Motivation with an Unmotivated Spouse?

Options
How do you find the motivation to eat right, and workout when you have an Unmotivated Spouse?

My husband and I started this journey together, the first year he lost 100lbs and I lost 30lbs.. by the end of that first year, I gained back almost everything I lost due to surgery well he maintained his weight loss.

The second year (2011), I lost 50lbs, but he gained back almost 60lbs, and stopped going to the gym, stopped eating right, stopped doing anything that resembles moving at all. (unless you count moving your fingers on the Xbox controller or laptop)

2012 - I was put on medication that causes weight gain, however, I was able to maintain my weight and even lose 5lbs from Jan-June, when I came off the medication I gained 10lbs... and have slowly been fighting another 10lb gain ever since, even going to the gym!

I'm not blaming my husband for my troubles, but I have to say having a spouse that is on board with you makes a HUGE difference... someone who wants to workout instead of sit on the couch, or who will go for that run with you. I'm finding myself stuck in this rut, where I just want to go home where he is (on the couch) instead of going to the gym. I make it to the gym maybe 1-2 days a week if that now a days, and the damn scale just keeps going up (actually I've been in the same range now since July).

Weekends are horrible to, as we are on the road all weekend so we eat out, and of-course he doesn't care, so he will order a cheeseburger, and it's super hard to order something healthy when he is eating horribly himself. .So by Monday I am up 5-6lbs and have to fight all week to get it back down.

I've asked him several times about going back to the gym, or working out, or eating healthy and he just says "I'm just not into it" - as his stomach is growing bigger (and yes its noticeable) - I just want to shake him and be like "I need you to want this" - because if he is on board, it's so much easier for me to be on board.

Replies

• crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Wow, no one has advice? thats a first... lol
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do... but you might not like it. lol.

I am the unmotivated spouse. Or, more accurately, I WAS the unmotivated spouse.

As I slowly gained 30 pounds, my wife got up every morning at 5:45 and hit the gym before work. Early on, she asked me about going to the gym a few times and I blew her off like her husband did to you. I just didn't feel like going.

But here's the thing... as I watched her get leaner, healthier, firmer, sexier, my pride started to finally kick in. I said, "I don't want to be known as her FAT husband" and so I finally got off my butt and started hitting the gym. It took a while, but her consistency and results finally inspired me.

I think right now you just need to focus on doing this yourself. When you succeed, you will motivate him. Don't pester him - just say, "Do what you want to do." But silently use his apathy to motivate you. Think to yourself... "I'll show HIM!" and recognize that the more you do the more you'll inspire him and encourage him.

Right now, my wife and I are at the gym every day. I'm usually arriving as she's leaving - I start work later than she does so I make sure the kids get off to school and then go. On the weekend we usually work out together. We're finally at the point where we motivate and support each other, which is definitely a great place to be.

Hang in there... you have to take the lead and show him the way (not tell him the way, lol). It will be harder for you without his support until he gets on board, but that's the way it's going to be for a while. Feel free to add me as a friend - I'll try to offer you as much support as I can.
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You can only work on you. Your spouse would have to want it too. My husband does not work out nor is he overly worried about his nutrition. I have gotten him to walk the dogs with me on days he is off and we increase the distance usually once a week. He also has been tolerant of the new foods I am cooking.

Concentrate on yourself and like the poster said before maybe your husband will get into it after he sees the results on you.
  • mnmomto4
    mnmomto4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My husband has never struggled with his weight. He is about 10 lbs overweight. The five years we have been married he has finally figured out that I have to work very very hard at losing weight. He is very supportive when it comes to giving me compliments on my weight loss but as far as working out with me or ordering something healthy the few times we eat out, that does not happen. As paxbfl said, keep working on it. When he sees you getting leaner and sexier he will want to do it. He doesn't want to be the fat husband with the sexy wife. As I am getting leaner, my husband is starting to try. He still isn't great, but he is getting better. He will offer to walk with me in the evenings and will watch the kids for a half hour so I can run on the treadmill. He also asks if he can buy some ice cream or some other unhealthy treat before he goes out and buys it. Sorry I don't have great advice but just hang in there. Dont give up and I am sure he will turn around with enough time.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I have to go it alone, too. My husband could not be less interested. It used to bother me a great deal but this time around (since late August) I don't involve myself in what he does or does not want to do. I'm sure he doesn't believe that I am making a lasting change this time because I've started and abandoned so many fitness goals, so who could blame him. I certainly hope he notices me improving my fitness and appearance and decides he doesn't want to be left behind, but I'm not holding my breath (or eating a bowl of chips with him).
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have an unmotivated spouse--but he's not nearly as overweight as I am. Since I've started my weight-loss journey--he's been making small comments like, "wish it was that easy for me" or, "I need to do like my wife does". He just needs time. I don't have time. I've been too depressed about my weight and body image for TOO LONG.

Seriously, forget about the unmotivated people in your life--be it a spouse, friend, or family member. Do this for YOU.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My spouse-to-be is pretty unmotivated as well. He could stand to lose about 20 lbs easily, and the real shame of it all is that he drops weight SO EASILY when he puts effort into it (just like most men...right!? Ugh!). But I have figured out that he has to want it for himself, as I do. So I cannot let his lack of motivation derail me. I just keep my own goals in mind and let him do his thing.
  • darcie90
    darcie90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have been living together for almost 4 yrs now and dating for 5. He has always been underweight and able to eat 3500+ calories a day of awful food and not gain a lb. He does have an active job since he does construction but the rest of the day remains extremely sedentary. Couch, boxers and xbox controller. I tried to fight it, get him in the gym to lift weights, go on walks and all of that but I just became a broken record and have learned that while It is hard it doesn't matter. You and I don't NEED them to get where we want to be. I don't want to be on the couch, I want to eat food for fuel and health not completely for taste and emotional satisfaction. While it is always easier to have your significant other involved, this is your journey! You do it yourself. Somedays it is really hard to not stay cuddled on the couch and watch a movie instead of hitting the gym but you gotta do it if it is what you want. If you need motivation or anything lemme know. I got your back! You can do it...and one day your husband will realize he has a lot of work ahead of him to catch up with how crazy hot your going to look and how healthy your going to be :]
  • crazyellybean
    Options

As I slowly gained 30 pounds, my wife got up every morning at 5:45 and hit the gym before work. Early on, she asked me about going to the gym a few times and I blew her off like her husband did to you. I just didn't feel like going.

But here's the thing... as I watched her get leaner, healthier, firmer, sexier, my pride started to finally kick in. I said, "I don't want to be known as her FAT husband" and so I finally got off my butt and started hitting the gym. It took a while, but her consistency and results finally inspired me.

I think right now you just need to focus on doing this yourself. When you succeed, you will motivate him. Don't pester him - just say, "Do what you want to do." But silently use his apathy to motivate you. Think to yourself... "I'll show HIM!" and recognize that the more you do the more you'll inspire him and encourage him.

Right now, my wife and I are at the gym every day. I'm usually arriving as she's leaving - I start work later than she does so I make sure the kids get off to school and then go. On the weekend we usually work out together. We're finally at the point where we motivate and support each other, which is definitely a great place to be.

Hang in there... you have to take the lead and show him the way (not tell him the way, lol). It will be harder for you without his support until he gets on board, but that's the way it's going to be for a while. Feel free to add me as a friend - I'll try to offer you as much support as I can.

haha... little do you know, your post is probably exactly what I needed to hear...

You are 100% right, I just need to do it and not worry about what he is doing, and only hope that he catches on down the line.

At the end of August I had a big birthday party bash with lots of friends there who kept commenting about my weight loss to him "Wow, Elly has lost so much weight" - so I know eventually it will kick in.

