Birth control vs. weight loss

Options
Hey guys!

I posted a topic on here about a month ago about how I was working out and it happened to be the fact that I wasn't eating enough. It was less than 1500 cals daily . I started the GNC lean shake diet (to increase my cal uprake but it also serves as an excellent meal replacement, espesh with so many smoothie recepies) only 5 days ago so I'm hoping results start to show by next week.

With that said, I still think a part of my problem with not being able to loose some weight has to do with birth control. I won't go off of it because it really helps with cramps + of the like but I believe a part of it has to deal with my weight gain. I understand BC always thinks you're pregnant & I'm thinking the pill holds into the water weight, therefore, it makes it harder to shed some pounds.

I'm going to my doctor next week to talk to him about switching over to something else. Currently on Yaz (I've never had a problem / bad symptoms with it like other women have..everything is absolutely great with it)

Can anyone else relate?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I'm not on BC anymore (hubby had the big V) but when I went off of it it seemed I dropped an instant 5 pounds that I could never get rid of. I do believe it holds on to water weight because of the estrogen. Maybe if you went on the mini pill it might help. I have heard people complain about Yaz causing increased appetite.
  • danakandic
    Options
    I'm not on BC anymore (hubby had the big V) but when I went off of it it seemed I dropped an instant 5 pounds that I could never get rid of. I do believe it holds on to water weight because of the estrogen. Maybe if you went on the mini pill it might help. I have heard people complain about Yaz causing increased appetite.

Thanks for this!! Wil def bring it up at my next doctors visit. I must say that I've been really trying to cut back with food, a major reason why I started the shake diet. -- maybe an increased appetite from the yaz has to do with it too.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I'm on Yaz and found it great - I changed over from the mirena (progesterone IUD). The mirena did cause weight gain and bloat with me. Yaz definitely hasn't. No appetite change, no bloating, nothing. I love love love it. Have had no problem losing weight on Yaz and I am considered perimenopausal/menopausal and therefore more likely to be gaining in the midrift area if anything but instead it's dropping off.
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think every woman's body reacts differently to that overload of hormones. What works for you, can be bad for someone else, and vice versa. I've personally have had about 5 different brands of BC pill, some causing me migraine, bloating, ... Try to find that one that makes you feel ok.