too much protein within it.

Protein shake vs a muffin, bagel or cookie- go the protein shake.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    At the very least, MFP's protein goals should be considered a minimum to pass instead of a maximum to stay under.

I usually end up with 110-140g a day.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    its a lot better than too much carbs or fat.

How many carbs are too many?
  • its a lot better than too much carbs or fat.

How many carbs are too many?

Have edited my post. Basically saying protein is better for weight loss than carbs or fat ...
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    I end up anywhere from 135-200g of protein a day. I am trying to stay around 130. Nothing bad has happened and I've done it for months now. Even when I had kidney issues, I did have an issue of processing 100g.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    It's hard to get too much protein... that would be like 200+g/day regularly. What you do want to watch is your protein sources - make sure you aren't going way over on your saturated fat (ie animal sources vs whey, soy, pea, hemp, etc).