No Pain, No Gain

Options
I have been doing 30DS and decided to incorporate some strength training in the mix. I haven’t lifted weights since high school (around 20 years) so I did my research (youtube and blogs) before I started. Friday I did upper body and was sore which was expected. I walked Saturday and Sunday and that evening I did lower body (good mornings, dead lifts, and different variations of squats and lunges for 3 set of 8 reps with 20lbs on the bar). I have done lunges and squats before with no problem but the last couple of days my lower back has been extremely sore. Like hard to breathe pain. Is this normal? Should I play through the pain? Should I have done a longer/better warm-up/cool down? Is my form off?
Also, when I had the bar on my shoulders for good mornings it was very uncomfortable. Am I supposed to put the bar across my shoulders or kinda hover over with it still in my hands? Should I do this without weights on the bar? I figured 20lbs would be a good starting point.

Replies

• MzGoddezz
    MzGoddezz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Any fitness gurus out there that can help???
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If the pain you are feeling is a sharp pinching when you breathe in, you could have a misaligned rib. I'd ice it and see a doctor if it doesn't clear up it a day or two. Don't push yourself until the pain goes away, or you might actually injure yourself. As far as what caused it, it could have been an adjustment in breathing under a load. I've had this happen. Look up proper use of the Valsalva Maneuver.

Good mornings: The bar should be placed on top of the rear delts like a back squat. Place your hands on the bar with a thumbless grip, and pull your hands in close to you (comfortably). Push your elbows back and squeeze your shoulder blades together. This will create a shelf on which to place the bar.
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    In the army there is a saying of "Pain is weakness leaving the body" in my eyes, pain is your body telling you to slow down or stop.
  • MzGoddezz
    MzGoddezz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I think I'm going to take it easy for a couple of days. I'm actually feeling better now but I won't push it. I'm really disappointed in my minor setback.
    I was doing the good mornings all wrong. I had the bar more on my neck and I wasn't squeezing my shoulder blades in I was rounding them.
    Thanks again!!!