heart rate importance?

Options
So, I don't have work out equipment at my house and didn't feel like doing that Tony Horton DVD I have. So, I found a book (big fat giant enormous dictionary that's about 8" thick) and stepped up and down on it for an hour while watching a movie. Funny -- "stepping up and down on a book" isn't in the exercise list anywhere, but I found an equivalent I think. It told me it was about 600 calories burned. But I have to wonder if this doesn't count as very productive exercise if my heart rate doesn't get over a certain point. I don't think mine topped 120 or 130 but my legs feel warm and tingly. Probably worth noting that my normal heartrate is usually around 80 (it's always been a bit high like that since I was younger) So, maybe I was only doing strength training in my high-tech book stepping? Dunno. I don't know much about heart rates. Help?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So, I don't have work out equipment at my house and didn't feel like doing that Tony Horton DVD I have. So, I found a book (big fat giant enormous dictionary that's about 8" thick) and stepped up and down on it for an hour while watching a movie. Funny -- "stepping up and down on a book" isn't in the exercise list anywhere, but I found an equivalent I think. It told me it was about 600 calories burned. But I have to wonder if this doesn't count as very productive exercise if my heart rate doesn't get over a certain point. I don't think mine topped 120 or 130 but my legs feel warm and tingly. Probably worth noting that my normal heartrate is usually around 80 (it's always been a bit high like that since I was younger) So, maybe I was only doing strength training in my high-tech book stepping? Dunno. I don't know much about heart rates. Help?

A rough estimate of your effort would be that you were exercising at about 40%-50% of your HR reserve, which is considered a "minimum" training threshold. So, you were doing a minimal amount of conditioning and, by doing it an hour, burning some calories (although likely not 600--probably more like 350-400--but that's fine).

It's a creative way to include some activity.
  • Scarborough
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I dont' know what a Heart Rate reserve is. Are you saying that I was 40-50% of the way to a suggested target heart rate for my age?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The HR reserve method is a more accurate way to determine a target heart rate.

To calculate:

1. Determine or estimate maximum heart rate. (HR max)

2. Subtract resting heart rate (HR rest) from HR max---this number is called the HR reserve.

3. Multiply HR reserve by the desired workout intensity (e.g. 50%, 60%, 70%, whatever).

4. Add your HR rest to that number--that's your target HR for that intensity.

Example:

Estimate HR max, using the 220-age formula (220-37 = 183). 183 is the HR max

Determine resting heart rate (you mentioned 80) 80 is your HR rest.

Subtract HR rest from HR max: (187-80 =107) 107 is the HR reserve.

To determine a 60% training heart rate, multiply HR reserve (107) by 60%: 107 * .6 = 64

Add that result to HR rest: 64+80 = 134 -- 134 is the estimated target heart rate for a 60% effort.

To determine target HR for a 70% effort, multiply 107 * .7 (75) and add HR rest --80+75 = 155
  • Scarborough
    Options
    Wow, thank you for the detailed explanation.