Any other Gluten Free / Celiac dieters?

I've known I am gluten intolerant for almost 2 years now, and I still find it hard some days, just to resist plain bread. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, on dieting gluten free, or anything I can do to cut the cravings?

Replies

• Just saw the post. I've been gluten free trying for about 2 months? or so now. It's mainly for migraine headache avoidance. So far so good with what I've been eating. When I think of bread now sometimes, I think of how much pain I felt. The craving then does go away. I've tried gluten free breads and they sorta are making me dislike bread. My diary is open not much to choose from but it's there. Much luck to you. What are you gluten intolerant for, if I may ask?
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    I don't have celiac sprue, but i do have mulitple intolerances, including wheat. When first diagnosed with the intolerances, I was strict for about 2 months and then completely lost interest and decided that the many troublesome physical symptoms where worth the pleasure of indulgence.

Now I'm also diabetic. Chronic inflammation is no longer an option and I've eliminated grains completely. Much more motivated this time around and don't miss the carby goodness for the most part.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    True wheat allergy - not gluten intolerant. I'm avoiding it to keep my rashes and migraines away.

I reduce my cravings by satisfying others like my chocolate one. I also tend to eat a lot of protein. That tends to reduce food cravings (or at least it did so for me).

Monica
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    I'm celiac and was diagnosed 18 mths ago. Since then I have never eaten bread and I no longer miss it. Ditto pasta. Occasionally I miss cake and cereal but I have better altenatives now. GF breads etc are awful. So I don't eat them. Eat rice, potatoes, veggies..... its amazing how MUCH you can eat when you are cutting out gluten products which are generally high calorie. I have rice noodles, crackers, salads etc. My diary is open, feel free to browse.
  • clew77
    clew77 Posts: 34
    Do any of you know any cheap websites where I can buy cheaper gluten free foods? ... I find it soooo expensive to shop in my local supermarkets for gluten free products.
    E.g.
    £3 for a box of cereal or a loaf of bread.
    I think its stupid to have to pay extra for something that is uncontrollable.
  • indeterminate
    indeterminate Posts: 63 Member
    Do any of you know any cheap websites where I can buy cheaper gluten free foods? ... I find it soooo expensive to shop in my local supermarkets for gluten free products.
    E.g.
    £3 for a box of cereal or a loaf of bread.
    I think its stupid to have to pay extra for something that is uncontrollable.

If you have been diagnosed as coeliac then you can have a large range of gluten free food prescribed by your GP. You still need to pay the prescription charges but you can get a pre-payment certificate for around £100 which lasts a year and will save you a small fortune.
  • jo_marnes
    Just don't buy it! I have made much nicer, cheaper and healthier alternatives. GF bread here is $7 and tastes like crap. So I eat other things.

I make a rice porridge which is soooooo cheap - just like rice pudding really. I make it in my slow cooker overnight. I make extra at dinner time and eat leftovers for lunch. Or salads, dips, veggies, fruits, tuna, yoghurts etc

Don't try and substitute like for like - just change what you eat. It doesn't take long xx
  • jo_marnes

If you have been diagnosed as coeliac then you can have a large range of gluten free food prescribed by your GP. You still need to pay the prescription charges but you can get a pre-payment certificate for around £100 which lasts a year and will save you a small fortune.

They don't do that here in Australia!
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    You may want to check out the Paleo and/or Primal groups as well. We avoid all grains, therefore we're gluten free. LOTS of great Paleo/Primal recipes!!

Paleo also avoids dairy and sometimes eggs. Both avoid grains and sugar. Just in case you weren't familiar.
  • I've been GF for about a year. I usually do OK with cravings, though occasionally the sight of a bagel will make me drool. The knowledge of how sick I'll get if I eat it usually tamps the cravings down pretty well - it's just not worth the pain.
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Hi, I have been GF for just over a year now. I must say that you need to be super diligent about reading labels because gluten is EVERYWHERE, even in things you wouldn't suspect. I have found that I don't even want about 90% of the time now that my body has adjusted and I feel so much better because of it! I am NOT celiac but am intollerant, which makes people around me doubtful as I don't have an "official" diagnosis, but I like the lack of belly bloating, headaches, skin rashes, extreme pain... Good luck to you!

ETA: I just re-read your post...I think that if you cut out ALL gluten sources not just the breads you'll do better getting rid of the cravings...this would be pasta (Corn pasta is a good sustitute!) most canned soups, and for that matter most processed, prepackaged foods. (Don't know if you use any of those or not). Also avoid barley, rye, graham, buckwheat, "Safe" grains include rice, corn, quinoa, amaranth, and a few others. You also have to be careful with oats, they are often packaged in the same facilities that produce wheat products and depending on your level of tolerance they can be a problem. You can get certified GF oats I have heard.

This can make learning to eat again difficult...I am fortunate that I grew up with a dad who worked the night shift when I was little so for me there is no food that is off limits for breakfast as I watched him eating dinner as I was eating breakfast, so anything from salad to dinner leftovers from the day before is game! (I do prefer to make an omelet loaded with veggies though or have yogurt)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    When you're eating GF breads, pasta, ect. the hardest thing to do, especially when you've eaten wheat products in the past is get past the taste. One of the things I was told was to NEVER compare it to wheat products, it will never stand up to it. I learned to be a little more objective with my breads (I can't tell the difference between rice pasta and wheat pasta, other than it takes a little longer to cook.) I take it at face value and tried several different brands til I found what I like (I am hoping next year to try to make my own) I prefer Udi's bread to most of the other brands, it's not too bad and holds up half way decent if you toast it.

The best I can recommend is keep an open mind, try different brands, and always read labels.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Add me if you like! My diary is also open to anyone. Ive been GF 10 years. Its not easy, it took me about 2-3 solid years just to re-train my brain to see bread, pasta, desserts, creamy soups, etc as the enemy. As far as GF replacement starches go, they are usually very expensive- on your calorie intake and on your wallet. SO, I just opt for more veggies, more protein, and do a lot of things with sweet potatoes or brown rice.
    Other than that, its about being prepared and letting other people in on it (now my friends will ASK me what Im getting at a restaurant to see if they can guess if it has Gluten...how the tables turn!).
    Sidenote: enjoy this video LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iPOXLJFlkMc

Good luck getting your gluten free menu together! Youll start feeling better in no time!!
    -Alicia
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Discussion group here that my be helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/129-gluten-free
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    bump
  • MaggieSporleder
    From what I've read, and learned about it, when I had an appendectomy, about three years ago, it triggered the gluten intolerance. It was something I was carrying, I guess is the best way to put it, and it needed the trauma to my digestive system to trigger it.
  • MaggieSporleder
    This could help me maybe. I have noticed when I'm trying to be vegetarian for the day, that my cravings are so much worse. Maybe protein is the answer.
  • MaggieSporleder
    Just saw the post. I've been gluten free trying for about 2 months? or so now. It's mainly for migraine headache avoidance. So far so good with what I've been eating. When I think of bread now sometimes, I think of how much pain I felt. The craving then does go away. I've tried gluten free breads and they sorta are making me dislike bread. My diary is open not much to choose from but it's there. Much luck to you. What are you gluten intolerant for, if I may ask?

From what I've read, and learned about it, when I had an appendectomy, about three years ago, it triggered the gluten intolerance. It was something I was carrying, I guess is the best way to put it, and it needed the trauma to my digestive system to trigger it.
  • MaggieSporleder
    True wheat allergy - not gluten intolerant. I'm avoiding it to keep my rashes and migraines away.

I reduce my cravings by satisfying others like my chocolate one. I also tend to eat a lot of protein. That tends to reduce food cravings (or at least it did so for me).

Monica

This could help me maybe. I have noticed when I'm trying to be vegetarian for the day, that my cravings are so much worse. Maybe protein is the answer.
  • MaggieSporleder
    You may want to check out the Paleo and/or Primal groups as well. We avoid all grains, therefore we're gluten free. LOTS of great Paleo/Primal recipes!!

Paleo also avoids dairy and sometimes eggs. Both avoid grains and sugar. Just in case you weren't familiar.

I've just recently discovered Paleo. I will be looking into them.