I am so mad I could spit a cookie.

Options
I went to the local sporting goods store yesterday to get a heart rate moniter. I know nothing about these things and asked the sales guy to help me. I told him that I specifically want one to tell calories burned. He sold me a polar f3. IT DOES NOT SHOW CALORIES BURNED. UG! Now I am frustrated because the thing looks so darned complicated, and I know I have to get an upgraded one, that I am not sure I will ever learn how to use the blasted thing.

Does it have to be this difficult???

Replies

• Questfor250
    Options
    www.bodybugg.com. It works. I know my BMR and when I work out I spike big time. It was a bit more expensive but all it does is measure calories burned based on your own metabolism. It works.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Are you sure? I can't imagine an HRM that wouldn't show that, that's the whole point of them. I have a polar F4 I think and it tells how many I am currently burning, and then at the end gives a summay report of my duration of my work out, my average heart rate, my max HR and my calories burned.
  • little_wolfie
    Options
    And I want a cookie so bad I would eat your spit cookie. Dangit.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    That was hee-lairous Wolfie!!

I had a similar experience in non-sporting goods stores looking for women's gear. Target has excellent men's gear, Walmart has decent moisture wicking starter stuff for men, but it's like they don't think Women run. I could have spit many baked goods at once. I just broke down and paid over 2x for what I was looking for at ****'s_ Sporting Goods. They are even named after a man and sell quality running gear for women-sheesh!

I don't use a heart rate monitor, so unfortunately, I can't help you out there. I rely on less reliable sources such as my Nike+ and this website.

** I edited because it hid my "****s"_Sporting goods...this website has it's head in the gutter.!**
  • MarshJulie1989
    Options
    Agreed on the "women don't run" deal...try finding a super quality women's running shoe. it seems like as long as it's in pink they think it'll sell.
    Yeah, i looked up the FS3 online, doesn't say it shows calories burned. BUMMER. you could find a good site online that converts heart rate to calories...or you could just return it, siting a misleading sales pitch.
    The only two actual "calorie burn counters" i'm aware of are the body bugg and the gowear fit, both have pretty good reviews but both are very expensive.
    Several other heart rate monitors track calories burned...i'd go out, see what you want, then go online and do some research prior to buying. It'd be nice to be able to depend on sales-people, but unfortunately you can't always take someone's word for it.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I went to the local sporting goods store yesterday to get a heart rate moniter. I know nothing about these things and asked the sales guy to help me. I told him that I specifically want one to tell calories burned. He sold me a polar f3. IT DOES NOT SHOW CALORIES BURNED. UG! Now I am frustrated because the thing looks so darned complicated, and I know I have to get an upgraded one, that I am not sure I will ever learn how to use the blasted thing.

P6 shows cals burned, the less costly ones don't always. But I did see a Timex brand (on the link below that compares brands) that does show cals burned and is about $60.

Here's the Polar Web Site down below so you can view which ones do and which ones don't have that feature. I agree with the poster, perhaps take P3 back and return it for the one you really would prefer, it's your money and YOU'RE worth it!:heart:

. Reading up on the web might help you know exactly what you're needing before hitting the store. It's unfortunate the clerk led you astray. :( I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried posting to the group and asking which monitor they prefer, you'll get lots of responses I imagine and right from folks that use them everyday. :smile: :flowerforyou:

Actually here is one link that compares variies company models that do have features you are looking for:
    http://www.consumersearch.com/heart-rate-monitors

Polar Web Site for monitors:
    http://www.polarusa.com/us-en

Best of luck getting it all straightened out. Once you figure out how it works, you'll simply love it!!:smooched:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

P6 shows cals burned, the less costly ones don't always. But I did see a Timex brand (on the link below that compares brands) that does show cals burned and is about $60.

Here's the Polar Web Site down below so you can view which ones do and which ones don't have that feature. I agree with the poster, perhaps take P3 back and return it for the one you really would prefer, it's your money and YOU'RE worth it!:heart:

. Reading up on the web might help you know exactly what you're needing before hitting the store. It's unfortunate the clerk led you astray. :( I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried posting to the group and asking which monitor they prefer, you'll get lots of responses I imagine and right from folks that use them everyday. :smile: :flowerforyou:

Actually here is one link that compares variies company models that do have features you are looking for:
    http://www.consumersearch.com/heart-rate-monitors

Polar Web Site for monitors:
    http://www.polarusa.com/us-en

Best of luck getting it all straightened out. Once you figure out how it works, you'll simply love it!!:smooched:

Sorry, my brain is not doing well tonight, I'm sure you know I meant to type F3, 6 etc. Not P3 but you got the idea of what I was talking about!:blushing:
  • polyesterchesters
    polyesterchesters Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The store told me I could return for the upgraded model that tells calories burned (more money), so I am taking it back today. I was just so excited about having the darn thing!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    The store told me I could return for the upgraded model that tells calories burned (more money), so I am taking it back today. I was just so excited about having the darn thing!!!

Oh yea...............take it back. I have the F6 and LOVE love love it! I have an accumulation of past sessions and it inspires me to do more each time.

Look for the strap that is soft with the detachable coder if you can. I upgraded when my old strap wore out and it is so much more comfortable and WORTH the extra 10 bucks!

Let us know how it turned out
  • polyesterchesters
    polyesterchesters Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I got the F4. It has the comfy strap and was ten bucks more, and the instructions were a fraction of the ones for the F3! I can't wait to try it out in the morning. Report back then.

PS: I would never, never spit a sacred cookie :laugh:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I got the F4. It has the comfy strap and was ten bucks more, and the instructions were a fraction of the ones for the F3! I can't wait to try it out in the morning. Report back then.

PS: I would never, never spit a sacred cookie :laugh:

So glad to hear you went back and it went smooth to return it for the model you really wanted. Sounds like the poster was helpful in helping you pick on with a far more comfy strap as well. :)

That's what makes this group so helpful and work so well, we all add in bits to help each other. :)

So glad you got yourself a healthy present :drinker: :heart: