Static lunges injuring foot bones-in pain-help!!

Options
i am doing static lunges in a jillian michaels video...and my toes and front half of my feet are in so much pain I don't know what to do...it is sharp shooting pains.

Does anyone know if this is normal from doing lunges and if not, how to correct it? I know lunges and the like are what helo get great results for legs, but if it is going to be at the expense of my toes and feet and them being in pain like this, idk if i can handle it! :(

anyone have any ideas?

BTW, I don't let my knee go over my toes.

It is the foot that is back with my toes planted on the floor and heel in the air when dipping down for the lunge that is hurting my toes/foot.

Replies

• Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It also is mainly in my right foot, and a bone on top of my foot has the shooting pains.
  • aikidokaratefan
    aikidokaratefan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Janelle,

I've been a practicing chiropractor for 23 years. No, it's not normal. You need to see someone to evaluate you in person.I've had foot pain, and have seen many other people with foot problems, too. You should stop doing lunges until the problem is addressed. You could do squats with only your body weight, keeping your feet flat on the ground.

There are lots of causes of foot pain such as yours. Examples are joint misalignment and plantar fasciitis. You should see your general practitioner and let them examine you. They might want x-rays if they suspect a fracture. This needs to be ruled out first. You don't want things done to your foot if there is a fracture, other than treat the fracture, first.

If x-rays are negative, there are a couple of treatment options that come to mind. One is getting your foot adjusted by a certified practitioner. You can find one here: http://www.kevinhearon.com/CEA/extremities.html

The other thing you can do is have deep tissue work that loosens up adhesions (scar tissue and "tight" areas), and show you safe exercises. One of the techniques that does this is Graston. You can find a provider here: http://www.grastontechnique.com/.

I hope that helps.

Aikidokaratefan
  • Janelle173
    Options
    Hi Janelle,

I've been a practicing chiropractor for 23 years. No, it's not normal. You need to see someone to evaluate you in person.I've had foot pain, and have seen many other people with foot problems, too. You should stop doing lunges until the problem is addressed. You could do squats with only your body weight, keeping your feet flat on the ground.

There are lots of causes of foot pain such as yours. Examples are joint misalignment and plantar fasciitis. You should see your general practitioner and let them examine you. They might want x-rays if they suspect a fracture. This needs to be ruled out first. You don't want things done to your foot if there is a fracture, other than treat the fracture, first.

If x-rays are negative, there are a couple of treatment options that come to mind. One is getting your foot adjusted by a certified practitioner. You can find one here: http://www.kevinhearon.com/CEA/extremities.html

The other thing you can do is have deep tissue work that loosens up adhesions (scar tissue and "tight" areas), and show you safe exercises. One of the techniques that does this is Graston. You can find a provider here: http://www.grastontechnique.com/.

I hope that helps.

Aikidokaratefan

Thank you very much for your very informative response! :)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my feet (toe joints), and lunges do that kind of thing to me (but could be anything - just saying, no not normal). Btw I didn't even know I had it until I was checked for something else (showed up on bone scan, no pain until later).
  • aikidokaratefan
    aikidokaratefan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say, that if you see someone who prescribes anti-inflammatories and/or pain-killers, it will give you relief, but won't fix anything if there is a structural cause. Definitely don't jump to get injections without doing un-invasive things first.
  • Janelle173
    Options
    Thank you. My concern is that pregnancy changed my feet somehow. Before I was pregnant, I was able to wear high heels and what not, and now high heels hurt the front of my feet, in the bones, and now this with the lunges and it is mainly my right foot. i have always "cracked" or "popped" my toes ever since i was a kid, and they hardly pop anymore, which i find weird.

I feel like my whole skeleton changed from my pregnancy...like i have arthritis all over my body or something. i doubt that is possible...but it is how i feel. lol
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Shooting pain from lunges = x-ray.

Among the things you might have other than the fracture mentioned above are extra bones - this will not show up until you do an injury like this and get x-rays.
  • LMick1986
    Options
    I have foot problems too. I found that mine was from impact many years ago (and it sounds like you may have the same thing). The bones don't grow straight anymore. So this pain in pretty normal for me. Do you wear shoes when you are doing the video? I didn't at first....noticed I had a lot of pain. It's a lot less when I wear the shoes. AND I think you should definitely get it looked at! I'd stop the lunges until then. Do squats instead.
  • Janelle173
    Options
    Shooting pain from lunges = x-ray.

Among the things you might have other than the fracture mentioned above are extra bones - this will not show up until you do an injury like this and get x-rays.

AH! That would be no good. My mom has extra bones in her feet...they are causing her a lot of issues now. :/
  • Janelle173
    Options
    I have foot problems too. I found that mine was from impact many years ago (and it sounds like you may have the same thing). The bones don't grow straight anymore. So this pain in pretty normal for me. Do you wear shoes when you are doing the video? I didn't at first....noticed I had a lot of pain. It's a lot less when I wear the shoes. AND I think you should definitely get it looked at! I'd stop the lunges until then. Do squats instead.

Thank you for your response. i do wear shoes even though I have been tempted every single time to try it with out. haha.

I do need to get it looked at, however my health care coverage just dropped me oct 31. :/ So, I will have to wait until like January so i can enroll in insurance through my school... if I can wait that long...I am hoping it will just go away...but i doubt it will. I will do your suggestion of squats instead.

I also saw a modified lunge where the foot is angled to the side instead of putting pressure n the toes.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    see a doc.. orthapedic i think