Not All Calories Are The Same, New Research Finds

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Peter Attia wrote a great blog post on that study. Here's a little of what he had to say:

"A few things stand out from these results:

1. The group consuming a very low carbohydrate diet had a higher REE and TEE than the low GI group, which had a higher REE and TEE than the low fat group. In other words, the fewer carbohydrates in the diet, the higher the resting and overall expenditure. This is actually the sine qua non of the alternative hypothesis: something beyond the actual number of calories is playing a role in how the body expends energy.

2. As expected, given that each subject was starting from a weight-reduced state, the REE was lower for each group, relative to their baseline. REE is highly (though clearly not entirely) dependent on body mass.

3. There is enormous variation between subjects by diet type. For example, at least one subject saw a dramatic increase in TEE on the low GI diet versus the other two, while another saw the greatest TEE on the low fat diet. This speaks to a theme I iterate on this blog: be willing to self-experiment until you find what works for you. "

http://eatingacademy.com/books-and-articles/good-science-bad-interpretation
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

High protein diets have always been shown to be your best route because it does have a higher TEF. That said, why is "eat less, move more" bro science? Isn't that what every single person who loses weight does regardless of macronutriant ratios?

That's what I thought. But there are threads going around on MFP where people begin arguing about "eat more and you will lose weight" vs "it's just cals in vs cals out", then there's the less sodium, more protein, etc, etc. I think I've read so many different takes on how weight loss should happen on this site it's incredible.

They all boil down to a caloric deficit
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Meh.

Just read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/health/nutrition/q-and-a-are-high-protein-low-carb-diets-effective.html?_r=0

I could explain it myself but frankly, I just can't be arsed right now.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I guess this flies in the face of the people who insist that weight loss is simply a matter of calories in/calories out alone. For example Lyle McDonald - someone linked his discussion here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/715411-you-are-not-different. Also this might be a bit upsetting to those who swear by ketogenic diets on the long-term.

To be fair, I'm so sick and tired of this back and forth bro science about "eat less, exercise more" vs "you need to do 20/30/40 bla bla bla" ratios. It was nice that someone here posted an actual empirical study which albeit small, sheds a little light on the subject.

The law of thermodynamics is broscience?
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options

That's what I thought. But there are threads going around on MFP where people begin arguing about "eat more and you will lose weight" vs "it's just cals in vs cals out", then there's the less sodium, more protein, etc, etc. I think I've read so many different takes on how weight loss should happen on this site it's incredible.

[/quote]

You know, that is what I had initially thought, but when you sit down and read a lot of the stuff that is posted here, one gets the impression that's not necessarily true. Look, I'm not one to argue here (and I'm not trying to), I personally have no clue, and my field is not organic chemistry or any biological field for that matter. I'm just saying it's nice to read an empirical study that's all. People on this site like to throw information around that seems to be based on perhaps personal experience and pass it off as general fact.
  • Toumani
    Options

No I'm not saying that! Sheesh,
    I just wanted to say there seem to be so many potentially contradictory arguments towards weight loss in these forums, often based on personal experience alone. I was just thanksing OP for posting a study.

I hope this is OK with everybody.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

High protein diets have always been shown to be your best route because it does have a higher TEF. That said, why is "eat less, move more" bro science? Isn't that what every single person who loses weight does regardless of macronutriant ratios?

This is what I was getting at. Regardless of how you spread out your macros, its a calorie deficit that makes you lose weight. High protein is best, but I can still lose (perhaps a tad bit slower) eating all carbs if I so wished.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Is there a link to the study somewhere?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

No I'm not saying that! Sheesh,
    I just wanted to say there seem to be so many potentially contradictory arguments towards weight loss in these forums, often based on personal experience alone. I was just thanksing OP for posting a study.

I hope this is OK with everybody.

request_denied.jpg
  • Toumani
    Options

This is what I was getting at. Regardless of how you spread out your macros, its a calorie deficit that makes you lose weight. High protein is best, but I can still lose (perhaps a tad bit slower) eating all carbs if I so wished.

Ok, so let me get this straight - what you're saying is: at the end of the day it still boils down to calories in vs calories out, right?
    This is what I initially thought. ...

If that is the case, when people complain they are not losing weight (at all), why then do people start recommending different macros for weight loss? Can't they lose weight if they simply reduce caloric intake (in general)? That is what you're saying, it may be slower, but it should work.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22735432/

May 2012 AARR where Alan goes deep into this one.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Ok, so let me get this straight - what you're saying is: at the end of the day it still boils down to calories in vs calories out, right?
    This is what I initially thought. ...

If that is the case, when people complain they are not losing weight (at all), why then do people start recommending different macros for weight loss? Can't they lose weight if they simply reduce caloric intake (in general)? That is what you're saying, it may be slower, but it should work.

Different macros have different thermic effects which, when manipulated to a rather large amount, can impact energy output. Protein is better preservative of LBM and muscle is more metabolically active than fat. Dietary fat can effect hormones. These are all reasons (and there are others) why people who know what they're doing, will often recommend macro changes in addition to total energy changes.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this
  • becca14u2nv
    becca14u2nv Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Interesting...Saving to read later.
  • sparkyval
    Options
    Thank you for this interesting article. I would welcome any more hard studies you have at hand. The experience I have so far is that it is not calories in calories out for me. I have operated on a deficit of close to 1500 calories since April and I began dieting on March 2. I have lost 57 pounds thus far however this loss has not paralleled my caloric efforts. That is to say, the loss should be much higher with that consistent amount of deficit.
    I use the BodyMedia Fit Band and log everything meticulously though the medical community will point to "operator error" as the reason why my poundage losses don't mirror my calorie deficits. In the last couple of months I have tried many suggestions including not eating below BMR etc...and it has only resulted in even slower loss.

I am constantly researching to hopefully discover why I am not losing weight in tandem with my calorie deficit and I found this study quite helpful.

Thank you so much!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    That is how I lost all my weight!! I have lived it...and I am proof that is worked for me!!
  • Toumani
    Options

Different macros have different thermic effects which, when manipulated to a rather large amount, can impact energy output. Protein is better preservative of LBM and muscle is more metabolically active than fat. Dietary fat can effect hormones. These are all reasons (and there are others) why people who know what they're doing, will often recommend macro changes in addition to total energy changes.

Ok, I understand what you are saying.
    So do you feel one pay attention to macros in addition to caloric deficit in order to lose weight?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22735432/

May 2012 AARR where Alan goes deep into this one.

Thank you very much. I'll be subscribing to AARR tomorrow :smile:
  • Rozieq84
    Options
    Isn't it just common sense by now to eat things that are unprocessed and nutritious? Obviously we all enjoy those things that are not in those categories, so limit them, but enjoy them when you like but in moderation. Eat mostly things you can pronounce and know directly where it comes from (not from chemical byproducts and preservatives), and then supplement that with a little bit of the stuff that makes your tongue tingle or salivate and your mouth smile. :)