Running on consecutive days...

Options
Hi,
I have been running for a few months, and have managed to get up to being able to run 25 mins straight (i didnt follow the C25k programme, just bumbled along on me own)

Anyhoo, I always aim to run 3 days a week with a rest day in between, but it NEVER works out like that, at most i have been getting 2 runs in a week, usually on a tuesday and thursday or something, but more often than not i end up doing one measly run - not because im lazy but because there is always something else i need to do.

My question is, that given the fact that i need to squeeze a run in where i can, would it be a bad idea to go for a run 2 days, or even 3 days in a row?

This week is a prime example, ran yesterday, have a perfect 1hr window after work today to run, and the only other day when I am likely to be able to run this week is thursday- 3 runs, but 3 days in a row :-S

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    If you're not in pain, keep going. When your body feels like it needs a break, it will tell you.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i try to go every day.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I did that when I started running a year ago and I wasn't getting anywhere. I couldn't build up endurance or speed because my body had no rest. Maybe you are better off with 2 runs this week, one rest day between them.
    Maybe it is ok for you to run 3 days in a row, but please listen to your body. It will tell you what's best :flowerforyou:
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have ran everyday for the last 66 days. I run 3-5 miles a day. So far so good.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    At C25k distances, yeah you can run every day. Just try to get in one rest day for the week if you feel like you need it.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    At C25k distances, yeah you can run every day. Just try to get in one rest day for the week if you feel like you need it.

This.

I don't think you should do it "every" day. You will get over-use injuries that way....but at those distances...it's not much of a problem because you do alot of walking in that program. I don't run everyday, but I run between 25-30 miles a week, and that will be ramped up as Im training for a marathon in May.
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I will give it a shot this evening and see how I go:drinker:
    When i get up to being able to manage awesome long runs like some of you pros I will make sure i have a rest day in between :happy: