The Kid's Question

Options
harlylena
harlylena Posts: 125 Member
My young son recently asked me a question that I found intriguing.

"What's it all for? You go to a school you'll hate for four years, graduate, go for another four years, graduate, get a job you'll probably hate, go home, then start again..."

So we're curious, what do YOU think it's all for?

Replies

• krowanvil
    krowanvil Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    In short, survival.
    Food, shelter, clothing, etc are not given to us freely, so we must work to earn them. The choice to pursue higher education is typically driven by a desire to have a higher standard of living (so that going home at the end of the day is a little nicer).

Just my 2 cents.
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    IMO there is only one reason we put up with school (at least higher education).

1) the goal is to get a job that earns you decent money and to get a job that you actually like and are good at

With decent money you can provide for the family and afford to do the 'fun' things in life you want to do.
    If you end up not liking a job, another good reason to put up with higher education is so it is easier to leave unpleasant job and find job that you do like.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    That's a little bit fatalistic for me. You don't have to hate what you do. There are compromises you can make in order to be happy.

I worked as a biochemist for a few years, but didn't enjoy the work. I realized that I spent time in school studying it, but that didn't mean my career was set in stone. I took a pay hit to do what I wanted, and it was well worth it to change. Life is about options, not self-imposed pennance to do what you 'have' to do.

I'm encouraging my son to pursue a higher education, in order for him to have options. What he chooses to do with those options is up to him, but it is good to be open minded about what the future can bring.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My oldest is only 11, but we already talk (very rarely and casually) about going to school for something that is both rewarding and pays well enough to support a family/lifestyle that he wants. I'm a nurse. I make decent money and love what I do. I don't think you have to choose one or the other. I can't justify doing something I hate 40+ hours a week to be able to afford a vacation. I'd rather love my life at home daily than be miserable and need an expensive break once or twice a year.
  • harlylena
    Options
    Perfect responses! Thank you!
  • harlylena
    Options
    Bump for the afternoon 'crowd'