Am I wrong?

Sorry if this seems a little whiny or picky. But I've been debating this all day. I applied for a job recently, got a second interview today and a day of observing. I'm pretty sure they are calling to offer a job tomorrow, but here is where my issue starts.

The job is nothing I'd like. They were very vague on everything up until today, but to put it shortly, it's a job at a consulting firm where when you start you literally walk around to people's houses and random towns trying to convince them to sign up for this tv/internet package. The pay is..ehh, no better right now then I'm getting at my internship, but I am not at ALL comfortable walking around to random people's houses all day (2-8 at night).

I mean, I like to thing I'm strong for my size, but regardless I'm only 5'2" and MAYBE 138lbs now. And after my first day I'd be alone. Walking around dirt road towns. Knocking on doors. With no cars around. It literally SCARES me to take a job like that. I know it's a crap economy and I should take what I can get, but this seems so terrible for me, and possibly hazardous. I've just been wondering, will I be wrong to turn them down?

Replies

• TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    go with yur gut!
  • My gut is SCREAMING to run, especially after one guy offered illegal drugs and another answered in his boxers and proceeded to tell the guy I was shadowing that he should have me do it, because I was "so pretty it would convince anyone". Creepy..
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Sounds similar to a job I once had. They were very nebulous about everything, and they seemed kind of shady. I quit after a week. Personally, I think you should pass, especially if you are going to be alone. At least with the job I had there was a group of 3 or 4 people always together.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    The reward doesn't sound worth the risk.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    I would take it if I had no other choice, but this is you. If you don't want to take the job now that you know more about it then that is your choice. You don't have to take it if you don't want to.
  • I feel like in order to take a job it needs to have one of two qualities: be a job you like, or be a job that pays well. You mention the economy, and I agree that it's hard to turn anything away, but if the job doesn't speak to you and it's not that great of pay, I would personally not take it. I would also be scared to do a job like that, but then again selling anything isn't really my forte. I hope you figure out what to do and act based on what you feel is best for YOU. I'm here if you need to talk more on this. :)
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member
    Can you pack "heat"?....I would ask.
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    If your heart doesn't like the idea of it or simply says this isn't a good idea then don't do it.
  • I feel like in order to take a job it needs to have one of two qualities: be a job you like, or be a job that pays well. You mention the economy, and I agree that it's hard to turn anything away, but if the job doesn't speak to you and it's not that great of pay, I would personally not take it. I would also be scared to do a job like that, but then again selling anything isn't really my forte. I hope you figure out what to do and act based on what you feel is best for YOU. I'm here if you need to talk more on this. :)

Thank you! I've been conflicted all day. My mother freaked out and is terrified. The alone thing kills it.

And the thing with it is it's not my only option. I have my internship that pays to help with bills. It's terrible pay itself, but it's a flexible schedule and not potentially life threatening. Not worth it to be that scared for only $200 a week, $40 of which would be gas
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    That sounds more like this shady scam my twin sister and I almost fell for. I would tell you to RUN! Your safety is your priority.
  • Can you pack "heat"?....I would ask.

I don't think so unfortunetly, and if we could I've never even held a gun so it would take time to get all that
  • That sounds more like this shady scam my twin sister and I almost fell for. I would tell you to RUN! Your safety is your priority.
    They're a legit company, but it's sales. I hate sales. I was hoping it was office work, boy was I wrong!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Yep...that sounds to scary! Keep looking : )
  • buffykaz
    buffykaz Posts: 50 Member
    Don't do it. No job is worth risking you health, safety and sanity. Especially a job that you don't really like and doesn't pay well. You are better off putting your time end enrgy into finding another job that is more suited to you.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    If you won't be making anymore than your internship then just go ahead and keep looking. I don't think it is wrong at all to turn the job down. Just explain to them that you had no idea what the job would entail and you wish you would have been told up front that you'd be a door-to-door salesman. What can they do, yell at you? Yeah, that's about it. But in all honesty the should have been upfront about what you'd be doing.
  • Thanks all. I feel better about my decision. Besides, the way my mind thinks is it's not fair of me to take a job from people who would enjoy the job and be good at it, and find something more for me. I don't want to be miserable while someone else would be happy.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Definitely stick with your gut. Don't take something unsafe like that when you aren't getting anything more than you already get where you currently are. Definitely keep looking.
  • If you won't be making anymore than your internship then just go ahead and keep looking. I don't think it is wrong at all to turn the job down. Just explain to them that you had no idea what the job would entail and you wish you would have been told up front that you'd be a door-to-door salesman. What can they do, yell at you? Yeah, that's about it. But in all honesty the should have been upfront about what you'd be doing.

The owner was wicked nice, but not worth it! They are getting that exact answer tomorrow =]
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    My brother's friend had a job like that where he had to go door to door selling some sort of service. Apparently whoever decided where he was to be sent to walk around didn't like him very much and sent him to a neighborhood where he most definitely didn't fit in-- mind you he was dressed professionally and is rather clean cut-- and certainly wasn't safe. Needless to say, he didn't last two days because the risk wasn't worth the pay, and he is a pretty built dude-- plays lacrosse, etc.

I would say that unless you NEED a job right now, I would look for something else. Otherwise, carry some pepper spray or something.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Trust your instincts - they are always right