Your Progress in 5k timing

Options
2»

Replies

• sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Given the mass opinion,I guess i will start running longer distance for now and then after i lose some more weight and reach an intermediate stage,i would include interval training too

thank you everyone!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree,
    longer runs wont make your short runs faster, it will improve your stamina but you need to work out your heart and lungs more, simplythebaz has it right, do interval training, that's how you get faster, that's how you work out your heart and lungs in manageable doses.

No matter how strongly you disagree, you are dead wrong. This has been proven time and time again.

I completely agree with you, but I think to the average and especially the beginner runner, hearing "run 45-50 miles a week" is going to be intimidating as hell.

If you want to win, to be a real competitor... that's what it takes. If you just want to complete a race and enjoy the health benefits and shave a little bit off your time, it's not necessary.
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree,
    longer runs wont make your short runs faster, it will improve your stamina but you need to work out your heart and lungs more, simplythebaz has it right, do interval training, that's how you get faster, that's how you work out your heart and lungs in manageable doses.

running longer distances definitely improve your speed
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree,

No matter how strongly you disagree, you are dead wrong. This has been proven time and time again.

This is something I've learned this year (thanks in part to some helpful MFP friends). I used to believe that I had to push myself harder in order to get faster, but I've discovered that the opposite is true. When I slowed down all of my runs and seriously increased the distance (slowly and carefully) I got faster more quickly than when I was pushing myself on every run. Now, I'm faster than I've ever been and I rarely do any kind of speed work.

To the OP, I started back running almost 3 years ago. I had done 25 minutes for a 5K in 2006 and then injured myself and not run much since. When I started back in 2010, I could barely manage 5 MPH. Because I'd been there before, though, I was able to get over 6 MPH in just a couple of months. Maybe half a year or so and I was hitting that 25 minute mark again. With another 2 years of running fast and pushing myself as hard as I could, I was barely improving at all. Then, in June, I started a marathon training program that instructed me to run most of my miles at an easy (conversational) pace, and increase total miles every week. When I started adding faster runs back into my schedule, I discovered that I was faster than ever, even though I hadn't been doing any speed work or intervals at all, but only easy runs. I started setting new PRs without even trying. Two weeks ago I set a new 5K PR of 23 minutes. When I first started the easy running, my easy pace was close to 5.5 MPH. Now it's closer to 6.7 MPH after 5 months or so.

If you really want to become a faster runner, slow all of your runs down to a pace that you can carry on a conversation, and gradually increase your total miles until you're running at least 40 miles per week. Don't do any hard runs until you've been doing this for about 4 months. If you have a heart rate monitor, I think 60-70% of max heart rate is a good target. If not, just watch your breathing. Google aerobic base building and Lydiard. Not only will this improve your aerobic fitness faster than pushing yourself every time, it will also make running more enjoyable and reduce your risk of injury.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will have a lot to do with being able to run faster. The general rule of thumb is that for every pound lost you can run 2 seconds per mile faster. So a 30 lb weight loss will speed you up by around a minute. By the time you meet your weight loss goal you should be two or three minutes faster, maybe more with the training you will have done.
  • RyanSolomon
    Options
    Ok, that’s very interesting, I was under the impression that myth was debunked?
    From my own experience the opposite is true, I started "slow" longer distance (LSD) and only once I began regular interval training I’m able to maintain a faster pace for longer, I guess my muscles are strong enough it’s the elevated heart rate and breathing that would slow me down so the fitter my heart and lungs got the further I could run at an increased pace, a faster short run fatigues me far more than a LSD so why spend my time training LSD when I can do a fast run and get on to weight training, soccer, swimming and so on, I definitely see the value in it so I do 1 long in every 4 or so...
    We can all agree though as a bang for buck cardio workout intervals or a short fast run is still the preference
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    We can all agree though as a bang for buck cardio workout intervals or a short fast run is still the preference
    No. Building aerobic capacity requires longer times running at an aerobic pace, mostly easy, some harder. Fast intervals stress a different system and short runs do not place enough stress on the aerobic system to develop it fully.

Training for speed has its place but that is only around 15 to 20 percent of training. Aerobic "easy paced" running fills the rest.

For a fuller explanation see Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree,

I think a few other runners in the know might have addressed this, but just in case, this is absolutley false. Go check out how many miles per week elite 5ker's run. You might be suprised.

Hint - Building aerobic base is the most important thing you can do to improve your running times. You do that by running lots of easy miles. Trying to run race pace all the time is counter productive and will just get you hurt.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    No. Building aerobic capacity requires longer times running at an aerobic pace, mostly easy, some harder. Fast intervals stress a different system and short runs do not place enough stress on the aerobic system to develop it fully.

Training for speed has its place but that is only around 15 to 20 percent of training. Aerobic "easy paced" running fills the rest.

For a fuller explanation see Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf
    List to scott; it's true. Seems counterintuitive, but it's really not a even matter of debate. Increasing your weekly mileage is the most important step to advance your speed, whether you are a beginner or an Olympic hopeful. Above link is SUPER helpful to understanding the process; it's a long article, but well worth your time if you are serious about improving your running.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Ok, that’s very interesting, I was under the impression that myth was debunked?
    It was never a myth. It's the bases of all distance running training from about 800m on up. Lydiard developed the principles and they have been honed by many a distance coach of the last 50+ years. Jack Daniels book "Daniels Running Formula", one of the most popular running books in print and the Bible for many running coaches, builds on Lydiard principles that were developed through trial and error backs it up with science and anecdotes.
    From my own experience the opposite is true, I started "slow" longer distance (LSD) and only once I began regular interval training I’m able to maintain a faster pace for longer, I guess my muscles are strong enough it’s the elevated heart rate and breathing that would slow me down so the fitter my heart and lungs got the further I could run at an increased pace, a faster short run fatigues me far more than a LSD so why spend my time training LSD when I can do a fast run and get on to weight training, soccer, swimming and so on, I definitely see the value in it so I do 1 long in every 4 or so...
    Once you have begun to develop aerobic fitness, you won't feel the same type of fatigue from an LSD that you would from a shorter, faster run. That's by design. The LSD is working other systems, it's to develop your aerobic fitness and to recruit fast twitch fibers to take over for slow twitch fibers when they become fatigued. It's not to work on LT or anaerobic, so you certainly shouldn't be huffing and puffing and out of breath at the end of an LSD. If you are, then you ran it too fast. That's why it's difficult for some people to fathom how they can get a benefit from running for 90 minutes and not feeling like you have done any work. You have. And since every race distance from probably the 800m on up have some component that is aerobic, that is an important system to develop.

Granted, my perspective comes strictly from that of someone who wants to be the best, fastest runner I can be. If someone's goal is to build a well rounded body, or to get fit to play team sports, then training like a runner isn't going to be the best route to take. If you want to perform at your absolute best and continue to get faster over time, then training like a runner is the way to go.