Holidays & Food

Options
13»

Replies

• yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to watch my portions and eat my food. I'm not going to get stressed out about the calories, etc. I'm going to try to remember to track my food. I'm going to enjoy my family and enjoy their cooking. I'm going to make sure that I drink more water then soda. I know this isn't how I normally eat, what I eat during the holidays, so having this for one to two days isn't going to harm me much. Leftover are the best...!!! I think it can be much harder for people who have food addictions during the holidays. But if you portion your food and not glutton yourself, I think you will be fine. Remember it takes 20-30 minutes for your belly to register that you are full. So maybe drink a glass of water before you eat may help you not to over eat..it's a thought.

Thanksgiving should be easier then Christmas since I'm going over my brothers and only have to bring the dessert, I won't have all those leftovers for days.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am doing 2 5k's between now and Christmas, so I've been getting in more exercise and will continue to as I focus on those. This will help me stay away from the treats brought into work and other parties. While it is technically "just 2 days" - let's be honest. It's really about 5 weeks of nonstop parties, dinners, happy hours, etc. I have 3 Thanksgiving meals that I have to attend and only one is on Thanksgiving. SO....for all other days, I will not eat potatoes, stuffing, pie, etc. Take the skin off the turkey and fill my plate with veggies. I'll be running one 5k on Thanksgiving morning, and my reward will be a reasonably sized piece of pie. I plan on logging and trying to stay under 2000 cals.

In my opinion, the worst thing I can do is get into the "splurge, it's only twice a year" because it will take me off the focus and zone that I'm in right now. I cannot and will not have a 5 week free for all :-)
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i am going to stuff my face with whatever i choose and exercise more for a couple of weeks
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving was in October for me as I am in Canada, so I will speak solely on Christmas.

I am definitely going to continue logging and being conscious of my food choices throughout that time. I will probably not indulge very much during any of the parties or candy-filled festivities leading up to Christmas day - I've been to events and in sticky situations before, why should these be any different?

On Christmas Day though, I probably won't count my calories. It's ONE day... and if I am extra good the week prior, I can afford to indulge on that day. Even "indulging" I am going to make sure I don't get carried away though - i'm not going to be measuring my portions, but I am also not going to go back for seconds or thirds. =)

This is my plan so far haha.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I purposely scheduled my bulk around the holidays, and my cut after the New Year.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I'll be doing what I've done the last 4 years. Running/working out and eating in moderation.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat whatever I want to on Thanksgiving day and Christmas Day. In between, I'll have things in moderation when I do all of my baking, etc.
  • CindyBlakeGoble
    CindyBlakeGoble Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I didn't get fat by eating too much on Thanksgiving or Christmas....or any other holiday for that matter. I got fat by eating too much every day of the year.

THIS says alot!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing to remember is that each holiday is really only one day.
    Thanksgiving is Thursday, not also Wednesday night, Friday and Saturday.
    Christmas and Christmas Eve are each one day(not 12).

That helps you not feel deprived, it allows you to celebrate, but also keep control.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to deal with it is to not deprive yourself. Have a little of everything BUT don't go back for 2nds and 3rds like last year. Make sure you get in your daily workouts and even add an extra 15 minutes if you can. It's the holidays so treat yourself but don't overdo it :)
  • Marie4106
    Options
    Thanksgiving I am pretty much going to eat what I want but everything I make I am going to try to make it with low fat or fat free items. I did it last year and nobody could even tell. I did it with the pies as well and they were great! I also work out in the morning and then once again at night before bed. Good Luck everyone and happy holidays!
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Spain, (i say that because I hate the fact that we have to wait until December to start decorating home, and I love decorations so much!) but it's one celebration less to worry about in relation to my battle with food XD
    I plan to indulge on Christmas Eve and stick to healthy options for New Years Eve, with the exception of the dessert, I'll eat whatever I feel like.
    I would usually over indulge in both occassions but I'm too closed to my final goal and I want to start maintenance mode ASAP.

I'd say, just eat whatever you like but avoid binge eating and you'll be just fine. Even if you put on some weight, you have the whole of next year to revert the side efects ;)

Have fun at Thanksgiving party for me and enjoy!
  • lat2935
    Options
    I agree with this 100%. Thanksgiving won't be a big deal for my family but christmas is in terms of food.