Shrimp Newbie

happypam
happypam Posts: 4 Member
Hi folks!

Just looking for some meal suggestions with shrimp! I've only recently given it a shot and I just LOVE it! But I've never cooked it and I'm a little intimidated...

I have a husband who wouldn't be able to eat it (supposed allergy, long story) but two little boys who can (almost 5 and almost 2)...

Any recipe suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• time2shine29
    time2shine29 Posts: 103 Member
    You can steam shrimp with old bay in a steamer and those come out quite tasty! Also, try stir frying with your favorite veggies.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Hmmm. I have tons of recipes but I cant seem to come up with something specifically for shrimp. My husband has fried coconut shrimp but its pretty caloric. I normally just heat them in a skillet and toss them in with whatever I cook - fettucini alfredo, salad, etc.
  • happypam
    Do you buy it cooked? raw? How do I know it's even done? Oh yes, I know that little... ha ha!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    First thing, it's really, really quick to cook! Like maybe 2 minutes in the pan... just 'till it goes opaque instead of being a bit translucent when it's raw.

Secondly, for your children (and maybe husband), I'd suggest putting it in things you normally make i.e. in a tomato pasta sauce, in egg fried rice, in a stirfry. If your husband really doesn't like them, you can make the dish without shrimp, take out his portion (and maybe add a bit of ham or something) then pop in the shrimp and quickly finish it off.

Thirdly, see Forest Gump i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhfK98f5S00 :laugh:
  • Try to buy it raw whenever possible because it is actually easier to cook. If you buy it frozen, it overcook. I can send you a recipe for Shrimp Creole, if you'd want. I have several shrimp recipes. They are also good to put in pasta salad too :) When you cook them, cook them until they are pretty much white or a light pink all the way through...if they get too dark, they are probably overcooked.
  • bpdai
    bpdai Posts: 46 Member
    Do you buy it cooked? raw? How do I know it's even done? Oh yes, I know that little... ha ha!

Depends on what you want to do with it. The biggest danger with shrimp is overcooking it (you end up with expensive rubber bands). I generally buy it raw, and frozen. Not living near the sea, that is the best way to get the freshest product. I will sometimes buy the frozen breaded or battered stuff, but that is pretty high in calories and kinda negates the healthy aspect, even if it tastes great. You can get it whole, tails only, or peeled and de-veined. How you buy it will be determined by what you are going to do with it, and how much time you have for preparation. Generally, the recipes you find will tell you what to buy and how to prepare it. Experiment! If you don't over cook it, you can't go too wrong.
  • happypam
    Thirdly, see Forest Gump i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhfK98f5S00 :laugh:

I just laughed out loud at work!!
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    I put salt and pepper on them, sometimes cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, or a combo. I heat a pan on medium for 5 minutes, spray with pam, and cook them for about a minute and a half on each side, looking to get a bit of a crust. They cook pretty quickly and will be pink throughout. This is large shrimp, not jumbo. I've never cooked those.

One other thing that's really good is to top with shredded permesian and cover the pan to let it melt. You can spread out the cheese without adding too many calories and it's delicous!

There's also some cajun seasoning you can buy at the grocery store that's really good on the shrimp.

ALSO, I've been buying the shrimp frozen mostly. Just pour them in a bowl with cool water and wait 15 minutes or so. They should thaw enough to easily peel.
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    I like raw and frozen too. I'm keto, so I cook mine in a good amount of butter and garlic as it fits in my macros. Can't ever get sick of it :) Too tasty.
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    I wish too that I knew how to cook them and they taste good. I have NEVER even tried shrimp but husband and son like. I should research and of course any other tips on here would be great :)
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Get it fresh if you can. Shrimp is good if you coat it lightly in cornstarch with salt and pepper and saute quickly with shallots, garlic and jalapeno (if you like spice). Just cook until it turns pink, then it's done. It's really nice with some kind of vietnamese dipping sauce with rice vinegar and fish sauce and whatever other flavourings you like. Enjoy.
  • LovahLorah
    LovahLorah Posts: 39 Member
    I make a pretty easy Baked Stuffed Shrimp. I buy them frozen, raw and deveined so you will only have to defrost and peel them.

16 - 20 Large Shrimp
    2 Cups crushed ritz crackers (approx 1 sleeve)
    2/3 cup melted butter
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 tablespoons white wine
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/3 teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat oven to 325

Peel and wash shrimp (some people leave the tale, I take it off). Add shrimp to a 9x13 baking pan and brush with a little melted butter. Bake in over for 3-4 minutes, remove from oven

While that is in the oven combine all other ingredients to make the stuffing. Stuff the centers of the shrimp with the stuffing mixture. Put back in the oven and cook for an additional 20 minutes or til shrimp are reddish/pink and stuffing is golden brown and slightly crisp.

Very easy and delish. I haven't tried with low-fat butter or crackers, but Im sure it would be just as delish!