Old Cookbooks Nutritional Facts VS Sparkspeople Recipe Build

Options
kiffypooh
kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
Hello All,
So I went to Sparkspeople's recipe builder to prepare for dinner tomorrow night. I entered everything and got my nutritional facts and was ready to go. Well, I came on here to enter into my log and happened to search for the meal (an OLD Weight Watcher recipe from at least 10 years ago if not 12-15) and to my surprise someone had added it (just last month). The Cals, Fat and Fiber matched what I have at the bottom of my recipe (I type my favorite into a word documents and only do the 3 things required for WW at the bottom) but now that leaves me wondering...how much have our foods changed in the past 10 years? There's a difference of 139 calories and it would not be in my favor. I think things have changed so much in how companies make foods, process, etc , but do nutritional facts in recipes really go out of date? I'm going to add my 139 calories and assume it's right, but just wanted to see other people's thoughts on this topic. What has our world come to :noway:

Replies

• 4healys
    Options
    Calorie counts change all the time. For example, I bought 2 packs of tortilla shells on the same day off of the same shelf. They were both low carb (same brand) and looked IDENTICAL. I bought them because they were only 60 cal per shell. So I'm going along eating them and logging them in and minding my own business when one day the back of one of the packages catches my eye. One package had them listed at 60 cals per shell and the other at 100!!! I had been logging the 60 and eating the 100. I was quite irritated to say the least. Anyway, you just have to be careful and keep your eyes open. When mfg's change ingredients or anything about the product, they have to update the cals and more often than not it will change from time to time. I, too, have wondered about the WW recipes though. I LOVE the WW taco soup and all of the different variations of the recipes I find of it have it listed as around 100 cal per cup. No way! I added it all up myself and it's between 226 and 245 (depending on meat). So basically, yes, things are forever changing. Keep paying attention though and you should be fine.

L
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    That is a scary story! That could add up so quickly!!! I knew the recipe wouldn't be the original nutritional facts because I had entered into the WW recipe builder last year some time and it had gone up 5 or 10 points. I guess when I saw that someone else had entered in here I thought for a second, "I could get away with less calories" but I would only be cheating myself!