Transformation tips: Great read

I got this from a blog I recently started reading: http://patspersonaltraining.blogspot.com/?m=1

The tips seem pretty good so I wanted to share & hopefully some people will find this helpful.

It makes so much sense & explains why I feel like my progress is kind of stalling, I'm super guilty of #1 & #3. Also #4 makes sense to me because I used to do a shorter morning & evening cardio session a few months back & I lost more weight then, now that I just do one long morning session I don't see as much loss #5 I am almost there on, I have a huge spinach & kale protein shake every morning after my work out, but I could start doing salads too. I'm going to start following these tips along with the eating plan the blog suggests. I have a huge Christmas party to go to Dec. 8th & I want to look amazing :happy:

Transformation Tips

1.Don't eat high glycemic carbohydrates right before bed. Carbohydrates are those that contain sugar or are highly processed. These would include most breakfast cereals, breads, snack foods, candies, and even fruits and juices. Eating these foods immediately prior to bedtime will likely result in increased fat deposit and will prevent your body from maintaining a successful fat-burning mode.

2. Increase your muscle mass! The more lean muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn even at rest. Muscle is extremely active metabolically. Do some resistance training, add some muscle, and crank up that metabolism.

3. Never let yourself get too hungry, or too stuffed. It really is all about moderation. Time your meals so that you eat before you are starving . . . doing this one simple thing will cause you to almost always eat less. When you do eat, stop when your satisfied not when you are so stuffed you cannot even get down another bite.

4. Double up on your cardio training. From time to time it may be beneficial to the fat-burning process for you to split your cardio training into two short sessions rather than one longer one. Studies suggest that people who do 30 minutes of morning cardio and then 30 minutes of evening cardio lose more fat than those doing just one 60 minute session.

5. Eat more high fiber foods. Most of us do not get enough fiber in our daily diets, and that’s just a shame. Fiber not only promotes overall general health, but also can significantly aid in your fat-burning efforts. Leafy greens and salads are ideal sources of fiber. ____________________________________________

Replies

• DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    bump
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Great tips. Thanks for posting this!

Bumping!
  • RamoZimm
    RamoZimm Posts: 95 Member
    All sounds good. Will try the twice a day cardio advice tomorrow. Too late for today! Thanks for sharing.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Anytime :happy:
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Good tips. I personally disagree with number 1 and number 4, though. :)
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    #4 - I like the long cardio work outs, I get that runners high only after longer workouts and I'm a junkie. Plus I'd have to take two showers a day!
  • Liz915
    Liz915 Posts: 123
    great tips, thanks
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    I got this from a blog I recently started reading: http://patspersonaltraining.blogspot.com/?m=1

The tips seem pretty good so I wanted to share & hopefully some people will find this helpful.

It makes so much sense & explains why I feel like my progress is kind of stalling, I'm super guilty of #1 & #3. Also #4 makes sense to me because I used to do a shorter morning & evening cardio session a few months back & I lost more weight then, now that I just do one long morning session I don't see as much loss #5 I am almost there on, I have a huge spinach & kale protein shake every morning after my work out, but I could start doing salads too. I'm going to start following these tips along with the eating plan the blog suggests. I have a huge Christmas party to go to Dec. 8th & I want to look amazing :happy:

Transformation Tips

1.Don't eat high glycemic carbohydrates right before bed. Carbohydrates are those that contain sugar or are highly processed. These would include most breakfast cereals, breads, snack foods, candies, and even fruits and juices. Eating these foods immediately prior to bedtime will likely result in increased fat deposit and will prevent your body from maintaining a successful fat-burning mode.

2. Increase your muscle mass! The more lean muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn even at rest. Muscle is extremely active metabolically. Do some resistance training, add some muscle, and crank up that metabolism.

3. Never let yourself get too hungry, or too stuffed. It really is all about moderation. Time your meals so that you eat before you are starving . . . doing this one simple thing will cause you to almost always eat less. When you do eat, stop when your satisfied not when you are so stuffed you cannot even get down another bite.

4. Double up on your cardio training. From time to time it may be beneficial to the fat-burning process for you to split your cardio training into two short sessions rather than one longer one. Studies suggest that people who do 30 minutes of morning cardio and then 30 minutes of evening cardio lose more fat than those doing just one 60 minute session.

5. Eat more high fiber foods. Most of us do not get enough fiber in our daily diets, and that’s just a shame. Fiber not only promotes overall general health, but also can significantly aid in your fat-burning efforts. Leafy greens and salads are ideal sources of fiber. ____________________________________________

I have had success but I would like to offer a different perspective.

First, you want to eat as healthy as you can because it makes you feel better and perform better, and makes you healthier, and reducing sugar (especially HFCS) is part of that. All that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

Second, everyone needs resistance training to improve their health and bone density and this will especially improve your quality of life when you get older. But you will not gain all that much lean body mass as fast as everyone thinks. Guys of course will gain more. A DXA scan will prove the point. There are lots of stories about changing size but no one REALLY knows unless they do a DXA scan. Here's more about that --> http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/intermittent-fasting-and-bulking/ This is true whether you IF or not. My DXA scans proved that I really didn't gain that much lean body mass yet I look very muscular for a female. I have very high bone density from over 30 years of lifting yet my lean body mass is still only 104 lbs and my RMR is still only 1380.

Third, it does not matter when you eat or how long of a break you take between meals. The feeling of hunger will not hurt you. If you have emotional eating issues that is a separate issue that needs to be addressed aside from eating for weight loss. Another article --> http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html This is true if you IF or not.

Fourth, cardio is good for you but it is optional. I love cardio, but you can't out exercise too many calories. Of course you burn calories, but not near what all the HRM's say. I learned the hard way, running marathon after marathon (yes even multiple runs during the day), as well as hitting the gym hard, martial arts, staying active all the time, not eating while watching TV, not binging, not mindlessly eating, not pigging out, not having emotional eating issues, yet I gained weight year after year, each decade putting on the pounds. I worked harder and harder, not able to figure out what was wrong. It didn't seem like I ate too much, but for my small size I did and didn't realize it until just a few years ago when I finally started losing weight by eating less.

Everyone is different, but it's very easy to do a lot of cardio and think you can eat more than your really need, especially when you need to lose weight. It is also easy to think that you are burning more fat than you really are. Just do cardio if you enjoy it and because it's good for you.

Fiber is really good for you. But when it comes to "burning fat" and weight loss it comes down to calories. A calorie deficit. It's really not any more complicated that that.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Good tips. I personally disagree with number 1 and number 4, though. :)

Yeah, #1 is just a myth. And #4 - it's hard to say why those people lost more fat. Were they changing their eating habits due to 2 exercise sessions? What other changes did they make?
  • kikiriedle
    kikiriedle Posts: 12 Member
    bump for later
  • Very interesting.....thank u