Diet of Misery (rant)

I know it's common to feel anxious and want to see progress fast, which is why many people here go under their calorie goal by a few hundred cals and more, even though their daily goal is already set at a deficit.

But I really cringe every time I see someone doing this. Although it's understandable that you want to shed off weight sooner rather than later, cutting calories by this much can really make your diet very miserable.

Here's why: by reducing calories this much and going into a huge deficit, your metabolism will take a huge hit and drastically slow down. Now that your metabolism has slowed down, the amount of food you're eating is the new amount of food your body NEEDS in order to lose weight, whereas it could have been higher (and you would've seen the same results) if you didn't make such a drastic change. And even worse, when you weight loss stalls, you will have little room for adjustment unless you starve yourself.

Replies

• NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    I will admit that I do this from time to time; however, I tend to make up for on other days so that my weekly totals balance out. That way I can eat according to my hunger to some degree. Of course, my goal is 1640 so going under by 150-200 every now and then still doesn't put me into anything extreme, I don't think. Sometimes though, it's almost bedtime and I'm not hungry and I don't want to go eat just to eat - that's the habit I'm trying to break!
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    I will admit that I do this from time to time; however, I tend to make up for on other days so that my weekly totals balance out. That way I can eat according to my hunger to some degree. Of course, my goal is 1640 so going under by 150-200 every now and then still doesn't put me into anything extreme, I don't think. Sometimes though, it's almost bedtime and I'm not hungry and I don't want to go eat just to eat - that's the habit I'm trying to break!

Counting your calories on a weekly basis works. But I'm talking about people who do this consistently out of impatience.
  • ariesmom07
    ariesmom07 Posts: 57 Member
    I do it alot but not meaning to. Sometimes I go to bed with 1000 calories left after my walk which only burns around 300 calories. Idk how NOT to at this point I'm eating the best I can on a budget lol.