eating back exercise cals: yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise because I've manually set my goal to somewhere between my BMR AND TDEE. I'm not in a rush and work to eat close to my goal weight maintenance now instead of having to increase much when I get there.

For a better explanation

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • maryannmiclat
    maryannmiclat Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you're hungry then eat! Personally, I don't eat back my calories. I may eat 100-300 back on some days, but if I did each day I'd be eating close to a total of 3,000 calories a day and I don't want to do that. Also, what's worked for me is keeping at my normal daily intake and when I decide to have a cheat at the end of the week I don't feel guilty about it because I'm under like 5,000+ calories for the whole week so in a sense it's making up for it?
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    To me, it's not a matter of all or none, I personally need 100 cals off my daily diet to be OK. I just eat that back and no more. I do not trust completely the MFP's exercise calories so I eat less. Besides, if you really look into it, you could not probably need any more.
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating your exercise calories, but I still can't bring myself to do it lol :smile:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    That website is no longer relevant, just FYI.
  • LMick1986
    Options
    I read something recently that explained it for me. If you are at the baseline of 1200 calories a day, yes...eat them back. You don't want to ever net below 1200. That starves the muscles...which is counterproductive to the whole health journey. Of course you will lose weight either way...and obviously probably quicker if you aren't eating them back. But remember, it's not all about the weight loss. It's about doing it in a healthy way. You don't want to lose a ton of muscle in the process of losing weight.
    If you are in a higher calorie range, do not eat them back.....you don't get allotted 1800 calories, burning 200, then eating ultimately 2000 calories.
  • chigsy
    chigsy Posts: 19
    Options
    ive only ever done it once had about 60 cal into them dont think its a bad think every once in a while but dont have them all xx
  • MadelineTaylah
    Options
    As long as you do not go below 1200 calorie net (calories eaten - calories burnt through exercise) then I think it is okay. :)
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
  • bexxxster
    bexxxster Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i'll eat some back if i'm hungry.. but say if i've had a day out with the kids and we've been walking for hours plus a workout so I burn a thousand or more then no. No point eating so much i'll make myself sick lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to lose fat, then either eat 50% of them (if MFP is accounting for them) or account for them if your lifestyle calculator. If you want to lose fat and muscle, do not eat them back and aim for an aggressive weight loss like 1-2 lbs a week and just burn as many calories as you can. Just an observation, do you realize that most of the really fit people in the thread alone suggest properly fueling your body, which for women is 1700-2000 calories and mean it's 2500+. Personally, i model myself after those who are fit and athletic and it's gotten me down less than 12% body fat. Also, look at the below link.. It has good info in it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/729141-exercise-calories-to-eat-or-not-to-eat-results?hl=exercise+calories+psulemon&page=1#posts-10742097
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was always a no, don't eat them back before, but I found I was losing incredibly slowly for all the changes I had made and exercise that I was doing so I started eating back some over the last couple of weeks and now i am losing again! So I'd say if your hungry and getting plenty of exercise then eat back some :)
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    As long as you do not go below 1200 calorie net (calories eaten - calories burnt through exercise) then I think it is okay. :)

With the exercise I am doing I never seem to net more than 1000 so i have started eating back some of the exercise cals now :)
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Almost never but rarely if I'm hungry.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    If you have your MFP profile set up correctly (Right activity level etc) and a realistic loss set for your target, then definitely eat those cals back.
    That's a little misleading, though. If you set your activity level correctly to account for exercise, you shouldn't eat those calories back because they've already been accounted for. Logging your exercise would just be for recording purposes and shouldn't factor in.

This is incorrect. MFPdoes not account for your exercise calories *outside of normal daily activity*, hence why it *adds* the calories to your diary in the first place. Sure, you might lose weight faster if you don't eat them, but you're just setting yourself up to regain weight later on (like most people do) IMO.
    If you set your activity level higher to account for exercise, then yes, MFP DOES account for your exercise calories. If you then turn around and log your exercise and eat back those calories, you're eating them twice.
  • kbfref
    kbfref Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eat them back or not, if you're consistent and the weight is coming off then all is good.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Nay, for me atleast...but if you're still hungry, go for it.

^^ thumbs-up.png
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat them back. If you're not, leave 'em. I personally don't think it matters either way. I typically don't eat mine back, but if I'm hungry I'm all about it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat them back. If you're not, leave 'em. I personally don't think it matters either way. I typically don't eat mine back, but if I'm hungry I'm all about it.

It actually does matter. If you don't eat enough calories, your body will catabolize your lean muscle mass. Less muscle means you need to lose a lot more weight to have a tight body. It's either you fuel your body with calories or it will fuel itself when the amino acids from your muscles.