Heart Rate Monitors!

Options
2»

Replies

• sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I had bought the Polar FT7, loved it but I hate wearing watches and I really wanted something that could sync without additional items, so I upgraded to the Polar Wearlink Bluetooth. LOVE IT - when used with Endo it can track distance, avg speed, laps, calories, heart rate (and abg rate per exercise), plus I have Endo linked to MFP so it posts here every time I use it. And... for normal things (not outside activity) it still works, but won't track distance/speed if you don't move (or leave the GPS off).
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Nike+ Sportwatch is awesome....if all you care about is running (which I do, and I really don't care about calories). That said, if you do other types of workouts and want calorie info, don't go with the Nike.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    just checked the price for polar and garmin and they are a bit pricey.

for a beginner, do you think a cheap HRM will still do the job?

Where did you look? I got my Polar FT4 for under 80 bucks through amazon (and that includes shipping) I got a "cheap" Timex Ironman, which worked well but didn't fit my wrist right, for 90 bucks
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you run or cycle outdoors go for the Garmin. I jave an FR410. You can easily use it indoors as well all you have to do is switch off the GPS.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use a Timex Run Trainer HRM and it does a good job for what I need. The chest strap is comfortable and the batteries are user replaceable. It tracks time, calories and max, min and avg. heart rate. It doesn't interface with the treadmill and ellipitcal I use but the display on the watch is easy to read while running.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I have the FT4 and like it a lot, even though the chest strap can get annoying (it slides down occasionally during work-outs, even after I tighten it). It's really easy to use and I like the timer function so I can time my work-outs.

I don't know if I'm weird or not lol, but unlike just about everyone, I found out that the MFP database was grossly UNDERestimating my calories burned. Anyway, investing in a HRM has been worth it to me. :smile:
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I bought the Motiva Petite about two years ago. I liked it at first but now I am thinking about buying a new one becuase I would like it to do more things that other HRM do.
  • mermaidrae
    mermaidrae Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It seems like everyone likes the Polars over Garmins. Has anyone had both types and prefers one over the other? And would you recommend a different brand than the FT4 or the FR70?
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar (not sure of the model) and just splurged on a Garmin. As someone said, if you run outdoors the Garmin will tell you the distance and your speed, the Polar does not. I bought the Garmin 110 because it is a basic watch with HRM and GPS.
  • Fit4LifeJulie
    Fit4LifeJulie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT60 a few weeks ago and I love it. I really wanted the FT60 because it keeps track of the amount of energy (intensity) you spend on each workout. It will also break it down into three HR target zones so you know where you can improve. I do many of the same workout routines and it is nice to know that I am increasing my intensity for each workout. You can also get a GPS for it or the foot pod so if you are a runner it will keep track of time/distance as well as everything else. It’s also a nice looking watch so you can wear it all day. I got mine off eBay for $81.00 (Amazon has them for $151.00)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7. I have not had it for long and don't use all my features. What makes it different from the FT4?

Originally the difference was that the batteries in the FT7 were user changeable and the ones in the FT4 were not. I've read since then that they've upgraded the FT4 so that the batteries are user changeable so the difference between the two is probably just price.
    just checked the price for polar and garmin and they are a bit pricey.

for a beginner, do you think a cheap HRM will still do the job?

Unfortunately, good HRMs are normally $50+. But they are well worth the investment. And unless you manage to find one with a chest strap, the cheap ones aren't going to be accurate.
    I looked at several Polar devices, and the extra cost for the device to upload data to the computer, plus the lack of replaceable batteries in many of the straps (depending on model) seems consumer-unfriendly.

I believe that all the Polars are updated so that you can change your own batteries now.

Regarding the uplink, it isn't required. I stop my workout timer on my watch when I'm done and then use the MFP app on my phone to enter in the details right then and there. Sure, the uplink makes it easier (as does the FitBit uplink) but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. It is just another aspect of logging just like my food is.

Edit; Couple of typos.
  • childrenrus
    childrenrus Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Good info. Thanks everyone. You really need to know what activities you like to do, --I run through six stop lights on every outside run, so the "auto-pause" feature is something I really want, and that narrows my choices down A LOT.

Rainmaker DC has a comparison chart if you click on the right hand side of his blog so you can see the difference in features. He reviews Garmins, not Polars as far as I can tell. I've decoded what Garmin I'd like, now for the Polar comparisons. WHEW!

Somebody has got to make this easier! And for women...geez, that makes it even more complex with running watch (size) if you want to occasionally have it on for HR during the day for other non-running activities. With as much technology as is currently available, it's a shame you have to pick and choose basic features and pick them apart quite so much.