In the meantime I need to work on me.. and not worry about him.
  • crazyellybean
    Options
    Thank You Everyone for your input.. and you guys are right, I can do this without him.. I just need to concentrate on what I want, and what I need to do to get there.
  • fanarad
    fanarad Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I feel like my boyfriend couldn't be less motivated to lose weight. He's recent come to the realization that his old jeans don't fit anymore and that he is overweight, complains about it, but still won't do a thing. It just frustrates me that he won't even do something so simple as eat a piece of fruit a day, yet he still complains. I've tried telling him about this program to attempt to motivate him by showing him how easy it could be, but he won't do a thing. It also doesn't help either of us that I only started eating fast food again when we started seeing each other over a year ago, and it's always a struggle to eat healthy when we are together.

Does anyone have any tips for how to deal with this situation?
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've had the unmotivated spouse myself. I made huge efforts at changing my diet habits and getting exercise every day. I went vegetarian and stayed that way for years (I eat fish now, but not other meat).

My spouse would eat fast food throughout the week and store high-calorie junk foods at the house. Little debbies, twinkies, chocolate donuts were constantly available.

While I lost 100 pounds through sheer determination, I yoyoed a lot because I was constantly fighting temptation in my home with her sweets. I have to say that I felt extremely unsupported in my effort to lose weight. She never decided to commit to a weightloss journey despite the fact that her hyper-obesity was a serious threat to her health. Whereas I lost 100 pounds, she gained about 100. It seemed to me like she was choosing food over our life together. I never said it to her, but we both knew that she could be dead in 5 years if she didn't do something about her weight. She never tried until she decided to get the gastric bypass.

She ended up getting a gastric bypass, and has since lost all the weight. But we're also separated now. I'm still struggling to get to my goal weight, but I'm not having to fight the temptation of junk food in my own home anymore.

I'm not against lapband, but the problem is, that with the gastric bypass, she'll never be able to absorb medicine as well if she needs it. She has two immediate members of her family who have Crohn's disease. It is extremely likely that she will one day need medications. She wanted to lose the weight as fast as possible, so she elected for the bypass instead of the lapband (though they both end up the same proportion of weightloss by 5 years out).
  • crazyellybean
    Options
    I'm not against lapband, but the problem is, that with the gastric bypass, she'll never be able to absorb medicine as well if she needs it. She has two immediate members of her family who have Crohn's disease. It is extremely likely that she will one day need medications. She wanted to lose the weight as fast as possible, so she elected for the bypass instead of the lapband (though they both end up the same proportion of weightloss by 5 years out).

Eck, you would think she would understand the difference. Losing weight as fast as she can versus long term effects that could help her in the future! Thats a tuff situation...

Awesome work on going vegan and getting to where you need to be! Thank You for sharing your story.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My husband is currently unmotivated to make changes for himself. He will walk with me a couple times a week, and is proud of my weight loss and understands my need to eat better, but we have had words a few times when he gets frustrated with me weighing food or asking for the recipe to input it in mfp (he does most of the family cooking).

I'm making changes for myself. My health. My body. My self.

Yes, it would be nice if we were in this together, but even though we are a couple, we are individuals and now is not the time for him.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Tell him about the weight lifter that keeps hitting on you at the gym.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Tell him about the weight lifter that keeps hitting on you at the gym.

This.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I just do it. I had a heart attack and decided to live and not die. It depends on no one but me.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

What great advice!!

I Also agree - Keep doing it and remember WHY you want to go to the gym. You know he will still be there on the couch 45 mins later after your gym sesh!! :)

Stick with it and remember why it is important to YOU :)
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, you either want it or you don't. I'm in a similar situation and the opportunities to endulge are there everyday. It does make it tougher but I can't put barriers up to the rest of the world (the office, friends, social gatherings, etc.), I have to keep myself on track. I wish I had some magic for you, but either you want it or you don't.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I can't even get my husband to go for a walk with me. I've tried.

About all we do together anymore is watch Netflix or DVDs before bed.