Oral Fixation...

Options
LOL. Some of you who open this thread are gonna be disappointed...but I didn't know how else to word it.

You know how smokers sometimes miss the action of smoking and not so much the cigarette itself?

That is how I'm feeling with food. I know I'm not hungry...but I guess I just miss the comfort of eating.

Do any of you have the same feeling? What do you do to conquer it? I was thinking of just chewing gum all the time or maybe keeping my hands busy by learning to knit or something LOL!

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I chew a lot of gum haha. Then I'm actually chewing, and everything tastes minty so I can't eat for a while anyway.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Ah man,definitely not what I expected....I've been bamboozled. Nothing to see here. *Walks out*
  • dmclaughlin123
    Options
    You have the desire to do whats best for yourself, now just stay focused and know that if you go over your goals for the day you will have to exercise it off. Also ok to eat small portion brtween meals , just make sure its heathy. Do'nt keep ANY thing in the house that's not.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Yes... I chew gum and sip tea or water all day. Knitting does help keep your hands busy... but my son it embarrassed when I do it in public. I also have a worry stone... just a smooth rock that I can fiddle with and a stress ball.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I chew gum, drink water or tea, low calorie hard candy, vegetables that are low in calories to munch, I also bought some miso soup that's 20 calories I sip on that some. I actually got some of those little hand exercise things that you squeeze to keep my hands busy.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I do the gum thing at work. I always have a pack of gum on me for that reason. I agree with a poster above about minty gum and then I can't really eat anything after because of the taste, but that's not a big deal. I also drink more water that way. I have a bottle that I keep at work and constantly fill up. :)
  • nicolelong84
    Options
    Chew gum and drink water. I have the same problem. It is getting better. :)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I did chew gum for a bit, but I found it made me feel bloated

I drink a crazy amount of water, or brush my teeth. I hate the taste of anything mixed with the taste of toothpaste!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Chew gum, drink water and brush your teeth....

i can't eat for quite a while after I brush my teeth.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    just go with it
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    <<<INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTED! :sad:
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    First off, I would like to say I knew before I clicked on this that this would be G rated :wink:

And yes... I self diagnosed myself with an Oral Fixation. And also a Ricky Bobby, "I don't know what to do with my hands".

I've combined the two problems with ALWAYS have a liquid to drink with me. (I prefer hot, but normally those are calorie filled). If I could have a latte in my hand all day I completely would! I also have my water bottle too.

I also just got a Keurig, so I'm hoping to find some low calorie options (I dont like tea, and only coffee with cream, milk, sugar).
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    <<<INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTED! :sad:

LOL I'm so sorry.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    Suck on something...

Like some ice cubes.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You just need to find something else to fill your mouth with.

I chew ice.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

I chew ice.

I watch.
    12! 12 ice cubes! AH HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAA!
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    hold on a seccy, oral fixation could be the right word.

lets go back to that mad nutter Freud - revolutionary in his time.

One of the phases he has is the Oral phase.

Developed during Birth–2 years: wherein the infant's mouth is the focus of libidinal gratification derived from the pleasure of feeding at the mother's breast, and from the oral exploration of his or her environment, i.e. the tendency to place objects in the mouth.

Orally aggressive: chewing gum and the ends of pencils, etc.
    Orally Passive: smoking, eating, kissing, oral sexual practices
    Oral stage fixation might result in a passive, gullible, immature, manipulative personality.looks for instant gratification

what do you think? Is there a link between over-eaters and Freuds theory?
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

I chew ice.

I suck on ice chips.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Chew gum, drink water and brush your teeth....

i can't eat for quite a while after I brush my teeth.

someone in my FL said they were incredibly disappointed with my answer....

so i'm adding something to it....

oral sex....it also helps keep the chewing addiction away...
  • ninjakowski
    Options
    My biggest breakthrough with this problem was finding mint tea (mint flavoured green tea is my fav. atm) - if I drink a cup after a meal, it really helps kill the cravings. I thought it was something to do with just giving my mouth an alternative to snacks, but now I'm wondering if its also something similar to toothpaste with the mint flavour - really cuts down on the desire for eating.