I dont get it?

Options
So there's water weight, and when we sweat a lot we're getting rid of all that water? ....is it pointless to drink a whole glass of water after you work out?

Replies

• FBSKTR
    Options
    NO, cause when you drink water, your cleaning out toxins, refreshing water in your system !!! keep drink'in
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If you are needing to drop some weight, you want it to be body fat. Losing water weight does not "count" towards weight loss, because when you lose water weight you will gain it back when you drink water. Real weight loss is from a decrease in body fat, not water. (And you can also lose muscle mass/weight if you don't get enough daily calories, which you definitely do NOT want to have happen.)

So, feel free to drink plenty of water after exercising. Because a weight loss due to losing water weight is not a true weight loss.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    right, to add to what deedee said, the body uses water in almost all of its essential processes, when you work out, the way the body lowers internal body temperature and keeps you from overheating is by sweating. The problem with this is sweating takes water away from other vital systemic functions like creation of glycogen (energy for your muscles), blood volume, cellular respiration ...etc.

When you sweat out water you need to replace it. During heavy activity or on hot days you should be drinking 7 to 10 ounces of water for every 10 to 20 minutes of activity, and you should drink about 8 to 10 oz of water before any long endurance cardio activity you do (60 minutes or more generally).

The goal is to reduce body fat %, increase muscle density and/or mass, increase bone density, and to increase your cardiopulmonary efficiency, water weight isn't something that should be factored in as a goal of weight loss as it's temporary, and really doesn't effect your overall health.
  • beachcomber
    Options
    Water is essential just like all everyone said above. Keep that water handy during exercise and drink it even if you are not thirsty. You must keep hydrated.
    Another thing I never do is weigh myself after exercise. It can be a false number because it can be water that you are losing and body fat is what you want to decrease.
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Another thing I never do is weigh myself after exercise. It can be a false number because it can be water that you are losing and body fat is what you want to decrease.
    Boy is that the truth. Nothing can be more depressing than weighing yourself AFTER exercising and getting a low number, then finishing up your day with meals and rehydrating, only to weigh MORE in the morning than you'd weighed after exercising. (Which happens because, as noted about in other posts, losing water weight is just a temporary loss.)
  • kdabis
    kdabis Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hmm, i see now. Thanks so much everyone! :) I was just curious cuz i drink a lot of water every time i finish working out. Mahalo!!
  • rgordon60
    rgordon60 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is very important for you to replenish the water you lost during your workout. Please go online to research how water will help you when exercising and dieting. it is essential to your overall good health!