great site but...

Options
MFP is by far the best I have found for tracking macros and calories

the forums are good but......

no offense because I was once a beginner as well, but even the non chit chat forums are often dominated by the basics of can I drink pop to will I get bulky doing the elliptical. That is fine but if we respectfully suggest the search function, we get flamed and worse.

anyone using any site that has more focus on advanced fitness and fine tuning?

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    It's not the culture here, some boards hate thread duplication, this place is instant gratification. (Also, the search function isn't all that helpful, results count every reply in a thread.)

Is it lifting you're interested in? I'm aware of bodybuilding.com (which has its own culture).
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Is it lifting you're interested in? I'm aware of bodybuilding.com (which has its own culture).

not just lifting for lifting sake..more for total health and fitness related
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Dunno then. There are boards related to specific training approaches (Crossfit) or sports/tournaments (eg Masters swimming). Hope someone has something for you!
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I could have written the parent post. I started getting frustrated a while ago. I switched to the bodybuilding.com forums. I come here to track my calories and skim the boards. I'm almost always let down.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I could have written the parent post. I started getting frustrated a while ago. I switched to the bodybuilding.com forums. I come here to track my calories and skim the boards. I'm almost always let down.

thanks...you find good stuff on BB.com as someone aiming for a marathon also? I thought they were all about body Building for physique competitions and such
  • RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am a firm beleiver of "If you don't like it, don't subject yourself to it."

Each fitness site has a forum unique to it's audience. BB.com for instance does not interest me. Nor does bodybuilding itself. (But that is a different story nor do I want to start any arguements.) MFP forums seem to show peoples success and thirst for simple general knowledge and support.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I am a firm beleiver of "If you don't like it, don't subject yourself to it."

Each fitness site has a forum unique to it's audience. BB.com for instance does not interest me. Nor does bodybuilding itself. (But that is a different story nor do I want to start any arguements.) MFP forums seem to show peoples success and thirst for simple general knowledge and support.

well ya...but it looks like most of your posts are in the "would you date the person above you" kind of threads so , there ya go
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's simple, if you disagree with it then don't look at it and stop complaining.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sorry it took me 24 hours to get back to you! Sheesh, shows you how little I'm here :)

Honestly, if I needed help with marathon stuff I'd go to a running specific forum - I haven't really looked online for that kind of support. I will say that if you have a specific question about running and you post here on FitnessPal there are some GREAT people with GREAT advice. Specific questions seems to give great results. Unfortunately, I just hate browsing the posts here - so much repetitive BS. I actually enjoy browsing the bodybuilding.com forums.

Right now I am focusing on building more muscle and getting my diet perfected. But, there are many people on the site who have done BB competitions and marathons. You can go poke around without having to sign up. It's worth a try just to see if you like it!