Not so new...rather ashamed

Options
Hey peoples!

So, here's the thing. I'm not so new to the MFP community, but as of late I seem to be stuck in a cycle of self-sabotage. It all started last December. I had been doing really well, was mere pounds from my goal weight then i fell down the stairs, messed up my knee and it all went downhill. I was not really able to get much cardio in while i was awaiting knee surgery. Then after that was the rehab. Well...now, almost a year later i have gained back all the weight i lost (and then some). I keep telling myself that I did it once, so I can do it again. And i know that i can. But then I went back to school full time.
I am a full time first-year law student. (Translated: I really don't have a whole lot of time to do anything that isn't class related and when i do i veg out in front of the tv.) I AM ASHAMED OF MYSELF!! The gym is literally a 5 minute WALK from my apartment. It's free. But for some reason I cannot make myself get off my @$$ and take it to the gym. And then to top it off, I'm too tired to cook, so I eat whatever's fast and cheap (Translated: Not good for me in any way!)
So here I am. Asking for support from the peoples of MFP. I need to find some sort of motivation to get back to the gym. I'm not happy with my appearance, or the way I'm feeling. I NEED TO CHANGE THINGS. I could absolutely decide to put this off until the new year, but I don't want to make this a resolution (how many of those do we really maintain past January?)
That's my story. I'm not the example for anyone to follow, but I make a good friend. I can and do motivate others, and I'm looking for people who can offer me the same.
Thanks for letting me vent. If ya wanna add me as a friend feel free. I'm ready to make changes because I'm tired of how I feel. If you're in the same boat, let's do this together!

Replies

• sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm new here but I know how you feel - I guess many of us are in the "let's start over" league...

What I noticed what it takes is a single "click" sometimes: in my case it is always a day when I do something very different from the usual. This weekend we had a large family gathering, the type I usually do not attend. I don't know if it was being around all the different people, the no-television and no-internet thing, or just my jeans giving up on the zipper in the loo, but today I got up all determined, ate fish and vegetables only, and found my gym membership too in the depth of my drawers...

I spent the last six months too in this working-TV-watching-eating-whatever Bermuda triangle and I knew it was not good, yet it is so hard to stop, isn't it?
  • SadieU
    Options
    Hey, to be honest I just started this thing for a school assignment and the first day I started I used as a test run to see what my eating habits were really like.. I had -1000 and some! I am 18 years old, have two girls under 2, am a full-time student, and work part-time.. I find time to go workout, but without having the money to hire a babysitter, it is less time than I would otherwise. If you put your mind to it you can do it! You know you could always start during the summer when you don't have school to worry about so you can get a routine going before you start school again. Today is my third day on MFP and yesterday I was only -600 and some. :D So I believe in you! Just remember once you actually get in that gym and workout you will so much better about yourself that you will want to do it everyday!
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am so grateful for my second chance (by-pass surgery in July 2012), that I want to help as many people as possible. I need to lose about 50 more lbs, so you can add me as a friend if you want. I'm trying to improve my skills at "reaching out to others" because I am pretty happy being an island.

It sounds like your mind was made up until you fell. I believe all people who lose weight have a mind to lose weight. It sounds like you used the fall as an excuse to give up instead of continuing on a limited course of exercise, like working your strength training and upper body cardio abilities.

Take advantage of this new motivation to fight past the setbacks. I used to be married to a man who would begin baking like crazy every time I announced I was trying to lose weight. I finally got really strong and decided that I would not eat any food that was fattening (which really offended him). He started cooking healthier food and I started eating his food again (men get really offended if you don't eat their cooking). Rely on us to help you.

You have to stay strong. BTW gastric bypass surgery is the most difficult thing I've ever done. I am the easier part (in some ways)-no longer throwing up once a week, but still eating 500 calories per day when not exercising but my mind is made up because my health and quality of life depends on this weightloss.

I don't know how to add people to my support group so please add me to yours.